1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani Performance Cab Selection: 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay, here's the deal...

Looks like we're snagging an Epifani PS 1000 amp and two PS 4 x 10 cabs. The PS 1000 is rated At 500 / 500 into a 4 ohm load (per side) and and an estimated 325 / 325 into 8 ohm. The PS 1000 can be bridged into an 8 ohm load if necessary, but not 4 ohm.

I would think that two 4 ohm enclosures would make the more efficient use of available power (500 watts per channel / per enclosure) and, if desired for smaller gigs, we could get away with running one 4 X 10 off a single channel. Don't see any future need for bridged operation.

Am I even close?

Riis

2. Makes total sense to me, Riis. FWIW I can tell you that with my 410's (both Epi, incidentally) I wish I could've purchased 4 ohm versions, following the same logic you express above.

3. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Spoke to Epifani earlier today. They're coming out with a switchable 4 ohm / 8 ohm cabinet in a few weeks. Don't know the details but it is out of my price range.

Riis

4. The DIST cabs have been out for a while, and are custom orders. The Bass Player review was not too kind. Seems that the more drivers in the cab, the less impact the impedance switch has on output. Something in those dual voice coils and all the wiring seems to result in the single driver 12 and 15 cabs behaving like you would thing (with the 4ohm cab being a touch louder than the 8ohm setting), but not with the multiple driver cabs.

I'd probably stay away from those myself.

Your plan of two 4ohm 410's is a good one with that head, as that will give you maximum power from the head when using two cabs. Of course, it will limit you to using just one side of the amp when you want to use a single 410, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

5. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    hey riis... are you running this setup? i'm curious how you like the ps1000, and how it handles one cab at 4ohms.

6. Epi spec updates and documentation are so awful that you never really know what is going on. However, I believe the PS100 can run 4ohms per side minimum, which means it can only be bridged into a single 8ohm cab.

7. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    So let me get this straight before I purchase.

There is no way of running a single 410 cab @ 4ohms for 1000W usage? You mudt have 2 4 ohm cabs? Bummer!

8. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    Let me get this straight. You cannot run 1 4ohm cab to get 1000w usage?
    You got to have 2 or bridge it to an 8 ohm cab?

Bummer! :bawl:

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That's correct. FTR, a single PS 410 @ 500 watts is pretty durn loud...a pair (one per side) moves the pictures on the wall. Ask my brother.

Riis

10. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    How can you get 1000W using a single 4ohm cab that can handle 1000W?

Epifani UL2 Series 410

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You don't. The PS1000 is comprised of (2) 500 watt (4 ohm) amps which, when bridged, will accommodate an 8 ohm enclosure.

JOOC, why do you want to push 1000 watts into one enclosure?

Edit: BTW, this is Jan's rig:

EpifaniJan2-1.

Riis