Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epifani clarus disappointment, help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bollefen, Mar 27, 2003.

1. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    so i save my pennies and head out to get an amp and cabinet. got a warwick 5 string and cheaped out on an swr workingman 10 i found for less than 100 bucks til i had $$ again.

go to the dealer and play a warwick and lakland through a clarus and epifani 1x10 and 1 x 12. both of them farting out. the dealer says i'm pushing them too hard ...not. loud by practice standards but not gig loud :-(

a hartke 2000 through an eden 2x10 was really great, marginally less fundamental on the low b could also be the "voice" of the cabinet, still strong though. :)

even the hartke 2x10 didn't fart out at similar volumes, etc in the same room a bit less fundamental than either the epi or the eden but if it didn't sound so brittle, i might have gotten it. ??

went home empty handed with CASH in my pocket

what gives?

:confused: :confused: :(

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Did you try the gear out with your own Bass? I took a couple of days trying out combinations at a Bass Only store, (without background music blaring) and was able to put a combination together that has been working well.
    Try again, but take your time. Make sure what you are trying out is going to work with the Gig situations you want to be in.
    The gear you want may not be the gear combination You LIKE.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you were using a clarus which doesnt have that much power at a 4 ohm load which is what i assume you were running. try those cabs with a higher powered head.

4. Sounds to me like you did the smart thing. It's your money and you should buy what sounds good to you.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

exactly. the clarus is impressive for its size but it doesn't have the power to move anything serious, especially when put into a 1x10 and a 1x12. now if you were to put that clarus onto a really efficient cab like an Eden 410XST or SWR Goliath Sr your results might have been quite different.

in my experience, you have to either have a really high powered head with a small cab, or a big cab with a lower powered head to get any kinds of volume. 200 watts into a 10 and a 12 will never be 'loud'....unless you play guitar, i suppose ;)

6. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I have a couple Edens 110 cab's w/ coaxial tweeters and I have the same problem w/the Clarus if the gig gets too loud. The combination sounds very good though for the lower volume situations and many of my gigs are at relatively low volumes. Interestingly, my old SWR wm's 300 doesn't "fart" these speakers out at as easily as the clarus at louder volumes, but I do prefer the tone w/ the Clarus at "normal" levels.

At higher (and high) volume I've been very satisfied using the Clarus w/ a Peavey 410 TX (which I sold) and with a Carvin 210 chained with a 115 bottom,which I presently use for louder situations. The Clarus sounds very good with my Carvin 210 by itself.

I also have to say that I use a Tech 21 Bass Driver as the preamp whenever I'm playing electric bass instead of the Clarus' preamp stage.