1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani Horns

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paulraphael, May 14, 2006.

1. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    A couple of recent threads (the 'i hate #@%!#! horns' thread and the 'is there such thing as a flat cabinet' thread) got me wondering about this.

When i played CDs through my epifani T310 (the old, old model) it didn't sound flat(ish) until i turned the tweeter attenuator most of the way off. Like, 2 or 3 degrees from off. In the 'normal' position, the highs could peel the paint off the wall. I asked Nick Epifani about this, and he basically said, 'Dude, it's not for listening to CDs, it's for making your bass sound good.' Fair enough, but all those highs don't make MY bass sound good. Not to me anyhow. But I just play finger style, so maybe I'm not the customer they're thinking about most of the time. At any rate, I leave the tweeter turned down most of the way and it sounds great like that.

Anyone else have experience with this or comments? Do you play with the tweeter wide open, or do you roll it off? And for what style playing?

And i know it's probably been covered, but I haven't read a good description of the difference in sound between the UL series cabs and the old boat anchors like mine.

Thanks!
    P

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I play mostly fingerstyle funk, r&b, and jazz. I keep the horns on my T-112's turned off as well. If I do use them , I do not turn them much beyond the 9/10 o'clock position. Beyond that, as you said, they become quite strong.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I love a very bright, aggressive, Marcus Miller type sound and I NEVER have a tweeter turned up past about 9 o'clock (maybe 10 o'clock with some basses in some rooms). That 'flat' setting that most tweeters have labeled at noon is totally arbitrary to me. You have found out that dialing in just a little bit of the tweeter can make a cab sound very alive and wonderful.... dialing in too much can sound horrible!

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    +1 Ken, me too. It's not just Epi horns, I've found that with most cabs, I've done that with my old Eden 410's.
    To my understanding, horns are to give the bassist some versitility, if you don't like em', turn em' off.
    IMO, a flat, uncolored or even transparent spk cab is for studio or PA use only. For me, a bass spk cab needs something to bring it alive.

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    +1:)

6. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I think what I'm getting at is the question of what people consider the characteristic sound of the cab. When you talk about brand X as having fairly even response, with a bit of a low-bump--or whatever--are you talking about it with the tweeter in the manufacturer's 'normal' position, or with it rolled off to what sounds normal to you.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    if you want to hear your CD's thru a bass cab, try an Acme. i use a pair of B1's for outdoor BBQ's all the time, and they're awesome.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's not unusual for horn loaded tweeters to have sensitivity at least 6dB higher than the woofer, so with the attentuator wide open response will be anything but flat.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

In my case, always rolled off somewhat. Of course, it depends on the tweeter and crossover. With the Berg cabs, that crossover is so smooth and the tweeter so natural, that the 'normal' setting (noon) actually can sound pretty good (of course, the downside is, if you are looking for Marcus sizzle, it's not really there IMO). With the selenium tweeter in my Schroeder, anything more than 9 o'clock just sounds stupid, but it's just razor sharp at 9 o'clock and really is wonderful for muscling a slap tone through the ride cymbal). The Epi crossover and tweeter are kind of in the middle of those two. With the Acme's and the Accugrooves, the very small tweeters are very subtle... I ran my tweeter all the way open with the Acme, and never felt like it had enough sparkly to overcome all that huge low end. The Accugroove guys actually removed the attenuator from the circuit because of the rather 'soft' high end of those cabs (although I understand they are using more aggressive tweeters now). So, no hard and fast rule to it.

To your question though, I feel strongly it's best to ignore the 'flat', 'normal' or whatever label that usually is put on the tweeter attenuator control at 12 o'clock. I'm a 'tweeter lover', and that 'normal' setting is way too much in most cases (even for me!):D

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A pair of B2's makes an awesome party rig! Sounds like a (somewhat aggressive) high-end hi-fi with a substantial sub joining in.

Alex

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    which does help when you've got 40 people hollerin' "izzya birthday, izzya birthday..." :p

12. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    ha .. i've done that. with the epi. tweeter rolled off, it filled a whole courtyard with music and sounded way better then those shattered glass JBLs they have in all the clubs.

this isn't my goal, though ... i just used the cd player as a test, to see where the tonal balance was. i don't have any instruments that can tell me anything, so familiar music played through the thing can give me a general idea. very general, i should say. my stereo equipment isn't even designed to be neutral.

for what it's worth, i didn't hear the "scooped mid" sound people have been using to describe the epifanis lately. tweeter turned low, it sounded pretty balanced. maybe a bump in the the high mids/low trebble (but this is just a guess ... i haven't trained my ears like a recording engineer to hear these things reliably).

13. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    That's the Joker, always relating to food.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea, i'm not gettin' that one either...

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    :p

16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Maybe 9 o'clock for me as well on my UL112s'.
    And then only one of them when I use both cabs. Turn the other one (usually the bottom tweeter) off.