1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani PS 112 speaker replacement suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rustlander1, Oct 21, 2015.

1. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Hi, first posting here! So I have a pair of Epifani PS 112's and one has a bad/blown 12" driver so, I'm looking for info on replacing it so I can get some use out my cabs. I have talked to Nick at Epifani and he sent me through some trouble shooting but not sure if he has anymore drivers for that cab, he is checking and will get back to me. In the event that he doesn't have a direct replacement - what would y'all suggest? Has anyone replaced the driver in theirs and with what?

I do understand it would not be the same sound, etc. and I'll just have to accept that for now. I'm thinking neo - maybe a faital 12pr300?

Thanks!

2. If I recall correctly they're B&C OEM drivers, so you could probably get a reasonably similar B&C driver.

3. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks pie_man, I'll definitely look into that. The speaker is unmarked so I have no way of knowing what's in there.
    Has anyone tried loading their ps112 with anything different? Success? Failure?

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ask the manufacturer for their recommendation if they no longer have the original driver available.

pie_man_25 and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks aged horse! I have done that. I'm waiting to hear back. I was looking for anyone that may have tried a different driver or thoughts from someone who knows these cabs well.

pedulla-2007 likes this.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Follow agedhorse's advice it makes sense to me. :)

7. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    After some further testing - frequency generator and trying to find air leaks or some kind of issue other than the speaker, I don't believe that the speaker is blown. The really weird part is that the rattling sound goes away when I take the back plate off. It seems as if the airspace is not right for the speaker. I'm not quite sure how to solve this issue. Feel free to reply if anyone has a suggestion or similar issue but I'll probably make a new, more precise post. Thanks everyone for their help.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Perhaps now is the ideal time to connect with a speaker repair technician who understands his trade?

9. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    That sounds like a great idea. Do you have a suggestion? Do you know of any in the Pittsburgh area?

10. If the driver doesn't seem blown after taking off the back plate, how do we know it's blown? Have you tried pushing lightly on the cone to see if the voice coil is warped? What troubleshooting methods have you tried? Is there any possibility that this is just something in the back plate rattling?

Maybe one of the screws is just lose, or perhaps something in the crossover might have come loose, and could just be fixed by tightening a screw, or putting some glue and a toothpick into a screw hole. That would be a lot cheaper than getting a whole new driver.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Try Galaxie Electronics, or Audio Factory (more pro audio oriented) to start with. What you need is a tech with solid basic troubleshooting skills.

12. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Hey pie-man, let me start by saying the sound only happens on notes C through Eb on the E string and notes E through about G on the A string. Its a rattle that is sort of mechanical sounding (???) And goes away as the note decays.

Yes I pushed on the driver, no rub. I pulled the speaker out and and checked it over well for anything loose or out of the ordinary, it looks well. Checked the inside of cab and tweeter for anything loose. Checked speaker with a 9 volt, all of these were Nick's suggestions. None of that changed anything, still the rattle. I also ran a frequency generator through the speaker out of the cab and no rattle.

Today hooked up the freq generator up to the cab, speaker loaded, rattle is there. I'm able to let it sustain like that for a bit to try and find air leaks, dead end. So, while it rattling I pull the back plate and low and behold rattle is gone ( and a crap load of air coming out the back). Place the back plate back, rattle returns - this part is done without screws. Weird thing is that when I put the back plate on the speaker looks like its getting sucked in or tensed up...when I pull the BP off its like the speaker relaxes. Strange.

Anyway, I have a pair of ps112's and the other does not react this way under the test conditions.

13. hmm, all I've got is to try seeing it there are any screws on that plate that need tightening, or if anything looks like it has come loose. Otherwise I think I'm stumped, unless I were there.

14. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    I certainly appreciate the effort. I'm a bit stumped too.

15. rustlander1

rustlander1

Sep 8, 2013
    Update: After a very frustrating couple of weeks the problem has been resolved and speaker and cab are healthy. The wires going from the inside of the speaker/voice coil to the speaker terminal (two silver wires, +/-) were too long and either bouncing off something like a dust cover or maybe hitting off each other during certain frequencies. Thanks to all for the input and effort.