epifani 3x10 vs. aggie gs-112's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, Sep 1, 2003.

1. clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    i cant decide which to get. here's the low down:
    i want portability, but need a good amount of power. epifani is more expensive, but is it worth it? i like to slap a lot, which would give me the better tone? which would handle the B-string better? and give me your opinions of if you have played either of these rigs. i have played the epifani at a low volume at the store. and i have read mucho raves about the aguilar gs-112's. i have about 800 to spend, but could save more for the epi. just dont know if its worth it. i want the rig to be somewhat portable because next year is college and dont want to haul a 6x10 or somethin around. also give me some other ideas for cabs that have a nice slap sound and have power/portability ability. thanks
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I don't know anything about epifany, but I like the GS-112 alot and I think two would handle your demands pretty well. my friend tried my ONE GS-112 with a 5 string sadowsky and he was impressed we didn't really crank up, but the tone on the low B sounded nice. He slapped a little and was impressed with the tweeter response too! I don't know if the 12 would be quick enough for slap though...

I THINK TWO GS-112'S might do the trick and at college one gs-112 would probably be great for dorm or house parties ;) two would be killer. The GS-112 is the biggest sounding 112 I've heard. I'm buying my second one this week!! 310 = 235.5 sqin, 212 = 226 sqin, close to area of 310's.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you will find the Epifani cab to sound much more hi-fi than the Aguilar cabs. It really depends on what you are going for. The Epifani will be punchy and bright, while the Aguilar will sound maybe a little smoother, with not as much clarity.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cant argue with the two previous posts. pretty much on target.

my take? the pair of GS112's will be better for a trio or small group where that billowy, big sound of the Aguilar's will fill in the emptiness quite well.

the Epi's 10" speakers are great for cutting thru a dense mix with authority. like Adrian said, its got a clarity that the Aguilars couldnt possibly match. compared to a larger 4x10, the 3x10 is a great compromise of air-pushing volume and a relatively small footprint and lighter weight.

but for a college kid where space is a valuable commodity, the pair of 1x12's would be a great way to go. small foot print, big sound, and with enough aggressive EQ'ing, you can punch thru any mix. that's my choice.

at first, if you're using your usual EQ settings, you'll find you wont quite cut thru as well, but if you start to use your ears and not your eyes or any preconceptions of your tone, you'll prolly find a good way to cut thru.
  5. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    If you look around, you can find a used Epifani 2x12 for around $550. They weigh about 75lbs, and will fill most rooms with outstanding bass sound. A little bigger than the 3x10, but for some reason they're cheaper used (tho more expensive new, I think. Weird)

Just a thought...