Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I've seen the SS model on the Epifani website for a while now, and in the latest BP mag, they now show the tube model, which is now listed on the Epifani website. Anyone had a chance to play one?

Please post a review or some opinions. And if you can A/B it against an Alembic F1X, that'd be ideal!!

Thanks!!

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm sure this will be a post NAMM thing. You'll hear about it later this month. Are their pre's even for sale yet?

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Definitely looking forward to checking out that tube Epi pre!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good lord,

someone in Brooklyn drop by Nick's shop! i'm too lazy these days to take the train down that aways... ;)

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I talked to one of the owner's of Bass NW the other day and he said that it may be available after the NAMM show.

But he also mentioned that SWR posted ads for the Mo' bass months before it was available.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    a couple days ago I was at Main St. Music in Tokyo which is the importer of Epifani equipment here in Japan. The guys there said they hadn't heard anything about a preamp.

Hasn't Nick Epifani been working on those preamps for a while now?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    remember the pre'release hoopla of Aguilar's DB750? :rolleyes:

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations,

What's up Joker! I saved you the trip, I just got back from Nicks along with my visit to the infamous Fodera lair. What a day, I'll start off with with Epifani,

The pre-amps are NOT available YET. He had a solid state version there but it was apart, & his tube version was with Darell Jones & the 'Stones. So, I wasn't able to give you guys any details about that, but, I played thru an Alembic pre (with my Zon) connected to his "new" 4x10 & 2x15 cabs, both with horns & the "new" style magnets (neyde?????) that are super light & stronger than their older ferrous style brethern. MAN, his cabinets kicked ASS! Super clear & tight way down low without any colorization. Very nice stuff, if you're going to NAMM make sure you check 'em out. His pre's are "definetly" going to be ready soon, he is a 1 man gang, so things take a little longer but they're worth the wait.

I won't get into the Fodera story here but all I can say is that D. Beasley, Vinnie & Joey + the staff are nothing short of amazing people! We had a blast today & it will be cherished ...

So, either get to NAMM or wait it out, but Epifani's pre's are on their way!

later,
    Satan

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool Dev!

thx for the heads up. been dying to find the time to try one his new "neo-loaded" cabs. what do you mean when you say, "Stronger"? also, did you have a chance to a/b the old style vs. the new?

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joker,

I didn't A/B the older style but I will when I go back next time. The "new" style magnets are made from a non-ferrous (non- iron) material that is 10X lighter & has more magnetic strength. The stronger the magnet the quicker, clearer & tighter your speaker excursion (travel) will be. From the sounds of his new stuff it definetly works & a 2x15 cabinet weighed 70lbs. !!! The only trade-off I can see is that the "new" (I have to learn how to spell it) magnets are more $, so are the cabinets. You probably can get his original style speakers if you request them.

Nick loved my Zon & his assistant (Brendan ?) couldn't believe my B string (.168, tuned A) so we gave his cabs a workout! Nick is a great guy & not a bad bassist either. He showed me a "custom" cab he's
    building for Vanilla Fudges bassist with 3 15's !!!

I also met Joelc73 at Fodera & didn't know who he was till I got home & read the Fodera thread in the bass' sect of TB! A true gentleman with a gourgeous example of Vinnie & Joes craftsmanship.

later,
    Satan

11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Do you think a retro fit of the new speakers in existing cabs will be possible?? I've got two 112's and a 212 of the Epifani brand already. Hard to imagine them getting better, but if you say they're all that, I wouldn't be opposed to a swap. Think it's possible??

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm sure that a swap is feasible but I've found that the cost of bass speakers is out of sight. You may be better off selling your cabs and getting a new one.

I think that the main thing with the new speaks is the weight reduction.

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey,

I would have to go with Jerry's answer here because I didn't get a chance to A/B them & the main point of the new magnets is weight reduction with as good if not better speaker dynamics. Time will tell...

later,
    Satan

14. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'll keep that in mind. Little hard to imagine that 4 raw speakers would be more costly than 3 new cabinets, but I'm sure someone in the bay area will have them in stock and I'll do my own A/B comparison in due time.

Thanks!!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for some info on the pre's.

P.S., that 610 Epifani would float my boat ANY DAY, sitting on top of that 215??? Sorry, gotta go to the bathroom........

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds like neodymium magnets (really neodymium-iron-boron :p ), you can just use Nd for short though I think. (NIB would work if it weren't for the Sabbath song. . .)

I'm pretty excited about the new lighter speakers. I think it's going to change everything!

16. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I think the 6x10 weight reduction goes from 128lbs. to around 92lbs. :eek: The price goes from $1900 to $2236 (list) with the Nd's. Not to bad for 36 pounds off.

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I picked up (literally) one of the new 3x10 cabs with Nd magnets and it was light as a feather. I could lift it with one hand, and I'm a skinny guy.

18. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>>>>.Do you think a retro fit of the new speakers in existing cabs will be possible?? I've got two 112's and a 212 of the Epifani brand already. Hard to imagine them getting better, but if you say they're all that, I wouldn't be opposed to a swap. Think it's possible??<<<<

I would imagine that you could upgrade speakers.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... all this time, i thought Nick was only offering the neo speakers in 10" speaker sizes?

dam! could you imagine how easy it would be to schlep a sweet Epi 1x12 or 1x15 around the city?? :eek:

I love how Nick is always thinkin' of us cityfolk... ;)

dangnabbit! all this talk has gotten me itchy to give Nick a visit!

20. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Not just city folks...us folks with aching backs, too.;)

I understand that the speakers are made in Italy. I wonder if it's the same company that is making the reissue Jensen speakers?