Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 902 Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thepontif, Feb 16, 2005.

1. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    Hey guys. I just wanted to put out a report on Nick Epifani's 900 watt power amp. I played last night at the Jazz Standard. The band was Lenny White, Victor Bailey on elec, me on acoustic, Joe Locke, Randy Brecker, Tommy Smith and a lot of others paying tribute to the late great Mark Ledford who died a few months ago of a heart attack. I used my (Fodera) rack mount preamp, Nick's 902 prototype and a T410UL. That amp is KILLING. Tons of power. Very honest watts. The sound was very contained and according to everyone out front was really easy to hear. The acoustic still sounded acoustic, but it never got tubby or sloppy. There was never any shortage of low end either. It really delivered up great and it's freakin' light too. Not to mention that when I plugged my preamp in to it and turn all the volumes all the way up, I thought the amp wasn't working because it was so quiet. Even with my ear to the speaker, I had to crank the gain beyond clipping and boost a LOT of high end before I could detect any noise. So anyway, the 902 is a definite winner. Light, powerful, clean, quiet, and definitely worth the money. Just wanted to give you the low down after my sneak peek.

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Cool and thanks. Im looking forward to may when the 902ul head comes out.

3. Cool! Thanks for the review, Mike!

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX

Great to hear, thanks for the review. I believe this one has a fan, right (www.epifani.com is not responding right now)? If so... how loud was it, and was it always on or did it turn on only after a certain temperature had been reached?

5. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    I never noticed any noise from a fan. I wasn't listening for it and it was a club so unless it was obnoxious I wouldn't have noticed anyway. I have it sitting here in my dining room now. I'll turn it on for a while and see.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    great! what's for dinner and who's invited!!! :D ;)

7. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    chicken. The Ohm's and the Henry's are coming over.... I hope we can all resist the temptation to induce something.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Mike what's the deal with the Fodera rack pre's? Are they coming out anytime soon? I saw them at the NAMM show in 2004 but haven't heard anything since. I also talked to you there for a few minutes but you probably don't remember. ;)

9. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    I'd probably remember your face. Send me a picture or remind me or something! Anyway, the rack pre is out. I've been making some. They're made to order basically, so we don't necessarrily stock them. We have some faceplates made up. We'll probably post some pics on the Fodera web store soon. I'm going out with the Manhattan Transfer a whole bunch this year and I'm going to build a two channel pre for myself. Two four band EQ's with copious frequency switching. 2 separate DI's...geared toward doubling. I also just bought a BSX bass (electric upright). That's a bad bass! The Transfer uses electric upright and the BSX is the best one I've played. Really GREAT!

10. Mike,

Is there a list of options to choose from for the Fodera pre or is it pretty much wide open?

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Mike can you PM me some pricing and technical info or something? I'm on the Epifani site on the first page of the gallery, although I look a bit pudgy in the pic. ;)

12. Thanks for the review.

I have seen pics of you playing the Epifani 4x10T or the 4x10 UL. which cab do you prefer?

I have 502UL amp and I love it. It sounds great with my pair of 1x12UL's ;)

Would really like to try the Fodera preamp!

13. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    As far as options on the Fodera preamp, there aren't any except the wooden faceplate. The electronics are what they are. I'm not inclined to start modifying frequency cutoffs for people because I think a product like that needs to have an identity. If they all sound different, I can't achieve that. Maybe we'll do another version at some point. As for the specs, I haven't figure them all out yet. Suffice it to say that it falls into the ultra low noise, ultra low distortion catagory and has a frequency response of about 4 Hz to about 30kHz. The EQ is based on the model 2000 pedal, so a bass boost shelf around 250, a switchable mid band around 550 and 1.1k (might consider changing those numbers) and a high shelf around 4k. Then there's another low shelf and another high shelf centered out at the extremes. I haven't calculated the exact numbers yet but I'd guess like 80Hz and 8-10k. Then there's an input gain control with clip light and a push-pull mute, a dedicated DI gain control with push-pull ground lift and a master volume. The rear panel has a tuner out (on when you pull the mute), a DI XLR out (also muted when the mute is activated), a series FX loop, a TRS and an XLR main out and a power jack. Runs on a wall wort. It's DC coupled from the second component to the output. This means there's only on capacitor in series with the signal in the whole pre, so phase coherence is REALLY good. That equates to huge, clean, wide low end. It would perfectly happy with NO caps in the signal path, but you just can't predict what's going to be plugged into it. We're looking into a system that will monitor the input and switch in a cap only when needed. When you're using components as nice as these, you want to maximize the benefits and avoid hobbling it with failsafes. It really sounds great and it's REALLY quiet and warm and natural sounding. I'm not sure where you'll get to hear one outside of Fodera's shop, but we're going to try to get some to some central locations. Like the bases, they aren't cheap to build. I do them all by hand here at my house.
    As for speakers, I prefer the T410NYC, but I don't want to carry it around, so I use the T410UL which is NEARLY as good. It doesn't seem to handle power QUITE as well, but it's pretty darn good. There's a slightly odd characteristic in the midrange that's favorable sometimes and bothersome others. Nick has been bugging me for months to bring it in and have him change the tuning. He's got a better configuration now I guess. I just haven't had time to lug it in to Brooklyn. If he says it's better I'm sure it will be worth it.