Epifani 310UL...Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Jan 3, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ahh, the voice of reason...

cause, i should learn do my homework... :rollno::meh:.

still, dave knew a good thing when he saw/heard it, and i'm all the more grateful he was able to bring my TFB to my door.

yet, it goes without saying, that when i'm excited about a product, a guy cant help himself. and i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one on TB who's been guilty of such. :smug:

how i call it, is pretty much how i hear it. if i'm guilty of being honest w/ my experiences, so be it. whether or not that mirrors someone else's experiences shouldnt really be my concern.

also, whether or not someone acts solely upon my recommendation is up to them. i'd hope they'd do more than their own fair share of homework, too. ;)

still, i understand that as a moderator you're only looking out for the peeps here at TB, and i'm all the more glad that you are. thx again, smash-man. :cool:

2. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I'd like to recommend you check out an Epi 502UL with you 310UL. I've was using a WWU with my 410UL but the 502UL amp really made the speakers come alive. It has what I like to call back bone. But I've heard great things about the TF amp with Epi cab users.

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I'd love to check the 502UL out sometime, I've heard nothing but good things about it...

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Even though one recieves a lot of great unbiased imput here on TB, one should, IMO, always try out the gear first hand so you'll know with out a doubt that you're getting what you want.

5. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Very true. I'm not going to be in too much of a hurry to make a decision, since the SWR is getting the job done right now. But I plan on trying out a bunch of heads in the next few months!

6. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Update...

I got in another gig with the SWR/Epifani setup, and I'm still really impressed...this gig was in around the same size venue, with a band that wasn't playing as loud, but there wasn't any PA support. I had no problems in terms of volume, and I had tons of headroom. I had to turn down a few times during the gig, the notes were just jumping right out of the amp. I probably wouldn't want to play without a PA with a loud band with this setup, but with the gigs I do I most likely won't need to.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    nice!

i just realized that a few guys used to use a SWR / Epi rig... matt garrison (now Epi head), christian mcbride (now Glockenkang head) to name a few. so, maybe its not that bad of a matchup.

8. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Another update...

I played a gig last night in a medium sized room. The rest of the band was going through the PA while I just used my SWR/Epifani rig. We had 2 keyboardists - each playing 2 boards, fully miked drums, percussion, 4 background singers, a lead singer, and all of the songs we played were with full backing tracks (with additional synth parts, drums, claps, snaps, the works!)

I was worried about not going through the PA with all of this stuff going on, but there just wasn't enough inputs on the board for us. No problem though, I heard myself onstage very cleary...I had tons of headroom without sounding boomy at all. Even some of the small, subtle articulations that I do (ghost notes, hammers, etc.) could easily be heard when usually that stuff just gets lost in the mix with so much sound we're putting out. After the show I got compliments from the soundman and the lead singer on my tone (and its REALLY rare that a singer notices the bass players tone :) )

I was even more happy afterwards when I listened to the minidisc of the show. It was recording sitting in the back of the room, and my bass sounded great! It sounded like the "tone in my head", which I usually never hear on show recordings. When I play through the house the bass is all lows, a bit boomy, and very little articulation. Not the case last night!

A big bonus was after the show was over, I loaded all my gear in the car and was ready to go while the other cats were still on stage wrapping cables, and packing gear away.

I'm really happy with my sound right now, and I think that I'll be G.A.S. free for at least a couple months! ;)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    nice...

and heard your clips on you myspace page. very nice!

10. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks!

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, I didn't even know you had a myspace page (I hadn't noticed your sig line change since selling the SWR! ;)). Let me also say that I enjoy your playing on your page, and having met Jason in person several times, I just want to add that you are definitely a person I am proud to call a friend! :cool:

Your playing is very tasteful, and while you don't go to great efforts to show them off, you have some serious chops. I really like your playing style! And I agree that the UL310 is a great cab, especially for you and your playing style!

Enjoy!

Tom.

12. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks so much for the kind words, I'm just now seeing this. I'm also glad to have you as a friend!

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll try and do my best to reduce the number of times I say "playing style" in the future. :p :D

14. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Hey, thats just your signiture "writing style" :)

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I luv my 2 Acme Low B2s because I can use one for smaller gigs, and the two of them for larger gigs.

Do you have an opinion on the UL 310 being perhaps the one all purpose cab? Our playing is a couple outdoor gigs per year with PA support; otherwise I'm on my own for our club and private party gigs.

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Here's a quote from the Epifani site about the 310UL.
    "The newer and perfected design of this model with its improved speaker suspension and increased cabinet depth has to be heard to be believed! ".

Has anyone tried this new & improved version?
    Any opinions as to how it would sound paired with an AI Focus?

17. That's a VERY old quote. The improvement (which was primarily taking the cab from 16" to 18" depth) was made about 5 years ago with the old T-310. This change was carried forward to the next generation NYC's and the current UL's. They need to change that blurb!

The Focus sounds great with the smaller Epi's (110 and 112), and surprisingly good with the 410UL. I REALLY dislike it with the 210 and 310 (which are voiced pretty similarly). The 310 and 210UL seem to have more of a 'scoop' to them than the 112, 112 and 410, and that's not a good voicing IMO for the Focus.

18. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have two of the Epifani 310UL cabinets, They are truly amazing sounding cabinets. I use a QSC Powerlite 1.8 with an Alembic preamp, and these cabinets can take all the power that I dish out to them. The guys in my band also really noticed a change in tone as well, they said it was much more present and punchy. Needless to say I am very happy with my choice.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hehe,

guess a trip is order for me, my UL310, and the Focus. :)

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dood,

what's the first rule of TB?

we do not talk about...

NONO, not that one...

no pics, no dice!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021