Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 502 and Combo BP Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KJung, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Nice detailed review of the Epifani 502 amp and 210 combo in this month's Bass Player for anyone considering this amp. This truly is amazing gear, and continues to get some of the best reviews I've ever read.

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1... I'm very happy with the 502. Cost more than I'd thought I'd ever spend on an amp, but I'm very pleased with its performance.

3. I also like my 502 amp very much. But sometimes playing a high volume I think it gets to midrange and don't sounds near as good when playing at lower volume. It can be hardsounding and lacking of the bottom. My Fafner sounded better when turning up at higher volume. It doesn't sound like that is has 600 watt :meh:

Okay! It's still a fine amp - very fresh sounding if you can say that!

4. Interesting. I love the cabs but have never heard the head. I would think it's a very different sounding thing versus the Fafner, which has all that wonderful tube grind to it. Thanks for the info.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It should be awesome at those prices!

I was really interested in the combo version when it was first announced but as BP mentioned in the review, the low input impedance is a killer for me as I would have to drag along an outboard pre for my upright.

Interesting to note that the amp is built in Italy rather than the more typical choice to build amps in China or Korea.

6. I wonder if that was a missprint. The B&C speakers used in the Epifani UL cabs are Italian, but I would be surprised if the amps were made there. I have a feeling that's what they were talking about, but I don't really know.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    From what Epifani told me, they're built in Italy.

8. Made in Europe is what it says on the back of the amp.

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Italy is in Europe I think.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    When did this happen?

11. Even the carrying bag is made in Europe.

12. Interesting. That is an unusual source compared to most of the stuff that's out there.

13. Some say the ducks went to Toronto...others say Canada.

14. Have they made a bag for the 502?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no, so in the mean time, i'm using... GASP! my EA bag. :p

16. Are you enjoying the 502 amp?

Christian

17. I was simply recommending the quality Italian bags made by builders like Ferragamo and LV, available at your local swap meet.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh, you have no idea... ;) :D

19. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My one complaint with the Epi stuff... Nick really should find another source for the 502 gigbag. I use one to carry around my UL502, but it doesn't have much padding, has barely enough storage space for cables + the footswitch, and the Epifani logo silkscreen looks like it'll fade away in a few months.... at least they should sew the logo into the fabric...:meh:

20. So Epifani does have a bag for the 502? Do I sound like a blond girl :help:

Are the Footswitch ready?

Please! answers :D