Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Has anyone bought, owned or played one of the new Epi combos?

I'd love to know just how good they are - and how heavy/light they are for the power they kick out - I'd love a 112 - any thoughts or knowledge would be much appreciated.

Loving your work

Urb

2. ...no one has tried them? OK - fair enough...

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    (BUMP)

I'm also interested to hear any comments on the Epifani combos.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm heading down to Brooklyn next week to stop into Fodera. I'll let you know about the new Epifani stuff as well. I'm going to bring my Glockenklang Soul amp to try next to the new UL502 as well.

5. I have the Epi 502 UL amp and 1x12UL cab like the combo and it sounds amazing. Light weight and powerful.

6. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Now this I am very interested in. I play Glock Soul through Epi 210UL and 112UL and I am very interested to hear your opinion on a head to head with the 502.

Looking forward to it!

Grtz, steven

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thank you. I look forward to reading your comments. If possible, could you try compare the 2x10 combo to the 1x12 version?

Regards,
    DB

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'll be sure to compare the two.

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I did a short a/b/c with the glock soul, epi 502ul and aguilar db750 all through a epi 410 ul cab. Keep in mind my ears and bias leans towards a rock tone.

The glock seemed a bit under power compared to the other two and thinner sounding. Its a much cleaner tone. Very crisp and fast (not sterile).
    The epi 502ul was a lot like their nyc cabs. Deep, tight, fast and clean. The EQ is great and usefull!! Its not like a edan where a little goes a long way but it still changes the sound a lot and it still keeps the tone. If that makes sence
    The db750, to my surprize, sounds 'similar' to the epi. It was a bigger tone with more meat to it but it was still tight and fast. The epi is a bit deeper and cleaner. The db750 was louder but the 502ul gave it a run.

Im looking for a new head and for me its a tough call between the 502 and db750. If the epi 902ul comes out soon I might go that way but for my use Im leaning towards the db750 over the 502ul. Subject to change of course. :)

10. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    You might consult your back in your decision between the Epi 16 lb vs the Ag 43lbs. I could see where the Ag was more rock and roll though

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    BUMP for emjazz - how was your visit to Fodera and Epifani?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm sooooooooooo GAS'ed for their UL902.

the 502 reminded me of an avalon U5 with EQ! hyperbole for sure, but devotion will do so. :p

13. Hi Jokerjkny,

Will you be needing 1000 watt as the 902 UL have?
    I have the 502 and it has lots of power. 600 watt is enough for me :smug:

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hey David. I couldn't remember which thread I wrote that in.

I didn't go this week but I'll be there next week for sure. I'm kinda bummed because I was also going to see Wayne Krantz at the 55 that night w/ Anthony Jackson and it looks as if they may not be playing next Thursday. I still look forward to chatting w/ the folks at Fodera about a bass. I'm also meeting w/ Mike Pope for a lesson as well as some preamp talk. Should be a great day. I'll be sure to let you'll know about the Epi gear.

Cheers.
    Andy.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no way, how'd you score a lesson with mike?!?! sweet...

hou,

you can never have enough wattage. but its not about volume for me, but a tighter, punchier sound. especially with me Acme cabs.

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    same here. I really like the 502 but I thought it could use a bit more power. Ive heard that the 902 comes out in may.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't mean any disrespect, but for the price that the UL902 will be I'd rather spring for the Walter Woods Ultra at 7.5 pounds and 1200 watts.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

different strokes for different folks.

Walt's stuff is pretty unreal, and no secret he makes good gear. but its like nick voiced the amp just for me! :bassist:

19. The Epifani homepage quotes the 902UL to be 750 watts @4ohms. Have they redesigned the poweramp section already?

Available in May? I has been announced on their page for october 2004 for a long time now :eek:

20. It's 900 watt or 1000 watt. It says so in the catolog i got with 502 UL amp.
    You can look under UL Series Amplifiers Specsheet at the Epifani website.