1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani ps-1000 question:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JGoldberg, Jul 19, 2012.

1. JGoldberg

JGoldberg

Jul 10, 2011
    Westchester, NY
    Hi,

Bridged mode on the ps-1000 has a minimum impedance of 8ohms. If I want to run a single 4ohm cab through one channel (not bridged) will it damage the channel not in use?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It shouldn't be a problem if you're running it un-bridged and using one channel.

The fact that it bridges at 8ohms only tells one that each side should be good to 4ohms.

3. JGoldberg

JGoldberg

Jul 10, 2011
    Westchester, NY
    I only ask because I have heard of amps getting damaged when you turn the master up and nothing is plugged in. I figured that since the PS-1000 is essentially 2 amps there might be a problem with the second channel. But the inner-workings of these things remain a mystery to me.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nope. Its a stereo solid state amp. As such, you can run either 'side' of the amp by it self, or with separate cabs on each side...or you can bridge. Bridging combines the voltage swing of both amps together, with each amp pulling against each other (one handling the plus side of the wave, one handling the minus side of the wave).

The offset of that, is that when you run bridged at 8ohms, each side is 'seeing' a 4ohm load, so you can't run it bridged below 8ohms total.

What you've heard about an amp with no speaker 'load' is very true...for most tube amps. Solid state amps don't have this condition.

Another offshoot, is that if you're only using one channel of your stereo amp, you may get slightly more wattage out of that one channel than you would from that side when you run both channels...this is because they both share a single power supply.

5. JGoldberg

JGoldberg

Jul 10, 2011
    Westchester, NY
    Thanks. That was very informative.