Epifani cabs -- what amp to use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basso Gruvitas, Aug 23, 2000.

1. Hey bass players. I would love your input.

I'm looking at a new amp set-up. It'll start with an Epifani 2x10. I've heard nothing but GREAT stuff on this gear ("the new standard")! My question is for those who have Epifani cabs or have actually heard them. What is the ultimate head to match with the 2x10? I don't want to go with a separate pre-amp/power amp set up. I have two Zon 5-strings and I play jazz, Latin, RnB, fusion, lounge, and pop.

Please, don't talk to me about Peavey or Ampeg. That's like putting ketchup on Pheasant.
  2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey there John! I love my two Zon 5's as well. I also use an Epifani 2x12, with the Eden Pre- and an Aguilar DB728. If you can afford it, I would get the Aguilar DB 359 200 watt tube amp. Absolute perfect match for your Epi. 2x10. Even though it's only 200 watts, it will confidently fill a 4x10, so you won't run out of juice for your kind of gig. It's a little heavy, but the tone is very worth it. The best prices for Aguilar that I've come across are at http://www.giampietroguitars.com, and my good friend Andy at Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz just became an Aguilar Dealer. (831) 427-9524.
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I would have to agree that the Aguilar stuff sounds great. I would, however, push a bit more power than 200 watts. The Epifani will soak it all up and more. I run a Walter Woods head (450 watts in bridge mode) into an Epifani T112. That little 1x12 can use it all easily. Ir recently presented a Master Class at The Bass Collective that was sponsored, in part, by Epifani and used 2 T112's. What an amazing sound it was.

Mike Dimin
  4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I'm with Mike here, John. I absolutely love my new Epifani 310. Blows away my SWR Goliath. Nobody can believe a little 3 x 10 can throw out the earth-shaking lows this thing can. I have an Aguilar DB359, and it sounds great, but the 200 watts (even though it is tube power) doesn't quite cut some of the bigger gigs. Plus, it weighs a ton! I'm mostly using my Trace Elliot 600 watt amp. Once I add an Epifani 115 cab to the rig I'll be able to handle just about anything.

Another thing you might consider is going with a solid state power amp-tube preamp combo. Check out the Stewart amps with an Aguilar preamp. The Stewarts are amazingly powerful in very light-weight rackmountable packages. Big bucks though, I think. I first demoed the Epifani through this setup and it sounded great. Another safe power amp suggestion would be the Mackie 1400i, relatively inexpensive, lots of power and (I've heard) super reliable.
  5. This is getting tangential but...

I've heard Mackie amps, while great for PA, are not great for bass. Check out Crown, QSC, Stewart, and Crest. And if you looking at the Aguilar preamp, look into the Kern 777.

BTW, has anybody A-B'd Epiphani cabs with Euphonic Audio cabs? Opinions?