Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 310 Ultralight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzito, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Some of you may recall my obsession with finding a multiple 10 loaded cab that was light weight but loud enough to cut through an aggressive guitar player and drummer. I bit the bullet and bought the Epifani 310 Ultralight a few weeks ago. Didn't post until I had the chance to play it at a few gigs. GET THIS CAB! Seriously, this is an outstanding cab...probably the best natural lows of any cab I've ever played through...and balanced from lows to highs. While it has a very deep character, the lows are controlled and tight. I attribute some of this to having only 3 10's as opposed to 4...has the tightness of a 210 but the bigness of a 410, if that makes sense. The tweeter is sweet but kicks in at a pretty low frequency, so I have it rolled off a bit, as I do with most tweeters...I'm not a slapper anymore. It likes my GK 1001RBII better than my Ashdown EVO500. The Epi is clean and uncolored and so is the GK, so they complement each other very well. The Epi/GK combo point out the natural characteristics of each of my basses without making them sound sterile as some hi fi cabs do. It sounds better now that it has been broken in a bit...warmer and punchy. A fellow bassist played a flat wound Longhorn through it last night and it sounded really punchy and even across the spectrum. I highly recommend this cab...I may have found the holy grail of portable powerful cabs...and it only weighs 47 pounds! Most expensive cab I've ever purchased though. Don't be scared of the neo in terms of sound quality...I'll definately keep you posted if I have any reliability problems associated with the neo or any of the other components.

2. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    I agree with you...in fact, it's one of the few cabinets I'm interested in...I've to wait until I receive my AI Focus 1, but I'll surely choose either the 310 or the 410 UL Epifani...maybe the 212, but I'll decide with the arrival of the amp!

3. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I thought long and hard about the 410UL, but decided on the 310 for two reasons:

1) I could get the volume I needed for most gigs with just a 210...it just lacked that room filling fullness. So my thinking was, just one more 10 plus a larger format cab (the 310 is close in dimensions to the 410)...in my experience, a larger cubic volume cab sounds fuller than two seperate cabs with the same number of drivers.

2) 47 pounds was just too sexy in terms of weight, even compared to the 59 pounds for the 410UL

Your decision of the Epi 310/410 vs the 212 comes down to your preference of the punch of 10's vs the roundness of 12's. I have the Berg mini stack with 12's, but came to the conclusion that I like 10's better than 12's. I still have the mini's and think they are a valuable component in my cab choices, but for most applications, the 310 will be my first choice...and as it proves itself, maybe my only gig cab.

I played it again today, same place as last night, different more aggressive band, and it sounded sooo fat yet articulate. Between sets, another band played...the bassist played a Stingray fretless 4 and it sounded nice and smooth yet punchy. For fretless, it needed a boost in the high mids on the GK to get more mwah...he says he often boosts 800hz (GK high mid boosts at 1K) to get more mwahticulation. My P Deluxe sounded big and fat and bloomed really nicely with bass on 1:00, mids and high mids flat and treble at 10:30 (somewhere close to Danial from GK's recommendation)...something a lot of hi fi cabs have difficulty with...not this one. I'll try not to be too overzealous folks, but this one's a winner.

4. funkbass

funkbass

Dec 9, 2004
    Great cab! I also have the 310UL with a Woods.....WOW!!!! Thats all that I can say

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey laz,

didnt i sell you my 3x10?

no matter, am saving for another. ;)

6. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    I have a Epifani 310 NYC and it is amazing. I don't use any type of preamp, only whatever preamp that is in my current bass. I run my bass straight into the back of a Crest Lt-1000 power amp. No coloration at all, only the bass.
    Everyone always asks "is all of that sound coming from that single 310?!" :bassist:

7. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Epifani web site say that the 310 is now working at 4 ohms, with some improvement...that's interesting...I'll wait to try one of those now...

8. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I went one better with regard to portability: a 2x10 UL and a 112 UL, both Epi's, hooked up to a Glockenklang Soul.

I particularly like the combination of 12" and 10" together, even better than the 4x10 NYC Epi that I owned before this.

If I have a low key rehearsal or small gig I bring along the 112, a bit more volume I take the 210, but whenever possible I take along both cabinets of course.

I was just as excited about Epifani when I first played them as you are now (in fact I still am), nothing short of a revelation after playing Eden for a couple of years.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!

grtz, steven

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Steven, how well do the T-112UL and the T-210UL stack together? Any photos?

10. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I put the 112 on top of the 210 since it is a bit smaller. I don't have picture handy at the moment but here is a link to a page of my website, picture at the bottom.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~string5/bassgear_main.html

Steven

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks! That looks pretty good. I wasn't sure how you had them configured.