Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 3x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Aug 31, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Let's hear it. Any body play one of these? Comments?

[​IMG]

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey JR,

funny you should ask! ;)

i literally just got mine this past Wednesday while visiting Nick's shop.

had a chance to a/b it with some other cabs like a 2x10UL, 3x10 regular, and 4x10UL.

with my 3x10UL going head to head with the regular 3x10, my observations from my previous post mirror my experiences here.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85460&highlight=Epifani

cliff notes, the UL series just sounds a bit more upfront in the middle mids, while the regular series is a bit on the traditionally "sucked in mids" bass sound, and feels juuuuuuuust a touch deeper, but that's prolly due to my ears playing tricks on me, after hearing the UL's more midrangey sound.

needless to say, against the 2x10, the 3x10 had tons more bottom that you could feel. with the 2x10, you can boost the low end to make it similar to the 3x10, but it doesnt get nearly as loud.

against the 4x10, the 3x10 wasnt as loud. btw, that sucker can pack a WALLOP. and with a 1000 watt RMS rating, like my bud says, "that 4x10's got some cojones!" :D

strangely, the 3x10 had almost as much bottom end as the 4x10. just a minor tweak in the lows, and i could simulate the natural low end authority the 4x10 pounds with. course, i cant get nearly as loud as the 4x10 without farting out.

also, although the 4x10 can get stoopid loud, but the 3x10 is prolly plenty for anyone. just this week, while rehearsing with my funk rock band upstate, the 3x10 easily handled a bone crushing drummer, and my 50 watt 4x12 cab toting guitarist.

Low B wise, the 3x10 handles them very nicely. fills the room with sound, and punches thru with authority. after finally getting to use the 3x10, and not those crummy Hartke 4x10's at Smash Studios, my guitarist noted, "wow, i can actually hear it when you go low!"

btw, speaking of 3x10's, compared to my old Demeter 3x10, the Epifani is by far MUCH clearer and cleaner sounding. from my memory, the Demeter was much darker sounding and had GOBS more low end booty. its a great sound, but the Epi's clarity and sweetness really got me in how it lets the sound of your bass and technique shine thru better with that Epifani articulation. still, had i not heard the Epi, i woulda still been very happy with the darker Demeter.

course, the Epi spoiled everything for me. ;)

and, nevermind the super lightness of the ultralite, but its amazing how easily the 3x10 fits in the back seat or trunk of an NYC cab. IMHO, its prolly the "do-it-all-and-do-it-conveniently" speaker cabinet!

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I'm looking at the Epifani 3x10 regular. I don't play in a band, but I want a good "solo" cab that lets me hear my bass faithfully. But it has to sound good a low volumes also.

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I tried one out on a gig one night and was not that impressed to tell you the truth. I paid the $80 to ship it back. But see I was using a low wattage head a GK400RB and the speakers were woofing out on low notes with only 200w pushing through it but it also could of been the amp clipping or using all its juice too though. But the sound was really really nice though. Buttery bottom and velvety top end. Oh I am sure it would have been a different story if I would of had my SWR SM-900. I was using a Jazz 4 and a R bass 5.

5. I want one of those. But it's like 2 grand for one new.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

like i said, i've used my Acoustic Image Clarus 400a on a few gigs, and had little problem with a moderately loud to loud drummer.

i usually have the master maxed out, while using the level to set my volume, which is usually around 9:00 or 10:00 on the dial, and that's PLENTY of volume. i dont really goose my bass all that much, but its got enough booty for two basses! i could boost it higher, but i dont wanna scare off the first row. ;)

Kaz,

the Epi's arent cheap, but i dunno 'bout $2000! that seems a weeeee bit toooo high. :meh:

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA

The cab isn't four ohms so you weren't even pushing 200 watts into it. IMO, you were underpowering it for a gig situation. They need decent wattage to really thump.

That holds true for any cab, really.

I've had too many bad experiences w/ farting cones and toasted tweeters to skimp on wattage.

8. I've had the "old" Epi 3x10 for 3+ years and love it. Best sounding cab I've tried, handles B string well and tight for slap but never harsh.
    It needs power though to open up. My GK 400rb, 800rb and SWR 900 heads, now gone BTW, never really did the cab justice. Then---> Demeter pre+ Stewart 2.1 BOOM!!! Pure sonic beauty to my ears.

My dream 'monster rig' Epi 3x10 x2 (one channnel) and Epi 2x12 other channel.

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    How did it perform at low volumes? Will it work with this?

[​IMG]

10. I has a full yet clean sound. I can only compare it to my SWR Goliath III and an Aggie 4x10. I prefer the tone of the Epi. My personal experience, I don't want to slag other manufactures, is the SWR sounds harsh and "honks" at times and the Aggie 4x10 was too scooped in the mids for my liking. JMO. You have nice basses and the Epifani cab and FX1 with good power will really be sweet.
    BTW just got a Sadowsky Vintage 5 and it is pure auditory nirvana through my rig (no effects).

For small/medium gigs this cab is great.

To answer your Question....YES, that will sound sweet.

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    - Is the 3x10 smaller than the Goliath-III?
    - What does the Sad look like?
    - Which performs better at low volumes? Epi or SWR? For solo.
    - SWR honks at times? WHen you're pushing it hard?
    -

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I wouldn't compare the SWR to the Epifani. With that pre/poweramp rig and the 3x10 you will be set. I can't find a reason to pick the SWR in any catagory.

13. -the Epi 3x10 is smaller and lighter, easier to carry with out wheels. The SWR 4x10 95 lbs. is a bit large for carseat transport.
    -It's a Quilted sunburst with white pearloid pick guard (I'll post pics and start another thread) and birdseye maple board. Truly a Great bass and "The One" for me. It's all I expected and more.
    -Sounds great at any volume
    -No, the 'honk' I'm referring to is a mid frequency tone that, in my ears. is bothersome. It's not from overdriving the cab, just a tone from that cab.

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I recently got one of Nick's regular T310's. I'm VERY happy with it. I'm loving the tone and appreciate the size. The cab is very portable and doesn't seem as overwelming as my Aggie GS410.

I've only had the opportunity to hear it with the Demeter/PLX rig and the Fafner. In both cases it sounded great. I haven't had the chance to try it with the F1-X, yet. It should sound great.

I do like the T310 significantly better than the cab that I sold to purchase it.

15. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm currently playing through a 310 with a dem/stewart combo. Wow this tone is tons better than my eden rig was. One of the biggest things I like is how transparent it is. Whatever bass I plug into the dem sounds like that bass. I've used it in various gigs ranging from a 9 piece horn band to a jazz trio with my upright. Never had a single issue with being heard or not being clear.

16. What type of head do you guys recommend? I have a t310 and a Mesa m-pulse 600. I was wondering if the 600W @ 4ohm head was a good fit with the 5.3ohm 600W cab? I had some amp problems recently and my head is in the shop right now and I'm trying to figure out if this might've had something to do with it?

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

It should be fine. I treat my UL2-310 as a 4 ohm load and it has never caused any issues to any of my amps. I was told by Epifani to treat it as a 4-ohm cab. I run mine with a Carvin power amp these days, it's my practice rig, but my amp of choice for the last few years is a Markbass SD800.

18. Cool, thank you!

19. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I have a UL1-310, purchased from a TB'r in the Albany area. I got it to use with my Genz Benz Streamliner 600, but was having a hard time getting that pairing to sit well in the mix with my (way too loud) rock band. Did some TB research and noted the GB and the UL1 each being described as "bottom heavy" in various threads.....turns out that what I really needed to do was to figure out how to drive that Streamliner, and cut waaaay back on the bass. Sounds great now with the GB - except that in the meantime I'd picked up an Ampeg V4B which just loves that Epi cab. Been
    using that mostly, at least for now. My "backup" amp (not that I've ever really needed one of course) is an old GK Backline 600 which really came alive through the 310.

I should add that I also go to the PA, it's just the eternal struggle to get a sound that I like and also hear myself in the overall din.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016