Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 410UL Can it ROCK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzito, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been contemplating an Epi310UL, but have now been talking myself into the 410UL. There has never been a gig situation that my 410XLT wasn't more than enough for.

So, not having the pleasure to own one of these Epi's, what are your opinions/experiences with the versatility of these cabs. From what I have read, they are smooth and articulate. BUT...I play lots of styles and need a cab that can rock when necessary. I don't slap much these days, but need to go from smooth and melodic to pounding 16ths. I've always liked clean but warm sounds...and would hate to buy the Epi only to find it doesn't do down and dirty like when the boys have had a few and wanna throw down just for fun. This wouldn't be the cabs normal existence, but as I age, you never know...may be a punk band in my future.

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thats the road I went down and I went for the 410ul. As for rock/metal.... Yes. The epi is a tight cab but it takes eq very well. If you need it, use the bass nob. Most people say run a eq flat but the epi compared to my berg 322, needed a boost in the butt and it handles it very well. Its tighter in the low end but I wouldnt say deeper and (imho) nothing touches the 322 in the top end. I would say the epi 410ul is a very versatile cab and a good one at that. Btw, the 410ul is light enough to be carried with one hand if need be.

3. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    The boost in the butt worries me a tad, not because I'm afraid of eq, but I'm looking for a cab that stays fat on the D and G strings too...boosting lows to achieve this sometimes makes the lowest lows overpowering (on my 410XLT for example). I want a balanced but aggressive sound. From what I've read about the Epi, it is very balanced. I'm sure the 322 is probably fatter...and weighs mucho more...otherwise, I'd probably own one already...ultralight 322 Jim?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    In a nutshell, the 310 UL eats the 410 XLT for lunch. Better lows, (not low mids like the XLT). You won't have to worry about your d and g strings, the epi is much more articulate, to the point where the eden sounds like there is a blanket on it. And i like the xlt! I'd probably go with the 310 UL if i ever get an Epi cab. I'm sure the 410 UL will be even more overkill. :p

5. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Unfortunately, I disagree. Slightly different animals, but when I played an epi 410 (NYC) in a rock setting, I always had trouble hearing the d and g strings. Supposedly the UL series has a more aggressive sound, and the NYC 310 and 410 sound pretty different themselves.

6. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Ivanmike- did you gig the 310UL and the 410XLT or was this an in store comparison? I've never had the two side by side.

farboozle, was this thin D and G thing because the NYC410 is scooped? How long did you own the cab? Any tricks to remedy the situation?

My post last night was made after returning from band practice through my 410XLT. The thinner D and G string thing exists on the XLT, but they aren't necessarily wimpy. Its liveable IMO. And I agree with the statement about the XLT sounding like it has a blanket over it...but its a pretty blanket, rich and dark in color, articulate without being brittle...good for fingerstyle.

What I'm looking for is people who have owned the Epi 310 and 410 and their impressions of their strong points and weak points, and the things they did to overcome the weak points. We all love our new cabs at first, but then we start to notice "this" or "that" about the cab.

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    If its just the D and G string your having problems with it might be in you bass or strings. Ive giged the epi nyc410, 410ul and 322. with all three cabs with a aguilar pre and modulus bass the D and G cut through so much it bleeds. I have to tame them. With the same gear and settings but an Fbass the E and A stick out.

Strings make a big difference as well. With the same gear the modulus with prizim strings the lows pound great but when I use the other modulus with DM j2000 strings the B string is piano like and I have to boost the lows.

Both epi and berg take eq real well so if you need to boost the lows a bit try boosting arround 60 for the epi ul and to get the D and G up boost arround 600-700. In my case I have to cut 625 to tame the D and G. If you have one or can barrow one try a 31 band eq just to see where things are at. Boost and cut full on/off. I dont use one for shows but have used it to see what peaks and valleys basses, cabs and pre's have in comparrison to each other.

Btw, I play 5 string and all basses mentioned are 5s.

8. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    My main gigging rig for the past year ....

[​IMG]

I play in a ( sometimes very ) loud 4 pc Rock band.

This combination has always...I repeat Always , had all the power , depth and grind that I could ask for.

The Epi 4-10ul is capable of playing very loud and deep and articulate.
    The sound is not scooped at all...in fact it possesses a mid prescence that keeps me in the mix with very little or no tone adjustments needed.( some rooms need some help )
    I'm sure the Aguilar DB750 has some to do with this....but this cab has been everything I could ask for , for the past year.

I highly recommend
    PJR

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I like it :bassist:

10. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    PJR...I bet your amp rack weighs the same as your cab :) I had a 750 for a while...yep, the mid presence you experience has a lot to do with the 750...I bet that's a happy combo you have there!

As for D and G strings, you are correct, depends on the bass. My Q5 has D and G strings that need taming on occasion too. My 4 string Alembic is fairly balanced, so it points out the cab differences quickly. I recently A/B/C'd in this order an Eden 210XST/210XLT/Berg210 (new version). The D and G thinned out on the XLT and worse on the Berg. The XST stayed fat all the way up the neck, no matter what string. This phenomenon can be frustrating when you have worked out a nice run up to the upper regester for a certain song, only to find that with a band the notes get lost. You fellow obsessors know what I'm talking about.

11. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Unfortunately .....Yes :eyebrow:

Fortunately......Yes :hyper:

PJR

12. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I doubt it was scooped. I tried whatever tricks I knew, it didn't happen for me.

To me, it was definitely partly the cab, not bass or strings. I played Spector and Modulus with DR strings, bright basses that should have been d and g string monsters, not mice. And they were through other cabs. While my drummer could never hear me through 2 gs112's, at least I could hear the whole range evenly.

I think I owned the cab for about a year or so.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, first off, I think that the T-410UL would kick some major bootage! But, what you are describing is the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. It stays phat and full anywhere you play on the neck. Really, quite an incredible feat! And if you are concerned about the weight of the HT322, if you get a neo equipped Whappo, Jr., you will be amazed at how light it is relative to its size! Very easy to move around.

Oh, and did I mention that the D and G strings are fat, fat, phat! :D

14. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Tom, I don't see the NEO Whappo Jr. on their web site. How much does it weigh/cost?

My interest in the Epi310/410 stems from the personal conclusion that I like a conglomeration of 10's better than multiple 12's.

BTW, I tried the BergieHT112 with the Eden110T. Tried it at practice with the loudest band I play in. It tried its best, but just didn't have enough volume when things got rowdy. Standing right next to it was fine, but standing further away it got lost. BUT, it was a ripping slap rig...far better slap combo than the two Berg 12's together. But slapping isn't my thing these days. This little experiment concluded me that a larger cab with multiple drivers rather than multiple cabs with single drivers is where I need to go...I A/B'd the Miscellaneous Mini stack against the 410XLT...the XLT was so aggressive at the same amp settings the woman of the house came and lost her $h%t on me for "shaking the entire earth." A much more natural, large sound comes from a bigger box. Granted the XLT is floppy, but it certainly is not shy.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that Mark said that with the neo drivers, it weighs about 10 lbs less than the ferrous-driver model, which would make it about 71-72 lbs. I suppose that's about right, but to be honest, it feels even lighter. As big as it is, you expect it to weigh more. The proportions of the Whappo, Jr. make it very comfortable to pick up and hold, which probably also makes it seem lighter.

I am not sure what these are selling for right now.

Tom.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that my friend is a slaptastic looking rig. :cool:

but IMHO, the midrange kick might be from the Epifani. noticed it too when i had my much beloved yet misguidedly sold 3x10UL.

17. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Ordered the 310UL today. I'm giving it a shot without having played through it...quite an expensive experiment I must say. I do find it odd that we bass players have no problem giving up serious cash on a bass or an amp, but get all weird when a cab costs over a grand. Boy are we a messed up bunch!

The cab should arrive in time for a gig 11/5 at a place I've played dozens of times, so I should be able to access its worthiness. I'll give it a go at practice before hand to get the drummer's approval...and we'll have it side by side with the 410XLT to see if IvanMike is right..."wait, please don't EAT the Eden, I need it for practice."

Thanks joker for the comment about the midrange presence...that is where a lot of music resides. And I agree, PJR's rig is very bootyful.