1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani PS115 x 2: Which is current?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alphaman, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    I ordered 2 PS410's 2 years ago and they are my favorite cab. I've played so many other cabs over the past year but keep coming back to the Epifani PS series. The next best cab for me that really is just as good if not better is the Bergantino HS series but they just don't have the bottom that these cabs possess. By the way, I've had a couple of the Epifani UL Series cabs a UL310 and UL210 and just don't like the sound. Anyway, with my love for the PS series, I ordered 2 Epifani PS115's from an online store and received them today. First I opened up 1 box and quickly plugged it in for a spin. To my amazement, something just wasn't there?...bummer? Anyway, I played it for a while to try and figure what spice was missing. Afterwards, I opened the 2nd box and plugged in the 2nd cab alone. When I played it, this is what I was looking for! It was just what I'd always heard from the PS cabs. Anyway, I looked them over and realized that they not only sound different, they even look different. One of them has the separate speakons and 1/4 inch connections and the other appears to have the 1/4 inch connection inside the speakon jacks. Can you guys tell me which cab is current and if perhaps one of these is from an overseas manufacturer? I'm not sure what to think about this right now. I really like the sound of the cab with the separate speakons much better. I'm positive I will see about returning the one without the 1/4 inch connections for another cab if they're still made. Any of you guys purchase one of the PS cabs and can tell me how your control plate looks? It would appear to me that there's more different than the control plates from the sound I hear. Thanks for your help
    Sorry about the rotated pics...
    DSC00591.gif
    DSC00590.gif
    DSC00596.gif
    DSC00597.gif

2. Can you describe the sonic difference?

3. mini max 12

mini max 12

Sep 29, 2009
    Hi, I saw a new design Epifani cab today, it was the PS 210 cab, the first thing I noticed was the speakers were ALL BLACK, not the 2 tone eminence looking 10s on the website. Also the dust caps are smaller than the 2 toned speaker cab, I looked at the back and there are NO 1/4 " inputs just speakons. The info on the input panel is TYPED not hand written like ASHDOWN & OLD EPIFANI CABS, After reading your post id be leary buying the NEW design over the OLD design cabs, if its hand written on the input back panel ITS THE OLD STYLE!!! TYPED WITHOUT 1/4" inputs its NEW STYLE!!! I like the ALL BLACK 15" 12" speaker look better than the 2 tone look, but if you noticed a NON EPIFANI sound from the new style NO 1/4" input PS 115 cab you got id stick with the OLDER DESIGN CABS!!! OR MAYBE YOU JUST GOT A LEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

4. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    I contacted Epifani and spoke to the owner. He informed me that the newer cabs don't have the seprate 1/4" connections. I told him that the cab also sounds completely different and I much preferred the sound of the old cab design. He told me to crank more power into the newer design and see that it sounds the same because the new woofer in the new cab is rated for more power but he didn't change the specs on the website. Therefore, I cranked my Mesa M9 into the old and the new cab and found that the new cab began to break up badly before the old cab design and just didn't sound nearly as musical as the old cab design. It seemed that the company has changed the design but didn't update published specs because I don't think they want people to know of the change. They sound a lot different in my opinion. I was unhappy with the sound of the new cab and matters were made worse by speaking to the owner and feeling that they're trying to pull the wool over customer's eyes...so to speak. I ended up returning the new cab and keeping the old one. I asked him if I could find another old cab to buy and he informed me that the old design is not available. Anyway, the Epifani PS series used to be my favorite cab but the new design leaves much to be desired.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020