1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani eq frequencies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodger Bryan, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Epifani lists the type of eq (3-band shelving) for the UL amplifiers, but doesn't mention frequency points. Can anyone tell us what they are?
    Also, the mid-band eq's on most amps aren't shelving types- is that right? Thanks in advance for any clarification!
    R

2. Epi website and manuals are very error prone.

The mid control would not be shelving. On the lower channel of the UL amps, it is semi-parametric (180hz to 2K). The upper channel fixed control sounds like a wide Q around 400hz to me.

The treble control is shelving, and is switchable from 3K to 6K start point on the lower channel. I'm pretty sure it is 3K shelving on the upper channel.

The bass control is set very low to my ear... I would guess around 40hz shelving.

I don't think the exact frequencies are published.

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Are the weights correct on the new website, especially UL Series? There seem to be a number of discrepancies between what Epifani lists versus what a lot of retailers lists, even for the newer versions. I know it's exacerbated by early and later versions of the Series 2, but it's pretty confusing. :rollno:

4. Well, the weights on the website for the ULs are now heavier. I can't say if they are accurate or not, but they are closer to reality that the old 'pre weight gain' specs that are still posted on most retail websites.

5. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the replies. When the Piccolo makes an appearance, I am going to give it a try, as I am on the downsizing bandwagon.

The only thing that makes me think twice is the usefulness of the bass band frequency. With my Modulus, the ultra-lows don't really get boosted but the upper-mids may need to be tamed in some situations.

For thickening the tone, I like a little 80-110Hz "hump". When I used an Alembic SF-2 as a preamp, I ran one path with a direct signal and the other with a low-pass filter set at around 100Hz. I miss that.

6. The EQ voicing is what resulted in me giving up on the 502. It was a wonderfully loud amp with a HUGE low end that ended up being quite uncontrollable in difficult rooms. That low end also tended to overwhelm the upper mids and treble, which gives the Epi line of heads a 'dark, organic' type tone that some love. I could not get a full, even, tone out of the 502. It thundered down low, but IMO lacked a transparent, full, even response through the mids that I had trouble 'correcting' with the limited EQ.

The other thing about the Epi amp tone is that it always stays very smooth. It will literally suck the 'grind' out of your tone, if for example, you are playing a J Bass. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but they are not the amp for those who like to 'heard the windings on the E and B string' when you dig in. They are smooth, warm, fat, a bit 'pillowy', and VERY hi fi up top IMO and IME.