1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

epifani cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Apr 18, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, I been looking around for gear and im getting close to getting what I want. Im thinking about getting a 8ohm 4X10 and a 8ohm 2X12 first of I havent played them yet but how do you think it would sound? and why are the cabs so light I was looking at a behringer cab a 4X10 ands its 100 pounds and a 2X10 swr workingpro is 55 pounds the epifani 4X10 is only 2 pounds heavier why are these cabs so much ligher?

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Some companies are using Neodymium magnets in their drivers instead of conventional (Alnico or ceramic).
    Some also use a lighter variety of plywood for the cabinet itself.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Neo speakers also allow for a lighter frame since less is needed to keep the speaker from screwing up the cab.

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    my understanding is that Neodymium has about 10x the magnetic power of regular magnets. so they can be 10x smaller! so much lighter, also yes they do use a lighter weight

infact i just checked on the epifani website and here it is!

"In terms of TONE the difference is minimal except to say that there is definitely a more PRONOUNCED MIDRANGE to the UL cabinets. In terms of construction, our NEODYMIUM speaker magnets are 10X STRONGER than conventional ceramic magnets, so we can make them nearly 10X SMALLER and therefore significantly decrease the weight of our speaker cabinets.

Our UL series cabinetÂ’s extensive engineering has led to a state of the art design. We have incorporated a stronger yet lighter bracing system using Italian poplar wood, as well as the highest grade, professional formula resins providing extremely strong & airtight enclosures. Architecturally our cabinets are not only works of art, but structurally sound instruments as well.
    "

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Neo speakers are a wonderful thing. The current Epi cabs are called UL, for Ultra Light, due to the light magnet speakers that also allow for lighter speaker frames that then allow for lighter wood, etc. The Epif410UL is 57 pounds, and is really great. Other companies (GK, EBS, Accugroove, EA, Schroeder, etc.) are also now producing 'light' speaker lines.

There are some sound differences in most of these lines, with a little more emphasis on the upper mids, and a little less 'big bass' response. I find that a good thing for my sound, others like the fuller low end of more traditional speakers.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    410Ul in three words:

Loud
    Light
    Low

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... my favorite cab of all time!

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i played one for the first time ever last week, it was a second hand one at the bass centre. run it through a GK 1001RB-II and SR5.

i just couldn't believe what i was seeing and hearing. it really seemed like the PERFECT cab. unbelievable. unfortunately, i didn't have the money. and, being so rare in australia, i imagine it would have been sold in 24 hours.

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yes yes and yes!!!! :D

10. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    In my IMO as I've noticed from other threader's, the Epi 410UL is the "do it all" cab.
    I've only used 4 ohm 410 and 212 cabs, although I also owned in the 8 ohm is a Epi 210 and 115 together into 4 ohms and it was great sounding. The 410 and 212 (8 ohms) together into 4 ohms will be monsterous.

11. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Most definitely, Im a bit scared just from reading the thread.
    Killer rig!

12. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    new ul902 with 4ohm 410 on one side and a 4ohm 212 on the other? :D

13. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    That'd be the smart way to go IMO, that way you can take a 410 or a 212 for the smaller gigs and both of them for the larger venues.

14. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    im going to get an 8 ohm 410 and 8 ohm 212 so I can use a smaller cab for some gigs and larger for bigger gigs.

15. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Simular to my rig, except 4 ohm 410 and 2-112's into 4 ohms and can use them together for the larger venues when I get the 902UL. :hyper: