Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani for the classic british tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jul 1, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm really looking into epifani gear. They really make a terrific product. However I'm not sure if they'd fiy my style.

I mostly play classic british rock ala Cream, The Who, and Zep. Rush too although they are not brits :).

Can The Epifani 502/902 get me in the neigborhood of this sound or am I better off with Orange/Matamp/Hiwatt type of amps?

Thanks!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    up to you,

i love the hifi clear as a bell tone of Epi gear. i use 'em in my higher powered rock outfits, and works great for me. heck, if Darryl Jones can use Epi cabs for the Rolling Stones, Pino Palladino can use a few cabs for the Who, and Greg Rzab with The Black Crowes, why not?

http://www.epifani.com/artists.htm

but if you need a woolly, thick, aggressive rock 'n roll tone, you may have to fall back on the hiwatt, orange or even those amps from ol' jersey.

another option is Eden amplification. known for their more aggressive tones, yet with a modern edge. with a woolly, thick Eden Navigator preamp, with a 1200 watt QSC SS power amp, thru their very aggressive sounding XLT line of cabs, you'd have a terrific modern rock 'n roll setup.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    you just mentioned a bunch of guys that have VASTLY different tones.

4. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    I think any aggressive cabinetis gonna do just fine in the situation your in, aka Eden XLT, or a Shroeder given what was posted on this website. I would say that your sound is going to come more from the head that you use. The UL502/902 is a great head, but it is very clean, hi-fi, and articulate. If you pushed a Mesa Boogie 400+ through an eden 410XLT, you would have tons of volume and really nice, cut-through tone for what you are doing. But that is gonna be talkking some fairly big cash. Try ebay...

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    jmo, but epifani cabs would work great for your needs and tone, but first, I would get a bass that fits your needs, tone wise.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    about as different as Cream, the Who and Zep... ;)

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

TOUCHE!