Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epifani cabs for jazz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt essay, Jul 25, 2003.

1. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    Hey,

I have my ultimate pre/power setup with my mindprint en-voice pre and my mesa boogie m-180 poweramp. I am using an eden 115xlt and my style is jazz fusion. I do a-lot of tapping slapping fingerstyle and i want a jazz tone ie lincoln goines and matt garrison. So i thought epifani. which cabs (I want two cabs) will get the best tone. They seem really expensive but worth it. Or how about adding to my eden setup. I think the eden 10's get quite deep so maybe eden 2x10's. Your input would be great thanks.

:bassist:

(isnt that an awesome smiley face)

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, if you really wanna rock like these gents, nothing but a 3x10 will do. Lincoln was instrumental in its development. has that bottom end authority that a 2x10 will never have. but isnt as heavy as a 4x10.

one 3x10 would be a great standalone cab, and be a terrific addition to your 1x15.

but remember that a 3x10 be default is 5.3 ohms, which a power amp sees as 4 ohms. so, make sure you're running your power amp in stereo to keeps things playing nice.

but anything with 10" added to your 1x15 would liven and punch things up considerably. you'll literally gawk at the chest thumping tone you're getting.

before you go all Epifani, maybe you should just try adding an Eden 2x10.

oh and btw, another thing to keep in mind is that the tones of the Epi vs. the Eden are very different. Eden's are much more edgier and raucous rock sounding, while Epi's are clearer, airier, cleaner sounding, yet no less punchie or bold.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I've never seen Matt play in concert but every time I've seen Linclon play (3x) he's using 2 112's side by side and a woods. I LOVE his playing but it seems that the only time he comes up to Boston is with Mike Stern and they play the same set every time.:rolleyes:

AJ

4. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    Thanks for the fast reply you guys,

Jokerjkny i guess i forgot to mention that i would be replacing my eden w/epi and from what gear you have i can definately respect your opinion. And i sincerely doubt i will rock like these gents, i just wanna steal thier tone ;). I was looking at the 3x10 but that 5.3 ohms is kinda getting me cautious of it. I was thinking maybe just the 3x10 and maybe a 115 later because one man can only spend so much on gear :D .

Theres a 3x10 on bassgear.com i'm looking at.

BTW Andrew didnt you get a fodera sc a while back. If i remember right that was drop dead gorgeous.

-Matt ;)

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The 112 Epifani cab's are with out a doubt one of my favorites. With out a doubt don't over look them.

As for pricing, I really don't see the Epifani's being much more then an Eden or swr. The upside is that they are more musical and handle more power......for sure. Not to mention the most important their a cleaner sounding cab and not as pre-eq'd as others mentioned.

6. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    Bump this......

Anywho,

I was thinking about the 3x10 or maybe 2 1x12's. Which is better. How loud will 2 1x12's go w/ my pre/power setup.

-Matt

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    2 112's are huge!!!! Think 410 with huge bottom!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, the 1x12 pair would prolly move more air, but the 3x10 would definitely be punchier and chest pounding in the mix. if the onstage mix is as dense as a 9 piece band, you might feel a little burying and muddied by the keyboard next to you. *shrug*

and, the 1x12's would be easier to move piece by piece, but a 70 lbs. 3x10 is relatively nice to move compared to a 98 lbs. 4x10.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If I really knew how to play Jazz.....I'd be happy with any cab;)

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

LOL, I hear you brother

AJ

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Big cabinets (like 3x10's) are nice, especially when you need to compete with overly agressive drummers and Marshall full stacks. However, unless high volume is a factor, I would recommend that you check out an Epifani T-112/T-110 combo. This is what I have (my 1x10 is the ultra light model), and these two cabs together really produce some phenomenal tone, clarity and articulation. In fact, I A/B'd the T-112/T-110UL to the Epifani T-310 (and T-210UL), and the 1x12/1x10 combo was by far more balanced tonally, more articulate, and had deeper, tighter lows and more articulate mids and highs. Each cab on its own, I'd say I preferred the T-112, but once I threw that T-110UL on top, it really clicked. I think that this setup would be very good for jazz on electric bass. If you are playing upright, then I'd opt for a pair of VL-208's.

Tom.

12. For those who have tried both reg. and UL Epifanis
    are there are apparent tonal differences between the two(without thinking about the weight difference and price increase)?

Glenn

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    before i go and post #3,498 of my answer to this question, i'll just point you to this thread ;) :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85460&highlight=epifani