Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

:::Epifani::Aguilar::410's:::

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Aug 17, 2005.

which of the following?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2005.
  1. Epifani T-410

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. Aguilar GS410

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I sold my 'limited' Mesa 410 in search of a more versatile and 'Hi-Fi' 410...

Which 410 do you think is most versatile for someone that plays Jazz, Blues, Rock, Latin, R&B, neo-Soul, Country and top 40's:

Epifani or Aguilar?

2. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I'm a bit biased with the arrival of my Epi 212, but in my short time with this thing I've had the clearest unrivaled sound. I'd call it hi-fi. It reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate factory:

Who can take a rainbow
    Wrap it in a sigh
    Soak it in the sun
    And make the strawberry lemon pie?

It seems any type of garbage playing I throw into this thing comes out sonically as gold. Think about what it does whenever you put something good in it! :p

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have an Epifani 410UL. Very loud, sweet sounding, and light enough to carry in one hand.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    The aggie 4x10 i played through sounded really good, but i don't think it would qualify as much more hi-fi than your mesa. Then again, i only played it in the store.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think if you want something that sounds more "Hi-Fi", then you should get the epifani cabs. I've played both and I thought that both cabs sounded great. I have to agree with what Fretless5verfan said, that the Aguilar won't be "much" more hi-fi than your mesa, however, I don't think that's the sound they are going for. Granted, I own two GS410's and I love them. I'm sorry I'm not much help here, but I just think both companies are great. I think they both make quality 4x10's that appeal to a different audience.

6. No comparison.... for clean hi fi sound it's the Epi all the way vs. that Ag... and the reduced weight is a huge added bonus.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Actually I'm looking at one of the T-410's, not the UL-410. Beefier in both ways.
    :p

8. I would highly recommend the UL model. I used the original NYC models for quite a number of years. I sold them all when the UL's came out... the UL's are much more articulate, much punchier, and the redesigned crossover is just amazing (although that redesigned crossover was also in the most recent NYC versions before they were discontinued).

Personal opinion here, but I found the NYC low end a little too extended and the treble somewhat harsher than the UL's. When you combine all of this and the HUGE weight savings, if you can swing the cash... go UL... especially if you are looking for a somewhat hi-fi vibe (which I define as a very high level of articulation in the upper mids... and tight, defined low end versus a 'huge' low end, and the ability to dial in as much 4-6K sizzle as you want on the upper end.... otheres may define hi-fi differently).

PS If you play slap style at all... the 410UL is the best cab I've ever played out of for articulating a clean, modern, full range slap sound that can cut through a busy, loud mix.

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ^It was a toss up and I thought to try a T-model (used) first to see if that is the 'initial' vibe that I was going for.

I did the same thing with the ever trendy GS112 craze... Tried one out used, then what it would sound like in a pair, then replaced both with new ones and rotated the used ones out to TB'ers.

....the only thing here is that there is noticeable difference tonally between the models (I bet there are a plethora of threads about just that).

I'm going to see if there is a UL410 to try in the meanwhile. Epifani sounds to be the one between the two.

10. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I have the GS410 & its an awesome cab. Sounds pretty high-fi to me.

But FWIW, I am saving for an epi 410UL. The aggie is a beast to move.

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Amen Brother.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You forgot "neither."

Schroeder: don't gig without one :cool:

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Havn't played the Epi, but I'll tell ya the GS410 is a fantastic cab. Balanced and punchy, with solid lows, and a clean but not sterile top end.

14. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I just have to agree that with my T-212 I have the tweeter off and all the highs are still there. But I love the low end on this thing.

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    just picked up a used NYC Epi 410!!! I love it!

...need casters now.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    congrats!