1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani 502 owners: What hard case/protection should I use for touring?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darrenbassnyc, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hello,

Well, I am officially addicted to my 502UL, and I want to start taking it on the road. What can I get to really protect this thing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Darren

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd suggest installing the rack ears (if you don't already have a pair, the shop will likely send them over for free) and mounting it in a shockmount rack.

Great amp, totally agree...

3. Since the 502 doesn't have tubes, a large shock mount case might not be necessary depending on what kind of 'touring'... i.e., small van with one guy loading and unloading that you trust vs. semi, locals, etc.

Since that head is nice and small, a 'medium duty' case might work fine, and still keep things small and light, but provide better protection than a typical non-shock rack case.

I'm very impressed with the weight versus protection of the light duty 'Cabbage Cases' that Dave Funk offers as an option for his Thunderfunk heads. You can see a picture on his website. They aren't cheap, but are light and very strong.

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I use Nick's padded brief case, it has a pocket for cables and the peddle board. Of course I'm traveling in my own car but if you're in need of a rack, get the ears from Epifani and try Discount Distributors, I used their racks for my Crown and Labgruppen, very solid and reasonably priced. They're advertised in BP magazine.
    The case that Ken was talking about from Thunderfunk looks good but is exspensive.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I'm not sure what the exact size of the 502 is, but I have a custom preamp thats essentially a 2 rackspace unit with no ears, and I found that it fits perfectly into this aluminum briefcase I bought for 20 bucks off ebay.

It has foam padding all around, and the exterior is super tough, plus it looks cool, like I'm transporting biohazardous waste, or classified microfilms.;)

The case I got is pretty much identical to this one, it has the pick 'n pluck foam so you can get a perfect custom fit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ALUMINUM-Laptop-Notebook-Computer-CASE-Briefcase-Foam_W0QQitemZ6856138320QQcategoryZ31521QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

same aluminum case for $24.95 at Lowes

You can get pretty much the same case at Lowes for $24.95. I put my digital 4-track in one and am thinking about picking up another for my Yamaha head. Just another source, maybe local, to check out or buy what looks like the same case that wolfbass1025 is talking about (IIRC it came with the pick'n'pluck foam).

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    yeah I think I paid 25 bucks for mine as well, except I bought mine online. I didn't realize Lowes had stuff like that.

Its definitely the safest, cheapest way I found to transport my pre.

8. Thanks for your help everybody!

I called Epifani, and they suggested putting it in a normal SKB rack, attached with rackmount ears they will be sending me... Looks like I am good to go!

Peace,

Darren

9. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

That link doesn't work for me. Do you have a Lowes item number or precise product description to search for? TIA...

10. craigb

Doesn't work for me either, now. Here's the Lowes info from the page:

Task ForceĀ®
    Classic Tool Case

Item #: 24981 Model: 60132
    $24.94

11. BIGREDSIX

Thanks for the info. It looks like the one Menard's carries - which has silver plastic sides and goes for $21.49. Is this one aluminum?

12. craigb

The one I have, which I picked up by going into Lowes, looks to be all aluminum externally.

13. BIGREDSIX

Sweet! Thanks again. There's a Lowes about 20 miles from here. I'll give it a try.:hyper: