Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epifani,berg, and schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 8, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well guys heres an update on how my rig is coming together.

I talked to my mom the other day and gave her a big ol' speech on how it would be more ethical if I got a more compact/modular rig.

I showed her all the research I've done (info, reviews, money calculating ect.)

Told her whats what on a power amp, told her what they do, explained to her what a pre amp was and did.

I also told her that insted of lugging around a huge combo (my tnt 90 lb or so) That it would be better for me to just get a new rig.

She gave in I guess and said that all my research has payed off so she told me that once I start gigging, practing more with the band ect, that I will be able to upgrade from my tnt :D

So thats the good news, the semi bad news I guess has to deal with gas.

First part, I know avatar is well known around here, but after loads of research I found that for more $$ I can get better quality,sound ect. Not trying to pee all over avatar or make em look bad, but for my tastes they wont cut it.

At first I was big on avatar and the cheaper GK series cabs, but I have moved to more bigger better things I guess you would put it.

I'm looking into more boutique style cabs.

Only problem is since the cabs arn't 300$ I'm going to have to cut some money out of my budget for my amp. First I was going to get a qsc 1850 and sansamp rbi, for close to 700$, after some more research I found out that the plx series is a little bit better amp, got a quote for a 2402 and was going to get that and a sansamp rbi, but decided not to, and that my money would better myself for a cab. So I will still be getting the 1850 and sansamp.

Thats where the epifani,bergantino, and schroeder cabs come in.

I know all 3 of em have big cabs and little ones. So let me list the ones off that I'm most interested in.

*Epifani*
    UL 410
    UL 212 Did a search on these and found loads of info that either one would suit my stlye and that they would cut through like no bodies buisness. My style btw is rock with some jazz thrown in.

*Bergantino*
    HT322
    HT212
    I havn't done as much research on the bergantino cabs as I have everything else, but the ht212 looks really promising, I also know that the nv610 and nv215 are well known around tb, but they are to big and bulky for me.

*Schroeder*
    Apples and oranges here
    I like the 212 and 210 for their portability, but I think the 21012 or the 410 would better suit me. Also everything I have read about Jorg's cabs has been great so it will be hard on deciding which to get.

That about does it, kind of long but if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. Also I wont be able to try out ANY of the cabs which sucks but hopefully I like what ever I decide to purchase and don't send it back.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!!!!

-Rob

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    FRom the Schroeder camp:
    I have a 410, and a 1210.
    The 410 I use only for whompin' high volume gigs. The 1210 will cover all the ground you need to cover in most cases. I bought the 410 when I found my Double Bass getting drowned out on stage in bigger higher volume venues.

Knowing what I know now...I would go modular with the Schroeders...in other words one 1212, and one 1210 or some such mix. Smaller, lighter and easier to pack and carry goes a long way with me;)

Talk to Jorg, and tell him what you want. He's quite astute at picking the cab from his lineup that will best suit your needs. Get whichever 2 speaker cab he recommends, and if you find it's not enough (not likely), add another 2 speaker cab later.

Whilst working thru this equation, keep ohms in mind, as stacking two cabs later will be impactful that way...

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I don't know anything about what you play or what you need the rig to do, so I won't make any recommendations.

One comment: I believe Bergantino stopped making the HT212 a few years ago. The HT322 is an absolute beast of a cab - can't say enough how much I love that thing.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    If I do just get a 212 or 1210 I will only be getting one at a time. I'm trying my closest to keep my rig under 2000$ Thanks for the info though!

-Rob

5. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Ya I guess you're right, ohwell bergantino still has many other cabs I can choose from. Thanks for pointing that out.

-Rob

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    bump anyone else have stuff to add?

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i haven't played through any of the schroeder cabs, but out of what you mentioned it would be between the epifani 410ul and the bergantino 322...both of those cabs sound great! also the 410ul is ridiculously light...its really shocking how light that thing is the first few times you pick it up...

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I say go for the Epi 410. You will be amazed. Then again, the Epi 212 is just as awesome.

You have narrowed it down to some high quality choices, so it's not like any one cab is going to be WAY better than the others. Whatever one you buy, you won't have to worry about having to send it back.

-Mike

9. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'm just about sold on the schroeder 410. I just read up to the 6th page in the schroeder mega thread, and am even more excited about getting one.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Would an Epifani mega-thread have made you choose Epifani? Or a Bergantino mega-thread?

-Mike

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    If you're looking at Schroeder, also consider the 21012. Having the 12" speaker adds a slightly different tone to it (I'd like to call it deeper, but it'd be a bit inaccurate). Also, compare the frequency response on both the 410 and 21012.

I already have a 310212 and two 21012s on the way.

12. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

No, what I ment to say is that all of the testimonials and everything from fellow tbers have really lightended me up about the whole topic. Along with re reading prices. I know that what ever purchase I make, it wont be a bad one.

I guess you could say berg,epifani, and schroeder all have their +'s and -'s. I just decided to go with the schroeder, for now.

I'm also contimplating getting 2 drbass cabs. A BL 212 and a BL 210. So that way I could only use one of em for practices and use the other for shows that require it. But then again the schroeder can handle just about anything from what I have read.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

-Rob

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow! Times 'sho 'nuff have changed... My mom would've looked at me like this... :rollno: ... the second I mentioned anything about bass stuff... and squawsh the thought of asking her for any help with... um... money? :scowl:

I vote Bergies. I have the NV215... which you really should consider, 'cuz it, along with it's brother- the NV610- is easier to manuver than you might think... but I'm a lover of 15" bass speakers, so I guess I gotta admit a little bit of bias here. Some folks say that 15"s loose clarity from a distance, that they seem to just become a low-end "roar" if you will... no definition... whatever. I once stood in the back of a rather fair-sized club, maybe 200' - 250' from the stage, while listening to a fellow bass buddy sit-in using my rig (my bandmates played War Pigs for him). No DI into the house PA system here... and I could not only hear every note, but I could feel the low ones, too. My amp: a Marshall VBA400 :eek: ... so there you have it from way out here in the islands... :D

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    All of the cabs, as has been said, would suit ya just fine...

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut,

glad to see we'll have yet another member in the Schro camp! :cool:

I'm actually going to add a 410 now I believe instead of a 21012. As much as I like oomph and booty, I miss having a big set of 10's to really punch and thump like I like.

I'd love to try out a combo of Berg 6x10's and a 2x15 paired together with my Dem setup. However, it'd be kinda hard as no one around here sells Berg or Epifani stuff. So my Schro's are kickin' it for now!

15. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

That comforts me a great deal :hyper: :D

16. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    My brother from the land of my birth! Wassup with you, man? You just need to mosey down south on I-35 about... what? ... 90 miles, which ain't nuthin' when we're talkin' 'bout the Great State of Texas... just a short afternoon's drive... to Longhorn Town! Check out 'ol John's little store down there in north Austin... I bought my NV215... ear unheard... from him, and all we ever did was communicate over the phone and email. Never met him face-to-face, but he damn sure did right by me... :D Like I said... check him out. He has both of your dream cabs sittin' on his showroom floor just waitin' for your hard-earned cash (or Visa, Master, or Discover...)! :hyper:

http://www.bassemporium.com/index.php

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Whoa I COMPLETELY forgot about the incredible BE!! I didn't know they sold either of those brands. I figured they would, as that's just about the ONLY place in TX that sells ultra-high quality bass gear. I want to go check out their new location (as they're about to open a new one, which is a helluva lot easier to get to) sometime.
    And if I ever feel the need to try out either the Epi's or Berg's, I'm there! :D

18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Bergantino is unique. The overall sound quality, the design and seamless transition from lower to upper frequencies is simply elegant. The horns in the Bergs are top notch. Jim has his engineering DOWN.

The 322 is jaw dropping, if it wasen't for my bad back, that 95 lb weapon would be in my aresenal hands down numero uno.

Its not better than Epi or Shroeder, just different. the difference is what makes it a better choice for me. YMMV

19. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well thats the thing, I picked 3 companies that;
    1) Know what they are doing
    2) Are respected by numerous musicians
    3) All 3 of them are unique in their own way

Haveing them be unique is the hard part. I'm still leaning toward the schroeder 410, but at the same time the epifani 212 is kind of growing on me.

The reason I'm not to interested in the bergs is because I want a modular rig 95 lbs to me isn't modular. My amp which is a peavey tnt weighs 85 pounds. If I got an 322 that would be an extra 10 pounds to lug around. Even though it does come with casters I'd still have to lift it into my truck, lift it out of my truck, and carry it up stairs if the clubs/pubs had them. So thats why I'm ruling out the Bergs.

The epifani 212 is really great but lack of reviews for it makes me a little worried. I just like to research EVERYTHING I buy but if you go and look at schroeders they have tones of reviews and testimonials. I really like the fact that the UL 212 weighs 58 lbs. Thats one of the main reasons, but at the same time everybody who has played a schroeder 410, 212, 1210, or 21012, praise how god awful loud they are and that nothing can beat em.

Very hard decision.

Thanks for eveyrones help though!

-Rob

20. Just curious, you say you're getting a sansamp RBI, but in your
    signature you're GAS list includes a BBE BMax. Why not get
    the BMax for about the same money as the RBI?