Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OBBM, Jul 18, 2005.

1. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    Don't post here much but I need some advice from you hardened Epi users. I've done a search and although this topic has been discussed I can't find a straight answer.

Some months ago I bought a UL310 - fantastic, love it - however it's a bit too overkill for some of the quaint English pubs we play in so, based on comments here, I recently got a T-112 NYC. Its great for the low end of my 5 but lacking a bit at the higher end. What should I get to go with it?

T-110 UL
    T-110 NYC, if I can find one
    T-112 UL
    Another T-112 NYC

Oh music is some R&R, pop and rock covers, Springsteen, Earle, Petty, a bit of country and a load of original stuff.

2. IMO... trade that 112 NYC for a 112UL... it's very small and lightweight and would be perfect for you smaller gigs, and it would give you a similar tone profile of the 310UL (that very nice upper mid clarity, etc.). The 110 (any 110 IMO) is not quite enough to do a gig with (unless you are playing upright at very low volumes).

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sorry to disagree with you, Ken, but I'd say hang onto that T-112 at all costs! :D The deepest lows are bigger, deeper, and tighter on the NYC model, though I agree that the upper mids are a tad more scooped in relation to the T-112UL.

Which is why I would pair it up with a T-110UL. I have played a lot of Epi cabs and different combinations thereof, and the T-112/T-110UL combo is my favorite (well, actually two of each is my favorite!):

[​IMG]

But, I must admit that my second favorite Epi rig is probably the T-310UL. Man, that thing sounds killer and weighs next to nothing. I really need to try a T-410UL,(although I had decided to rule out 4x10's).

4. Hello Tom. I agree with you in general... however, the person who posted this thread loves the 310UL sound and finds his 112NYC lacking in the upper mids and highs.... that screams for a NYC to UL swap!

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    But, he is looking to add a cab to his T-112, and that screams for a T-110UL! :D

6. That's a great pairing and would sound awesome! Now, though, I don't get why the original poster would think that a 112 plus an additional cab would be more appropriate than his 310 for smaller gigs. You wouldn't save much space if any, and it's kind of strange to me to want to carry an additional 20 or 30 pounds in total and an additional cab to a smaller gig!!!

So.... in the spirit of the original thread (if I'm reading it correctly!).... if you are looking to get a similar sound as your 310UL in a smaller footprint cab for a smaller venue.... I would still look at the 112UL.... lighter than the 310UL... smaller footprint... similar sound profile... plus at 8ohms vs. the 5.3 ohms, it will reduce the power output of you amp a little bit for those smaller venues.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    As usual, you make an excellent point. I would concur with this recommendation. The T-210UL might also seem like a logical choice, but if I recall, the T-112 (NYC) that I compared to the T-310 (NYC) had a more similar low end to the T-310 than did the T-210UL that I tried in the same setting.

I will say, though, that there are situations where I prefer to bring two smaller cabs as opposed to one larger cab. For instance, where your vehicle might more easily accommodate two smaller cabs, or where the load in involves an awkward trip. That said, though, the T-112 is far from being a small 1x12, and the T-310UL is really light and compact for a 3x10, so the gains are perhaps not so great, here.

Tom.

8. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005

Hi
    I use the UL 310 and I agree, its fantastic, especially paired with the Epi UL502 head........
    I'm thinking of buying another Epifani cab too, but a UL410 for the larger gigs.
    I know this doesn't address your Q, but I personally wouldn't go smaller than the 310UL...for me, it is the ideal small/medium gig stand alone cab.

BTW, I do miss those quaint English Pubs you mentioned since moving over here to Aus :crying: ;)

Cheers
    Oz

9. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    Such excellent words of wisdom. Thanks guys. Yes I like the 310 sound and yes, I need my amp to take up less physical space, and yes I want an additional cab to the 112NYC which is superb.

Floor space is generally a problem and I'm always under pressure to keep my rig compact while at the same time to have a great sound. The UL310 is fine at the bigger venues, in fact I used the 310 + 112 last Friday, awesome, but I get it in the neck if I turn up with it at the smaller places.

Yes I like the idea of the UL110, but what about a UL112? How would that compare?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I what you want is more or less more of the same that you are getting out of your T-112, then adding a T-112UL might work well. It will add in some additional upper midrange. But, to my ears, by adding the T-110UL you get a more well balanced tonal range, with noticably greater upper midrange clarity and articulation. If you don't want that, then I'd say two T-112's or adding a T-112UL would be fine, and give you a more blossoming low end.

Tom.

11. +1 on these comments.

My final comment on this is just to again clarify what you are trying to do... if you like the sound of the 310UL and are looking for something smaller (smaller footprint, lighter and with a little less projection for smaller rooms).... why would you want to ADD a cab to your 112NYC? Maybe I'm reading your original post too literally, but it sounds like you are looking for a cab that would give you a similar tone to the 310UL but that would have a smaller footprint. If that's so, I again would at least think about trading in the NYC112 for the 112UL... it would balance up better when combined with the 310UL (although watch that ohmage!) and would be light enough to easily carry with one hand to your smaller gigs.

I'm not being argumentative here :D .. I actually totally agree with Tom's points from a pure tone perspective... but it doesn't seem that adding another cab would solve your 'small gig' issue. :meh:

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, you are engaging in an excellent example of the benefits of the Socratic method! Have you ever considered law school? :p

13. Ha! I do love to kibbitz!

14. A Bergantino HT-112 would sound great on top.

15. I use this small rig at small clubs, pubs and actualy at bigger places.
    You don't need much floor place to have this rig. I play with 2 guitarplayer and a drummer and we play some small places. The rig sounds sweet and have enough highs for my taste. The cabs is also really light But maybe that's why they are called Ultra light :p

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sweet "little" rig!

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That is an excellent point, too. This combo (T-112/HT112) really does capture the positive aspects of both cabs and melds them into one. I was initially skeptical, and concerned that they would cancel out each other's mojo, but they really do work well together.

Tom.

18. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    Thanks again for your most useful comments. Alas I don't believe that Bergantino cabs are available in the UK, and shipping a box of air across the pond is a touch expensive.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was looking for a second cab to go with my NYC 112, and I settled on the UL110. It is such an amazing cab. I have every frequency well covered, and it leaves me lacking nothing.

-Mike

20. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Its interesting how an Epi 310UL, is one mans "big" gig box,
    and yet for someone else, its their "small" gig box. Different
    horses etc etc.
    I also love my 310UL. As a matter of fact, I think it sounds
    better at lower volume than my 112UL/110UL stack. In my
    experiences, I have to turn the 112/110 up louder before it
    sounds as punchy as the 310UL. I've also been surprised at