1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani Piccolo 999 vs Epifani Piccolo 600 -- thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tampabass, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Any thoughts on the relative merits of each of these? Has anyone had experience with both of them?

I play upright and electric (fretless and fretted), and I'll be pairing the head with one UL-112 (8 ohms) for smaller/quieter gigs and and two of those cabs for occasional larger gigs.
    Yes, don't need all that power for a single 112, but the head room would be nice, particularly for the two-cab gigs, and would also be useful if I end up getting an Epi D.I.S.T. (switchable between 8 ohms and 4 ohms) for my second cab. I intend to leave one in the club where I play twice a week (nobody else will be playing it) and the other one at home.
    Power Output
    Class D
    575 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms, < 1% THD, 1kHz
    999 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms, < 1% THD, 1kHz
    Tone Controls
    Bass: Shelving + 22dB @ 40 Hz
    Mid: Shelving + 17dB @ 550 Hz
    Treble: Shelving + 22dB @ 3 kHz
    Mid Cut: -8 dB @ 800 Hz
    Vintage Tone: Proprietary circuit selectable switch engages
    tube emulation
    Weight
    4 1/2 pounds

Power Output

Class D
    385 Watts D RMS @ 8 Ohms, < 1% THD, 1kHz
    600 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms, < 1% THD, 1kHz
    Tone Control
    Bass: Shelving + 22dB @ 40 Hz
    Mid: Shelving + 17dB @ 550 Hz
    Treble: Shelving + 22dB @ 3 kHz
    Mid Cut: -8 dB @ 800 Hz
    Vintage Tone: Proprietary circuit selectable switch engages
    tube emulator
    Weight
    4 1/2 pounds

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  2. It seems as though interest in the Epifani co. in general has been waning for a few years. Not many folks buying and talking about it anyway. I was interested back when I went Glock in 96' and have played some heads but never been wowed. I honestly haven't heard the newer heads. I liked them but they were always hard to find with only one dealer in the area and his stock is nearly nonexistent.

Tampabass likes this.
  3. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Yeah, I agree, it seems as if interest has waned a bit. And their distribution is somewhat lacking -- hard to find sometimes.
    I still swear by my UL-112 cab, and I know others who swear by their cabs. I had a 4-ohm 4x10 Epi cab that was great, too. I think I first fell in love with the cabs when, in NYC, I saw Richard Bona (bass guitar) playing one at the Blue Note and Francois Moutin (upright) playing one at Smalls. I initially owned the earlier, heavier NYC versions but later switched to the UL line (and my back thanked me).
    I did an A/B today between a new Epi DIST 112 and a Berg 112, and the Epi blew the other guy away, IMO -- just much more presence and resonance and accurate low-end reproduction with the Epi, IMO. And the Berg sounded good, but was just far too polite or clean (or modern) or something, at least to me.
    I've run into quite a few devotees of Epi heads, too. The UL-502 worked well for me, but I'm wanting to move to the Piccolo line.
    For my needs -- one set-up that will work great for upright and bass guitar -- I'm not finding a lot of competition for Epifani.
    (And no, I'm not an official Epifani endorser. But I maybe I should be. :) Hey, Nick!)

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Resurrecting this...

I actually have played the 600 for a while and think it's amazing. It seems that they are putting most of their focus on the 999 or 333 since they cover most needs. They really put lots of thought in the D.I.S.T. cabs which enable you to go 4 or 8 ohm.

Very expensive though. And my solution was to just get another Piccolo head (555) to run one 4 ohm cab, and use my 600 for the other.

It really makes a great stage set up and I can scale it back if needed with just one head and cab.

I was deliberating that if I had it to do over, maybe I would have had two DIST 410s and a 999 and run them at 8ohm. But this is better for me since I have a need to run stereo (high octaver distorted stuff on top of the bass rig). For my purposes, the 550-600 watts per amp is perfect and any more would be overkill.