Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani NYC vs Epifani UL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Apr 7, 2004.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm trying to narrow it down. I've read different things, but haven't heard the two side-by-side. Has anyone else?

I'm looking for a comparison of "like" cabinets, particularly the 4x10 NYC vs 4x10 UL. Other comparisons would work, too.

What I want is something very clear and transparent, but offers a good even response across all frequencies. I don't think I'll go wrong with either one, but is one better?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search for my name and Epifani. i'm sure lots of hits from moi, explaining the differences i heard. :cool:

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    NYC = Thick in the Low End
    Balanced & Smooth
    Punchy & Powerful
    Defined Across the Spectrum

UL = Fast & Responsive
    Defined, Aggressive in Midrange
    Lightweight
    Clear & Airy

The UL is definitely not just a lighter version of the NYC. They have a very different sound.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tah-dah!

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I actually just reading some of your previous posts.

I'm sold!:D

Actually, the dealer I'm working with will bring one in on the idea I'm buying it, but have the right to refuse if I don't like it. Once I get my Read Purity and Stewart 2.1, I'll be taking them to my Epi dealer to demo the 4x10. Either it'll be coming home with me that day or we'll have something else on order. I'm suspecting I won't be disappointed with the Epi 4x10 UL, though...;)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, prolly not... ;)

btw, try PM'ing Capt. Scarlet. he's got one, and knows it pretty well.

but IMHO, its awfully hard to get away from the bold sounds of the regular line. remember, it was with the original sound that nick pretty much made his name.

again, you really need to try 'em before you buy.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    For the past few days, i've been playing a Read Purity into a Crown K1 and Epifani T410 NYC.

Wow. You really can't go wrong with that rig!

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sorry for changing topics here, but howdya like the Crown K1? I play a Kern through a PLX-2402 presently, the K1 caught my eye since it has no fan, and I've heard good things about it's low-end. Any idea how they compare?

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I don't really know how they compare as I have no extensive QSC experience, but I can tell you that the Crown K1 is the absolute best sounding ss power amp i've ever played through. I like it much better than Stewart, and the no-fan sealed design is an added bonus.

I should add that this amp is not mine, it's owned my tb's own Nightbass. He tells me that this amp has a huge dampening factor (>1000 I think) whereas most ss poweramps we commonly use for bass have more like >100. This (in my primitive terms) enables the poweramp to exhibit greater control over the speaker - less fluff.

Like I said, it's great. Highly recommended. The K2 is the same deal, just more wattage. Not cheap though.

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I just got my 310UL and the shop had a 310NYC that I demoed thru.
    I thought (at least the 310's) sounded pretty close in sound. The UL as described by jokerjkny in his post didn't sound as different as he described when I compared to the NYC.
    According to Brett from Epifani, they should (and almost do IMO) sound pretty much the same as that was their goal. Not two different cabs, but just a lighter weight version of it.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just checked out the specs, and HOLY MOTHER, it only eats 12 watts? how's that possible?

from the website:

In addition, each amplifier is equipped with a “green” circuit that further reduces energy use during idle periods. Energy draw is so low—only 12 watts or less—the amplifier may be kept in a continual ready state at minimal cost.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/kgeneral.htm

we're talking during its idle state, right? tried looking at the white papers, but they might as well be blank. :meh:

12. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, that's just when it is in the idle state. Crown was on a roll with the K Series being so efficient that they decided to add yet another feature to the amp, one that puts the amp in sleep mode after no signal has been present for about 15 seconds. When it is sleeping, it draws 12 watts, so for permanent installs (such as theaters) you can simply leave the amps on all the time. When you hit it with a signal, the amp wakes up. The time delay can be modified, or the sleep mode can be disabled altogether (recommended when using it for bass.)

Y'all know that night lights are 7 watts, and the DB-659 tube pre is 14 watts, so that gives you an idea of the idle power consumption. I could literally leave my bass rig on all the time at home if I wanted to.

Nightbass