1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani NYC 212T cabs or Genz Benz NX2-212T cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt R, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Hi All,
    I have had 2 ea. Epifani NYC 212T cabs (with the side by side drivers) since 2000. These cabinets have served me extremely well for years but apartment living (stairs) have made me consider selling them and buying 2 ea. Genz Benz NX2-212T cabs.
    Any thoughts? Have any of you had experience with both cabs?
    BTW my primary head is a DEMETER 201 with the 800watt D power amp mod and a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 as my back up.
    Thank you, your input is greatly appreciated!
    Matt

2. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Someone with more experience will follow this up with a counterpoint, but my experience with neo cabs have been, in a word, light.
    Easy to move, no problem to handle, when I went from my old goliath to an avatar neo it was a revelation.
    However, I also felt that the tone was a bit light, too. My ears heard less volume, and less air being moved. Same setup, just different cab.

I really didn't mind though, cause 100 lbs to 60 is something you feel every time a stage doesn't have steps.

3. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Thank you for your input!

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Those t-212 Epifani cabinets are the stuff of legend, at least in my book. Gorgeous sounding, but definitely quite heavy. My advice is to keep them, but get one light cabinet.

Compare, live with it, decide. I am assuming the 212 Epifani's are 8 ohms, no?

5. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Hi Jim,
    Right you are, moderation is is always key. I will never be able to acquire another one of these Epifani NYC 212T cabs, not in this condition. BTW they are both 4ohm.
    Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.
    Matt

6. I would find one of those Genz cabs and listen to it with your rig. That will be the best way to determine if they are for you.

Per Neo loaded cabs sounding "light" that has nothing to do with the material of the magnet, and everything to do with the design and implementation of the speaker and the cab around it.

I have three cabs that are loaded with neo speakers, that will go lower, and will be fuller than any commercial cab.

7. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    You guys are the BEST! Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.
    Matt