Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani, Eden or Aquilar 212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jun 5, 2004.

Epifani, Eden or Aquilar 212?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2004.
  1. Epifani

53.8%
  2. Eden

11.5%
  3. Aquilar

34.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Hey Guys after my Mesa goof up (see other thread) I am looking for a 212 4ohm cabinet to use with the Walkabout head when the combo isn't quite enough. I have never used Aquilar, Eden or Epifani but have read a lot on this site about all three. There aren't any dealers in my area (Central VA) so I am looking for advice and info. I like a very big round sound, clean. I play in a church, in a classic rock band, and may possibly be joining a CCM band as well. SO I need versatility. This board has proved an invaluable resource, as it is the reason I even have a boogie combo. Opinions?

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I never owned the Epi or Eden. I did own the Aguilar GS212. I sold it to finance a Berg 322. I also still own a pair of GS112's. I bought the 212 because of its some what small stature and light weight. I was that impresses with the 212. It still sounded goog, but not as good as the pair of GS112's. The pair of 112's were much deeper and put more booty. I thought that after I got the Berg 322 it would become my primary gigging cab. The funny thing is that I prefer my pair of GS112's over the Berg 322 for every day gigging situations!

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Niether of those are bad choices, it just comes down to what your preference is. I have very little experience on an Epi and none on Edens but I used to own an Aggie and they rock pretty hard, I'd probably say the same about the other two though. Just a matter of taste.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Epifani by a loooooooooong mile.

i've heard the 2x12 cabs on various occasions, and its impressed me at every step. tons of punch, that i dont usually associate with 12" cabs. can only imagine how killer the "ultralites" sound, too. not to mention they weigh next to nothing. :cool:

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Epifani is the best 2x12 i've ever heard - I never imagined (after playing the Aguilar GS112 :bag: ) that 12" speakers could sound so clear, tight, and bassy all at the same time.

Lovin the Epi.

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I voted epi. Ive played the aguilar and thought it was week. Havent heard a eden cab that I have liked but I havent played the eden 212.

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Ok I've been told by some of the guys selling Epifani that my Walkabout head won't push the Epifani 212 enough to get a quality sound out of them. He recommended a 2x10. I don't really like the sound of 2x10 so I called Mesa and spoke with one of their techs. He said that I should get a 4ohm Scout extension speaker (which is what I originally wanted) He said that they have been torturing these combos and heads running them at 2ohms and can't get one to blow up. He said since I won't be using the extension all the time (probably 25%) that he wouldn't hesitate to go this route. I spoke with my buddy who has a degree in sound engineering and he said that it wasn't a huge deal going from 4 - 2 ohms and he agreed with the Mesa tech. Does this sound reasonable to you guys? Thanks for all the info.

8. I didn't vote as I haven't tried Eden or Epifani 212's. I have the Aguilar GS212. I definetly don't find this cabinet to be weak, it kicks out some good low end. Awhile back a couple of yummy females straddled this cabinet and walked away kinda funny...they put on a good show for me too ! I have compared this cab to a pair of Aguilar GS112's, and I have to say I prefer the 212. The pair of 112's have more low end but sounded floppy and too boomy for my tastes. The 212 was tighter, with a nice punch to the chest. All of your choices are high quality brands, it really comes down to personal preferance.

9. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    finally got my epi 212ul a couple of weeks ago, and all i can say is, the cab is killer.

Thick punch, and extremely tight in the entire mid range. I had a feeling it might be a bit woofy, but i can safely say that it isnt. For my needs its perfection.

If fingerstyle is your bag, and you dig that old school thickness in the lower mids, then check it out. Pretty damn light too. Weighs the same as most 210's, though i wont deny that its bulk still makes it fairly awkward to carry.

gold

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>Weighs the same as most 210's, though i wont deny that its bulk still makes it fairly awkward to carry<<

I prefer Epifani's old side by side design for both 2x12 and 2x10.

11. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I voted Epi

I have two of the older side-by-side Epi 2x12's and they definitely deliver the goods. One is good, and two is all you ever need.....

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    cough cough avatar!!! cough cough

phew, that was fun