Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    When is that Bad-Boy coming out? Anyone had a chance to try it? Joker?!?!?!?:D

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

i wish i tried it, but i know Devilman did. but i'm starting to give up on Nick... :( funny, but its like a recurring topic, someone always asks wassup with the Epi pre every month or so.

then again, even if it did finally appear, i'm more than happy with my Demeter.

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Joker, what did you decide about the "distortion" from the Demeter when you run the input above 3? Did you find out what the problem was?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i think i figured it out.

i think it has to do with two things: first understanding the volume knob / trim, and second what active electronics are being used.

My J-Retro in particular can kick out some massive output, so, as per John East of J-Retro's suggestion, he said, usually the best bet is to keep the volume at about 8-9 on the dial to allow the J-Retro's EQ to kick things up without the distortion. he pointed out that alot of players who use his onboard pre with pbasses and SVT's can overdrive their amps much earlier than others.

but IMHO, the key with my Dem was understanding the volume and internal gain trim. i'm treating the volume knob on the front like a gain knob, while thinking of the internal trim like a master volume. the gain/volume knob is to help you suit whatever active or passive bass you're using. and yes, its best to use active input for active, and passive input for passive.

the Dem's run pretty hot on its way to the power amp, and unfortunately, there's no external master volume like on an Aguilar DB680, or Kern IP777, where you can tame the output from the preamp without overdriving your poweramp. nor are there any lights to tell you if you're clipping anywheres. there is the internal volume trim, but i like keeping it at half, cause for my rig anyways, i experience a slight loss of highs. anymore on the trim, and you'll barely be able to use the gain/volume above 1.

so, now, everything sounds pretty good. but as a precaution, i'm having it checked out by a tech here in town later this week, just in case. but i'm sure nothin's up.

after a while, its all about just knowing your gear intimately, but i sure wish it was just plug 'n play. :( design wise, the preamp is a bit of a bummer, and hopefully, James'll catch on with an external master and clip lights with the next VTBP revision.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The preamp ROCK's
    Yes, it is becoming a never ending story about when it will be ready.
    The Preamp ROCK's!

I've played it 4 or 5 times now and it is with out a doubt unlike any preamp on the market. When its released you will know it becuase it will be huge for recording guys and live guys!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    where, wha, when, who, how did you get your hands on one!?!?

(no need to explain the why... ;))

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    At Epifani in NY and at the NAMM shows.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i thought that one that was sitting in Nick's shop was farmed out to the factory, no? did it come back? hmm... little trip out to BK anyone?

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Actually there are 3 or 4 proto-types floating around.