Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Cabs in Combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Feb 14, 2005.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Having had the recent good luck to pick up another Epifani cab (T-112, non-neo) from my pal Jared Morante, I'm curious about pairing it up with my T-212 and/or T-310. Obviously, I intend to use it alone for jazz gigs and small restaurant gigs but I'm intrigued by the possibilities of matching it up with the other two cabs. I have a variety of amps that can handle the loads.

Anybody run the T-112 with larger cabs lately?

2. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi:

I have older T112 and T212 Epi cabinets.
    Usually just the T112 is enough, but in a few
    larger clubs I "get" to use my T212.

My amp setup is an Alembic F2B preamp,
    and a QSC PLX 2402 amp, with a Sansamp
    BDDI to give a little crunch (and gain to the F2B)

I have used both cabinets together, and the
    results is massive sound. You have to adjust one of
    the tweeters down just a bit, and make allowance
    at your power amp to balance the T112 8 ohm cabinet
    versus the 4 ohm T212. Once that is done, I've
    gotten nothing but complements as to how the
    vertial 3 x 12 stack projects and at the bass response.
    In fact, I find the T112 seems as loud as the T212,
    but that is due to the T212 wanting more than 700 watts
    my PLX 2402 delivers for one channel.
    I've only used this rig out doors where the bass usually
    gets lost or is muddied by the whims of the PA operator

Quite a rig!

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very cool, Phil. Thanks! While I'm initially thinking of combining the T-112 with the T-310, I can see how what you're describing would be excellent. :cool:

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have posted before about the great combination of T-112's with T-110UL's, and two of each is the best Epifani sound I have heard.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, I'm well aware of those posts, Tom. Unfortunately, what I have on-hand to combine with the 112 are the larger cabs described above. Believe me, given another small Epi (or two), I'd be delighted to try out the 110/112 combination! :D

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Carl-
    I'm so glad the cab worked out for what you want! Kinda makes me wonder if i should have held onto it! :p

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nice review, Boogie! I really need to get on that "official" gear review thing...

BTW, I really find that the WWU pairs up phenomenally well with the T-112 (as you have observed). With most other amps, I prefer the T-112/T-110UL combo, but I must say that the Wally Ultra really makes two T-112's sing. I need to spend some time A/B'ing the two with my WWU.

Glad you are enjoying your T-112! Have you tried it with one of your Bergies on top? ;)

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Tom. What would you recommend to sit on top of the T-112? The HT112 or EX112? Maybe I'll try that this Saturday night! :D

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The HT112, for sure. When one has the Bergie tweeter on hand, you certainly bring it along for the ride! Actually, the two tweets (Berg and Epi) are two of my favorites, but they definitely work their magic in different ways. If you have the HT112, you can dial in either or both tweets to your desire. This is really a pretty nice sounding setup - originally suggested by Big String, to be honest!

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool. T-112 and HT112 driven by the WWU, it is! Can't wait to give it a spin. :cool:

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    By the way, did anyone catch the rear-ported Epifani T-112 and T-212 on ebay? I have heard rumors that these sound dramatically different than the more modern front-ported itereations.

Tom.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I played a medium-sized bar in Whittier this past weekend with:

Epifani T-112
    Bergantino HT112
    Walter Woods Ultra
    Zon Legacy Elite 6

Epi on the bottom sitting on a Gramma pad. Stage was raised wood.

The short report is: exceptional. This combination had more low-end authority than the HT112/EX112 combo but there's something more. A fuller overall sound, I think, with wider range. These cabs seem to really compliment each other. The Epi puts more bottom into the mix while the Berg takes care of the mids and upper end perfectly. This rig made me want to ignore the pain in my shoulder and the shenanigans of the drunks. It was that good!

I won't tumble into hyperbole and exageration but I haven't found a better sounding rig to date, especially in the small to medium-sized rooms where I work. I was especially pleased that, even though the low-end was strong, there was nary a trace of boominess and the sound was also punchy and authoritative. I may have to re-think my stable of cabs after this! ;)

Thank you for suggesting this, Tom. :cool:

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am glad that you liked this combination! I have also found it to be an exceptional pairing. But, I need to give props where props are due...

The credit for the initial suggestion of this rig goes to Big String! Good call, Dean!

15. Thanks Tom, but I'm the guy without a T112 :( I can't seem to find one either, and they don't make them any more...
    I don't want to pop for a UL 112 because they are different and from what I'm told have definate midrange bump thing, which to me may defeat the purpose of replacing the EX on the bottom...

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Funny you mention the combo of berg and epi. So far the best muti cab stack Ive heard was the berg 322 with a epi 410ul. They work very well with each other. :bassist:

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I'll be, they did discontinue the non-neo line!?! That is a little surpring...

And yes, for what you want, I'd keep my eyes open for a T-112...

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Now I just have to find out how the iamp800 likes these two cabs! Friday night, perhaps. ;)

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Gee thanks, Boogie :rollno: .....I guess now I'm going to have to search out a t112. I was hoping that you would find that this pairing would be a waste of time and money.

Just when I was thinking that I might not need any new cabs for awhile. GAS sucks!

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A QUICK UPDATE

Same rig again last night but this time with a passive bass, my sweet Fender Custom Shop 64 Relic Jazz. Different room but similar layout. Same results: tight, smooth and accurate. I was especially impressed with the top end for slapping last night. Man! Clean as a whistle! :cool: :cool: