Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani or Bergantino?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sargebaker, Dec 21, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm upgrading my rig during the season. I'll be getting a Little Mark II head from CLub Bass and my cab options boil down to Begantino Ht112 or Epifani UL112. My initial desire was to go with the Epifani, however whoever I spoke with at Club Bass said they were overated and that the Bergantino blows it away. I'm sure these are both good cabs I would just like to know if there is one you suggest over the other?

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love my Bergie HT112. Great cab!

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    That sounds like a case of "salesman shinola". Both Epi and Bergie make great sounding cabs, in similar speaker arrays and sizes. There are some very distinct ideological differences between the two designers, but the final result is some very smooth sounding cabs. I have a very early example of a Epi T-112, and owned a recent T-112, and despite the differences in porting and dimensions they sounded identical. I also own an Epi T-210 and it is a very amazing cab. And having played through some Bergies and had a chance to do a little side by side, I can say that they both sound great, and you should try to actually compare them.

I have a local shop that let me use the same bass (mine) and head (mine) to demo about 6 different high end cabs and it was a very informative 2 hours. I'll go as far as to say you could read about cabs for months and not get that amount of information.

Do the homework. You won't be sorry.

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I have an Epi T112 and used by itself for many gigs with my WWU. Great low end, smooth mids and sweet highs. I've heard good things about the Berg, I'd recomment trying them both out with your bass and amp. It's the sure way to know which one you'd be happiest with. I've always AB'ed before buying.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks for the Speedy replies. I really would like to get the chance to try before buying but it seems impossible. Epifani are nearly impossible to find in Canada and I know of no Bergantino dealer in the area. I'd like to go down to Club Bass and try them out myself (my parents are going after xmas) but I can't get the time off work. The person I spoke with said something to the extent of Epifani's being made with Neodymium which essentially doesn't sound as good as ceramic. for all I know that could be Chinese to me...

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    And monkeys...........

7. +1.... I think this is the second time this month I've agreed with Mike :) :D :)

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Before spending the $ on a cab, I think you need to do more research. Neodymium is a magnet material. It is very lightweight and very powerful. They sound great, as long as the speaker manufacturer and cabinet designer know what they are doing, which BTW, is EXACTLY the same as ceramic magnets. The real deal is that a cab designer that knows his/her stuff will build a great cabinet.

Mike

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    We might actually have to partake of a beer together. Should we argue on which beer ? :p

10. :)

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    oops, cermamic magnets are not lightweight.

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I didn't mention this in my original post but lightweight is a must! I'm a tiny guy and sick of having to get my bandmates to carry my 65lb combo around. The wieght issue is what originally sent me in the direction of Epifani, their all star list of endorsers didn't hurt either.

13. The Epi112 is a great sounding and very, very light cab. If weight is key, you won't find a cab much lighter than this that can still handle a moderate size gig.

14. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Plus you can always add another 112UL or a 110UL if need be later on. I like my neo's better than the speakers used in the NYC and T models. No loss of tone, or volume.

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Going with separate pieces will certainly make your goal of light weight easier to achieve. Combos are great and EA has a few but I do like having a separate head to mix and match cabinets. What would an acceptable weight be for a cabinet?

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you're going for weight, it's the Epi. The UL series sounds great and they are crazy light. At the DC GTG, Fuzzbass was actually throwing a UL210 in the air and catching it.

EA makes great lightweight cabs too. The NL210 is very light, and folks have been raving about the tone.

Bergantinos sound incredible, and if you talk to Jim, he's really into his product and design. He knows his stuff. But like other great cabs, his aren't the lightest. The HT series has a relatively small footprint and great tone, but they won't be as light as the Epifanis.

Then there's the issue of price....................

17. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
  18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You're digging into a touchy subject, however you can't go wrong with any of the cabinets that have been mentioned here. Obviously, as seen here, everyone has their favorite. I've heard the LMK with a Bergantino HT112/EX112 and it was exceptional. I'm sure that you'd be happy with most any of the suggestions though. I will say that if you have the Markbass head already than you should really try it with the Markbass cabs. I've only heard good things about them. I tried the last series and it was wonderfull. Do yourseld a favor, be patient untill you can make the time to head to Club Bass. Bring your amp and your bass and try everything that they have there.

19. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    From my experience, Bergantino cabs are very balanced with a tasty midrange, plus they have a certain sweetness and almost tubelike smoothness to them...Epifani cabs tend to be more aggressive, deeper sounding and have a bit more bite to the sound IMO.

20. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    I just bought a Epifani T-112 today, and it sounds incredible. It's really warm and smooth sounding but the sound is also very refined and punchy. The cab is great, but i've also tried my brothers bergantino and that is an equally great cab; however, it has a much different sound. The bergantino is deffinatly cleaner and more mid-rangy. I also tried an EA 112 today and i was originally intrigued by the very small size and light weight. I wasn't crazy about the sound of the EA though...it sounded like the small cabinet that it is. The Epifani and bergantino have a much bigger sound. This is just my opinion though.