Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 502: the quest has ended

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FR5, Oct 14, 2005.

1. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    This could be my last thread starter in the Amp Forum (not that I do this very often anyway), as I have decided to follow the advice given by a fellow TB-er:

Well, that is exactly what I have done, I went out and got myself one. Last night I put this little baby next to my Glockenklang Soul in the rehearsal studio and as you may have gathered by now I was not disappointed :)

There have been quite a few excellent descriptions on the features and the sound quality of the 502 on this forum, especially the one by jokerjkny, and to be honest I find it hard myself to add something new to this. But I will try to explain why I traded the Glockenklang Soul.

The Glock is an excellent piece of gear, I find it is slightly cleaner, directer, "drier" than the Epi 502. Great for fingerstyle playing. The Epi seems a bit "less polite" than the Glock (does this make any sense?), and at the same time more flexible in tone shaping. The 2 channels feature is also very nice.

Another point that led me to seriously consider the Epi is that, as mentioned in this forum before, the Glockenklang Soul is underpowered at times. At certain gigs I need to blast it at nearly full force and there is very little headroom. My sound suffers as a result. I could have considered the new Glockenklang Heart-Rock of course which has more power, but it is much larger and heavier than the Epi 502.

So now I am playing a full Epi rig, the 502 in combination with a 210UL and 112UL. The power and clarity is awesome, I am so very very happy!

Yes, I have seen the light, and it's BLUE!

Grtz, steven

2. Congrats.

It is a very nice amp. Small and handy and yet still powerful and sounds good.
    I use mine with two 1x12 Epifanis and that is a great rig! I have been thinking of adding a 2x10 like your rig. Do you put 2x10 on the ground and 1x12 on top?
    And if you don't have it you should the carrybag to 502. It's like a laptopcase.

-Christian

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The 502 will be the next amp I purchase. Once I get over how awesome my iAMP is. All I own are Epifani cabs, so I should probably do it pretty soon.

-Mike

4. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hello Christian, yes I usually put the 112 on top of the 210. Only once did I do it the other way around because the acoustics of the location were difficult and I needed the punchiness of the 10's closer to my ears without raising the volume too much.

Don't you have folks thinking that you are launching into a PowerPoint presentation when you power up the 502? The blue led on the front is very sharp and powerful.

Steven

5. I had the owner of a club put a strip of tape over that blue light while we were playing! He said it was that distracting!!!

Enjoy!!

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats! Yep, it's a great amp... I'm using it with an Epi NYC 210 and am very happy. Puts out a LOT of sound, and it's solid, clean, authoritative sound.

FYI, I recently sent mine in to Nick, who modified the DI so it's now compatible with phantom power, meaning that if the soundman accidentally turns on phantom power for your DI-connection, the 502's DI will tolerate it. Recommended mod.

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Has anyone tried the 902? I bet it kicks butt!

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Don't think it's actually for sale yet.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    MJ,

as much as my iAMP kicks my butt, the 502 w/ the Epi's will blow your mind. :p

and congrats on your purchase FR5. only glad i was able to help point you in the right direction. :cool:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Maybe it's time to put the iAMP up for sale. Even though I haven't touched my bass for six months, I'm still itching to buy some new gear.

-Mike

11. Hi Steven,

Do you like the Combo of 1x12 and 2x10 more than your old 4x10NYC.

-Christian

12. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hello Christian,

that is a tough one. When I tried both set-ups next to each other I was not directly convinced by the advantage of the 210/112 combination, other than the obvious advantage in transportability over the 410NYC. But after fiddling with the high filters I got the sound that I really fell for. The 410 is more punchy and "in your face", with the 210/112 I have a somewhat smoother and more flexible sound without losing too much of the clearness and punch. And taking along the 112 (or the 210) on it's own to smaller gigs is really an awesome experience. But I am not ruling out a 410UL in the future of course :)

Steven

13. Thanks Steven,

I actually had decide to get the 4x10UL but idea of of getting a 2x10 8 ohm and run that with a 1x12 got me thinking! And then later add another 2x10 so I would have the full 4x10 package but in two cabs. This idea would be more expensive but still you will have more options about cab combo and transportability.

-Christian

14. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hou,

why not a 1x15, 1x12 and a 2x10....that would leave you with a lot of options....hehe, tak for sidst!. :bassist: