Epifani Quest Pre-Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, May 14, 2002.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I saw mention of this on the Epifani Website.

ANyone got any news on the availability and price?

It' s got some nice features listed. Take a look and share you opinions. (Of course, I don't know if anyone's tried it yet that posts here.)

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Mario,

It looks interesting for sure. Never heard any Epifani products so I'm useless to you as far as trying to speculate on how it would sound. I wonder how many tubes will be used in it's circuitry?

Quest Pre-Amp
    Pre-Amp Features:
    (Coning Soon)

- All Tube Circuitry
    - Variable Noise Reduction
    - Mute Switch
    - Bright Switch
    - Switch Between 2 Bass Controls
    - Variable Limiter
    - Hi and Low Input
    - Effects Send & Return
    - Tuner Out
    - Voltage Selector (110/220)
    - Tubes Mounted on Chassis
    - 1 Rack Space
    - Built for Touring
    - Two Main Outs
    - DI
    - Selector For DI
    - Speaker Emulator
    - Post EQ
    - Pre EQ
    - DI Level Output Control
    - 7 Position Mid EQ Switc
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Geez louise...

Dev-man and myself have been waiting for this thing to make it back to Nick's shop anyday now. Dev almost got his hot hands on it, but was sent off to the manufacturer for final tweaks and preparation for deployment. i got there a week too late as well.

I know Nick's very fond of the classic creamy Alembic sound (and who isnt? :D), but with that 7 position Mid EQ switch, i'm sure he's gonna address the "cut only" mid control on the Alembic.

Should be killer!
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I had heard that it was along the same lines as the F1-X, also.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    bump for the Epi goodness...
  6. I'm bringing out this old thread to know more about the Quest. I guess you had the time to try it.
    What are your feelings?

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm betting that it will be ready for the winter NAMM show.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good lord, i hope so.

but yea, i did try the Epifani prototype as well as, the finished floor demo they had at the shop, and they both sounded pretty farkin' nice. to be crass, the Epi preamps are very much like a hifi Demeter, but with a waaaaaaaaay more versatile EQ section.

with my 3x10UL, my old Dem VTBP-201s was more prettier and open sounding, while the Epifani was just plain ballsier and punchier no matter the EQ setting. the Epi can be breezy sounding, too, but i havent been able to make the Dem nearly as punchie or as authoratative. compared to my DB680, the Epi's more edgier sounding, while the aguilar preamp's much smoother and "gooey".

btw, the prototype strangely sounded much fatter and corpulent like the Alembic at the shop, while the finished model was clearer and not quite as fat. tho, at first i liked the prototype's overall fatness, after spending more time with the finished one, its clarity and articulation really won out in the end.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY