1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani 902c vs. Glock HeartRock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSaxMan, Sep 17, 2008.

1. BassSaxMan

BassSaxMan

Jul 11, 2008
    Anyone played these two and can compare? I got a pretty strong recommendation for the HeartRock recently, curious what others think. Music style is jazz/funk/gospel.

2. I owned a Heartrock for quite some time, and own a 502, which I assume is at least relatively close to the tone of the 902.

First, the Heartrock is a thing of beauty quality-wise. It is a big, heavy beast though, and it has a unique voice... warm and fat down low, and very hi fi clean up top.

The tone of the HR and the 502 is actually somewhat similar... more 'smooth, creamy and full' versus 'tight, punchy'. I feel the 600 watts into 4ohms of the 502 pretty much keeps up with the 750 watts of the Heartrock in a much smaller, lighter package. I assume the two 900 watt amps in the 902:eek: would be frightening, assuming you were using two, big 4ohm cabs.

So, all good stuff. The HeartRock and 902 are quite expensive. My recommendation is to consider the new PS1000 that Epifani is getting ready to release. It's basically a
    half version of the 902 (one channel, one 1000 watt amp at 4ohms, SMPS so it's really lightweight), and it's right at $1,000. IMO, it will get you into that tonal area (pure, creamy, smooth) for a good price.

Two other amps I would consider that are in the 'clean and pure lead sled' category are the Markbass SD800 (same wattage as the Heartrock, a little more aggressive and upper mid voiced, and under 10 pounds... about $1,200), and the amazing Carvin B1500... massive lead sled specs, heavy and three space, but only around $700.

The Carvin is safe at 2ohms, the Glock at 2.67, and all others are 4ohm minimum, if that matters.

IMO.

3. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    My Glock is a 9mm. I've never tried running it at 2.67 ohms.

4. There was an upgrade to the HeartRock about 3 years ago for 2.67 safe operation, due to the fact that they came out with a 2.67 ohm 610 cab.

5. BassSaxMan

BassSaxMan

Jul 11, 2008
    I think he was making a joke.

6. Ha! I kept on thinking... I've never seen the 9mm. model:D I'm 'gun clueless'!

Hey, on another note, the Heartrock will grunt and grind a touch when you push the pre, as will the Carvin. The Epi and the SD800 stay clean, clean, clean at all levels.

7. I've done direct comparisons with the Glock Heart Rock and a UL502. Never really got to hear a UL902 but here's a link to my reviews and thoughts for more insight http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441071 . I ended up going with the Heart Rock. The notes seem to have a full, defined body to them. Really fast and responsive. It really is a warm sounding SS amp and yes, as Ken said it can growl nicely when driven hard. It's actually 1000watts at 2.6 ohms and built like a tank. Really isn't that hard to move once it's racked in a nice Gator Shallow rack case. For me it was a "no brainer" considering price and what this head can do. Really sounds great with the BERG AE cabs as well. :bassist: