1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani PS 112, anyone use one (or two)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftymike, Mar 15, 2008.

1. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    I'm really thinking about getting a pair of these (well, one now and another in a couple of months) but I don't have anywhere to try them out. I searched but there doesnt seem to be much info here. I'm going to be getting a Shuttle 6.0 to run them - any thoughts?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have one I'm using under a Markbass combo. I haven't got to gig with it yet, but at home ,it sounds pretty damn good. Definitely a more "traditional" take on the Epifani sound.

4. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    Thanks for the link. i must have missed that .

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ;)

of most of the 1x12's i've gone thru, the PS112 has that fat lower mid to lows presence that most other cabs dont have, i.e. that gorilla like heft in the sound. and love how the tweeter has a sweet refined feel similar to its sibiling, the epifani UL112. unfortunately, the PS112 doesnt feel nearly as quick or as responsive as the more balanced and polite sounding UL112.

aguilar's GS112 is similar, but has a bit more of an upper end airyness, and isnt as thick feeling in the lower end. the eden D112XLT has a nice thick lower midrange, but doesnt have that fullness in the lower lows, and its tweeter is a touch too edgy for me. the berg HT112 isnt as thick in the lower midrange or lows, sounds more balanced with an ever so slight thickness in the mids, but its tweeter is pretty awesomely sweet and refined.

i just got my shuttle 6.0, and while i havent tried it with the ps112's yet, it'd probably make for a richly thick and fat sound! not as 3D or as silky as my 902 into my ul112 stack, but it definitely has a thick tubey grunt that i dig.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive owned both the ps and ul as well and i didnt think the ul was more responsive at all. to me it sounded like the ps with thinner lows. although, for my preferred sound, i couldnt really get by with a 112 stack. the best results i ever got with those cabs was by putting one on top of an epi 210 to add some mids.

7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    My mini-rig of late for gigs has been a WW Greenie on top of 1 PS112 and 1 Flite 115MH. This rig really works. I was originally planning to get a 2nd PS112, and still may, but the 112/115 stack sounded so great that I got distracted for the moment. Maybe permanently.:D

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    fair enough,

still, to these ears and my sadowsky, the PS and UL couldnt be anymore different in how they handled the lower end. the PS seems to make things even bigger, fatter, and more hefty, while the UL seems to tighten it all up and again, give me that quicker feel, which was helped along by the ul112's better upper mid articulation. felt like the ps112's extra whump in the lower end of its spectrum seems to mask that.