Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani hands down

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tristianXzon, Oct 20, 2003.

1. tristianXzon

tristianXzon

Oct 16, 2003
    Ok, I've had some extra time on my hands so i tried what some of you sugested. i did an a/b test on the epifani 12, 210, 310,
    vs.
    accugroove
    bergantino

results
    accugroove sounds nice until you turn it up then it loses focus and clarity

Bergantino sounds smooth but when i began to play will others I got lost in the mix

the epifani's were tight loud and full,

In my opinion you cant beat them. I wanted to see why theres such a hype about the accu's and the bergs, So i went to the websits and looked for noted players, and theres was basically nothing in comparison to the epi's players. Lets face it if AJ is playing them they got to be the real deal. I cant wait till the new stuff comes out!!!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not that I have anything negative to say about Epifanis but IME an artist roster is a pretty useless barometer. If AJ plays them it only means that he probably likes them. I'm a big AJ fan but that doesn't mean that his cab choice would be the ultimate for me.

Glad you like them.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    In a Bassplayer featuring Daryl Jones a few months back, they had a Epifani ad saying Daryl used Epifani equipment......in the equipment list from the interview, there was no mention of Epifani. I think Epifani makes great cabs too, but like Brad said....I also don't give any credence to who is a endoree or not.
    Epifani has been around longer than Bergantino, and is located in N.Y. giving it more access to New York cats......just like I noticed a lot of Boston cats using Bergies;)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ya know, i heard about that too, and was a little confused, cause i know the 6x10 was built with alot of Darryl's input. and, the prototype Epi preamp was being used by Darryl on the last leg of the latest 'Stones tour, for again, his input. :confused:

but player lists aside, each company makes some righteous cabs. IMHO, its not just a matter of tone, but also of customer service.

when anything happens, nothing's worse than having to send your cab out for 2 loooong weeks. being able to just hop on a subway, and get your repairs done that day is much more than a godsend. that's the beauty of supporting your local small shops and building that professional relationship.

and after a few correspondences with both Mark at Accu, and Jim at Bergantino, they definitely seem like a giggin bassist's guardian angels. and yea, they make some killer cabs, too. ;)

but glad you liked the cab. just wait until Nick releases the new porta-style heads. voiced to match beautifully with his cabs. :bassist:

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I saw Darryl Jones in a medium sized jazz club a couple years ago. He was using 2 epi 2x12's. The amount of low end was obnoxious.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe that AJ uses meyer sound powered speakers now.

I'm sure that I'd be using Epifani if I were in New York. Since I'm nearer to Boston I chose the Berg's. Proximity to the manufacturer can have a big part of what you choose for sure.

I do have to say that I've used many Bergantino cabs in lots of different settings and I've not once had a problem cutting through a group. They actually excel at getting you heard. I do wish the 112 cabs were a little bigger though but they definately do what they were intended to do. I'd just like a bit more bottom end out of them.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    joker, releases the new porta-style heads???? He can't even release the preamp. It's all good in theory....

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

he's got the box, and playing the 500 ad 900 watt version thru my 3x10 UL, its pretty farkin' nice. but i too grilled him in jest as to when they'd make their debut.

crossin' fingers for winter NAMM! :p

9. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    got my Berg HT112 just the other week, and it seems to me that cutting through is exactly what this cab was made for. Want more lowend? turn up the bass knob, it can handle it.

I was using an Acme 410 700 watts, pumping my stewart 1200 watts throught it...then I got my Bergantino, put 240 watts through the 300 watt cab you could hear it better than the Acme!! of course, it was an Acme... Truly though, in this range of bass equipment, you can't really go wrong with anything...Epi, Berg, EA, ...even Aggie. Unless you're soloing without a band behind you, face it, bass just sounds like bass to the audience.

"ooohh...what about that little 240 hz dip in the mids...", yeah, whatever.

10. Does anyone know how long Bergantino cabinest havebeen around. It doesn't seem like very long, and they seem to be getting mre and more popular. I'm guessing that they'll be as popular as Epifanis within a few years.

11. Gimme 2 Epifani 310's and I'll never ever ask for more. :)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    This mindset works for some people.

OTOH for me, the main purpose of my stage rig is to give me the best sound... for me. Big difference. I couldn't care less how sophisticated an audience member's hearing is;)

Time on the market, advertising budget and price range can have a major effect on the number of endorsements. Specious at best IMO. If Accugroove costs more, has been around less time and has fewer endorsers... is that a bad thing?

BTW my main cabs have no big name endorsers...yet. And I love 'em:D

13. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    In NO WAY is this a slam on the other manufacturers, but.......
    Did you know that Bergantino DOES NOT offer "endorsements"? His list of "notable users" have all PAID for their cabinets, including Joe Osbourne.
    Jim Bergantino comes from the Jim Marshall scool, meaning...."why should kids and working musicians pay retail for their gear, just so a munufacturer can afford to GIVE gear to people that make lots of money?" Jim Bergantino's outlook is, "the best endorsement for my product is to have people BUY it, because they WANT to play it, not because it's free".
    I don't know the inside scoop on the other companies mentioned, and they all make high quality gear, but that's the Berg scoop.
    GEEK

14. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I meant within the high end range of cabs we're discussing...not Peavey or Crate. I agree that you should definetly have the rig that gives you the best sound, for you, but does it really get noticeably better at this point...or just different?

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    To the player or the audience?

In most situations I'm in, my stage rig is not required for room fill... that's what the PA is for so again, my rig is for me. I have noticed a difference in the sound of the different cabs, a noticeable one. I "could" gig with any of the cabs currently out there including Peavey and Crate (both are fine IMO) or any of the "high end" stuff. What I ended up with are Nahas cabs and I'd put them up against anything out there. And while they're not cheap they're affordable.

16. Epi'are great cabs too. I just happen to return the one I bought because of "taste."

I like what Geek said. Jim's cabs are right for me and the cabs I kept all cut the mix.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Firstly, I don't get PA support.

For awhile I owned both the Berg HT310 and HT212. I kept the 310 and sold the 212 because the 310 has more consistent punch from room to room (it also doesn't have as much bottom). But even in boomy rooms I could get the 212 to cut through by goosing mids and reducing bass.

IMO, the Bergantino NV610 has an even punchier tone than the HT series cabs. I used mine in a very boomy room last Saturday night, and it sat beautifully in the mix.

As is often said around here, it's nice to have so many choices, and what is best for one person might not be best for anyone else. I'm sure I'd also like Epi and Aggie and others, but Bergs give me everything I want: I have absolutely no speaker GAS.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Gibsongeek beat me to the punch. I love that Jim Bergantino doesn't give away free stuff. I want to know who is using his cabs because they really love them, not because it was free. I myself can't imagine playing anyone else's cabs now that I've tasted the Bergs. I know that more and more people, even higher profile people, will come to the same conclusion.

19. tristianXzon

tristianXzon

Oct 16, 2003
    I see what some of you mean when it comes to artists playing equiptment, but I dont know anyone that gives their stuff away... to be in an endorsement means you pay for your stuff nothing is for free---unless your sting, flea or a few others your gonna pay for what you play.--fact!
    I always listen to people when they say who cares whos playing that cab ---does it matter that joe blo is using it? Lets face it, it does because if it didnt care you wouldnt be checking out the artist page to begin with.

Most products are pretty good right now but I still feel Epi's are the best! Accus are ok as well

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md