Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 3x10 vs SWR goliath 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Aug 23, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i know this sounds corny but here goes.........

sometimes i really miss my old SWR goliath 2, heavy thing that she was. I've been considering an epifani 310

has anyone had 1st hand experience comparing the epifani 3x10 to a goliath 1 or 2? if so could you comment on the differences in volume, tone, etc. (if you compared an eden 410T, (not XLT), to the epi 310 that would work too as the 410t was as close to a goliath as you could get)

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bump - oh come on someone has..............joker??............anyone??

3. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I used to own a Goliath II, and i don`t miss it at all. It wasn`t very loud, expensive, and did not cut through very well. Now I`m very happy with my EBS 410. This cab is VERY loud, sounds really good, with a sweet high mid/top that gives it caracter and cuts through even a lower volumes. And it`s also less expensive than the SWR.
    You should try it out!

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    When my Epifani 310 came in, I was able A/B it with an EBS 410. I had the option to take either home wth me. I found the 310 to be just as loud as the EBS, but deeper, with smoother low mids. The 310 was also smaller and with a more robust, yet even, tone. The EBS, which is a much brighter cabinet, sounded sterile and anemic in comparison. The T310 is quite a bit lighter to boot. IMO, between the Goliath III and the T310 there is no comparison. The GII would be even less so, if you ask me. I strongly preferred the tone of hte GIII to the GII although I was never able to get a direct A/B comparison. Now, keep in mind that these are only my opinions and that they may differ from those of others and are certainly not to be substituted for your own comparison with your own ears.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The GII would have more midrange emphasis (slightly brittle to my ears) with a lot of inescapable cut.

The Epi T310 would have good cut but a lot more booty. The best way to describe the Epifani tone is kind of like a really big ice cream shop chocolate milkshake, the kind that comes in a the big metal mixer cup... Rich, smooth, and deep. (You can say warm too but that would ruin my analogy) ;)

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh i like the epi 310, i just never got to compare it to my GII

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Gotcha. Sorry. ;)

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This afternoon we listened to an epifani 210UL,
    an swr 2x10 goliath jr, and an eden 210xlt.
    It wasn't even close.The epi SMOKED the other
    two cabs like it was no ones business. When we put
    the swr and the eden together, there was a bit
    more than the epi, but not much. We were amazed!
    We switched between an iamp 500, walter woods
    ultra, and a modified gk 800rb. I would imagine if the
    epifani 210UL was almost equal to a pair of 210 boxes,
    than an epi 310 would certainly take on the goliath 410.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah i remember 1st comparing my old eden 210xlt to a bergantino 2x10 and thinking the eden sounded like it had a blanket over it (sorry munji! please forgive me!!!)
    when i put my 210xlt up for consignment i compared it to the epifani 210 (the offset "heavy" one) and not only did the epi sound a lot more articulate, i think it had more "true" lows, (not the low-mid bump like eden has). when i compared the epi 2x12 (my favorite epi cab) to the eden 210xlt it made the eden sound like a toy - much more articulate, and thuderous tight lows
    unfortunately i never got a chance to a/b the goliath II 4x10 against the epi cabs though. i always thought my goliath was more articulate sounding than my eden 210xlt with a much clearer midrange, so i would have liked to have compared it to the epi