Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guinessdrinker, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Hi,
    I am upgrading from an old Peavey TNT 150 combo amp. I have already purchased an SWR 750 head and now I am shopping around for cabs. Has anyone had any experience with Epifani cabs they can share? I am looking at buying the 4x10 ultralight or maybe a 2x10 ultralight on top of a 1x15 ultralight.
    I have a stingray 4 and I play a variety of cover tunes from country to punk to R&B to classic rock, so I need something pretty versitile.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advise.

Lou

2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Wow, that's quite an upgrade!

I've got a 2x12 and a 112T. They're fantastic. Do you play 4 or 5-string?

The UL's are super pricey! If you can afford 'em I'm sure they'll do fantastic things for you. I'd love a 210UL in place of my 112T. You really can't go wrong with this stuff...

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN

4. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I have a 310 that i absolutely love. Handles my 5 very well so you should have no problems with your 4. Very open and honest cab. I love the sound i get from it. They do like a lot of power though so make sure you are feeding it enough.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have two T-112's and a T-110UL. You will be impressed with these cabs. I used to turn my tweeters down, or barely on with my Peavey, Eden and Mesa Boogie stuff, but the tweeters in the Epifani's are very sweet and musical sounding, and do not add any hiss. Very impressive, in my book.

The Ultra Lights are fantastic. I just wish that they had the 12" neo speakers available when I bought mine.

Later, Tom.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i love my 2x10 very much...

My ONLY complaint is that when i play my sr5 and i hit the low d on my b string, if i have the bass onboard cranked... it farts, now given this is turned 3/4 the way up feeding it 500 watts.lol

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey Jon, add a T-112 underneath your T-210 and enter the world of low end bliss! :bassist:

Tom.

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    If i ever get to the point where i am requiring that kind of volume, i will look into it.

9. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Guinessdrinker,

Keep an eye on the SWR's Aural Enhancer. I had a 750 that I ran with a SOB and Gol Jr. Within 1 year, I had blown 2 10" speakers in the Gol Jr. The Auraul Enhancer will, or could, cause speaker damage if not properely used correctly.

10. i noticed everyone talks about 1x12's 1x10's and 2x10s and 2x12's why doesn anyone talk about 4x10s and 4x12s? i owny a 4x10 and i love it lots of bass and highs its amazing

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If I owned an Epifani 4x10 or 4x12, you can bet your pants that I would be sure to talk about it. :D

Tom.

12. Great minds! ~ I'm thinking of changing my current stack (EA iAmp 600, VL-110 and VL-208) as I want a bit more push especially at the bottom end :bassist:. I'm thinking of the Epifani T-115UL with the T-210UL as I also want to maintain portability (and my back!) :D . Brett at Epifani says to look out for their new power amp, but gives no arrival date, so I guess I might continue with the iAmp 600. Any thoughts?
    G4

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    well since you love your crate 410, i better go and buy one then. :rolleyes: :meh:

each cabinet, especially on higher end models will have different tones and voices. two 112 cabs paired together will sound different than a 212 by the same manufacturer. while 410's and moreso 412's generally have monstrous tone, they are a pain to load unload night after night and also take up alot of space in the car and on stage. when you play different size venues, a 412 is certainly overkill and a 112 will barely cut the mustard as a stage monitor with pa support for others. different strokes for different folks. just because you like something, doesn't mean we have to... :spit:

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I played Epiphani cabs when I was putting my rig together. Couldn't afford it, but they were the best cabs I played through.

Maybe in a year or so.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You can't go wrong with the Epifani's, they are amazing cab's. They are Deep and clear!

Jon, I think more power would actually help the farting of the cab. I run around 900 watts into a 112 and it will make customers place their hands over their ears. Its one tuff cab and handle the B like a champ!

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about them, just pm me.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Just to say great amp choice. A real value when people are paying attention to the x version. The preamp section of the old Redhead design with huge watts. I was sounding pretty weird when I first used the head on a gig by dialing in what I thought was good. Hey try it flat Oh my! It really responds to changes in your touch and instrument Eq. Not directly an Epi answer but the way to tone satisfaction on any cabinet. What kind of bass do you use?

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The buzz is about 12s and such yet there are many of us quite satisfied with our one and two 4x10s. I have an AG GS1x12. I work out and use a rack 'n roller so big sound is there for me and I cart my own stuff. Even folks at Bass NW will tell you that one or two EA 1x12s cannot perform like one or two quality 4x10s in a loud and dynamic setting. Yet technology has allowed these 1x12 boxes to take care of most of the gigs many of us play. Saving our backs and our concert rigs for when we really need them.

18. Thanks everyone for the replies.
    I think I am going to go ahead and order a 4x10 UL. I think it would be more than enough for any gigs I will play in the near future and won't be too big/heavy to carry up the stairs to my apartment.
    Thanks again for the advise.

19. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Send Captain Scarlet a PM, I'll direct him to this thread, but he recently got a Epiphani 4x10 Ultralight.

20. I love my Epi 4x10UL. I run my recently acquired EBS HD350 through it and it sounds very articulate and smooth with strong but refined low end. It makes every one of my basses sound very different from each other, which is a big contrast from my old Hartke rig that made most of my basses sound the same, IMHO.

Strangely enough, my rig made my U-Retro equipped Marcus Miller Jazz Bass come alive, so I've been playing that bass exclusively for the last few days.

They're pricey, but worth it. I was lucky enough to get a good deal on them used. Check them out.