1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani Quest pre vs UL502/902??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el_Kabong, Oct 13, 2006.

1. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Has anyone had any experience comparing the quest pre with a suitable power amp against the integrated heads? I'm wondering if much/any of the epifani's voice is attributable to it's power amp. I was surprised how coloured the power amp in my gk700rb was. I'm thinking of putting a quest with a ca9 that I already own. I know it's heavy and overkill, but at least it's lighter than an svt. ;)

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have owned a Quest II, and now own a UL502. I was using a crown xls602 with the Quest II. Comparing that setup to my UL502, it was definetly a different sound. I would think that a Quest II with the CA9 would be a fantastic combo though.

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks xgabriel. Can you remember your old setup well enough to elaborate on the differences? Where they substantial or minor? Ta!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i like to keep it simple when it comes to my gear these days, and going with an integrated head sorta rules out yet another variable that i might not have control over.

also, i like using brand on brand matching components, cause i feel like this is the way the manufacturer intended his gear to be heard, and thus getting the most value out of your gear in letting it be heard in its truest, closest potential.

and FYI, i've tried the prototype 902 head at the shop a few times, and dangnabbit, it never makes me think, "ooo, wish i had a different power amp..." ;)

5. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    What you're saying makes sense Joker. I'm not looking to improve on the integrated amps so much as hoping that I don't mess with a good thing by taking the pre/power option. If I was starting from scratch I wouln't go that way but as I already own the crest I think it's going to be considerably cheaper for me to pick up a quest.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    totally understood...

if anything, you'll definitely get the Epifani goods w/ the preamp, and heck, wouldnt be surprised if you like the epi / crest combo more. :cool: ;)

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Hmmm, sounds like good news for my wallet, bad news for my back.

8. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    You'll like the Quest pre with your Crest CA9. I have the Epi 502 and used it pre out with my Crown MT1200 and it knocked me over. I just don't like the weight and carrying a rack around anymore. I like it simple and the 502 does a great job, IMO.

Yes Nick's power supply does make a difference, as with any amp manufacturer. Nick's 502 is class D with modulation, transformer and the 902C is class D with switchable power supply as is the PS600. The power source makes a BIG difference if you don't mind the weight these days. I'm 55 and it makes a difference. :bag: :p

You'll like it with the CA9. Nick's pre is a nice sounding pre to add to your rack.

9. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    I did it the other way.
    I'll pre-owened an Alembic F1-X with an Crown. This was an very good warm sounding setup. But I needed to change to a more LW solution. I have tried the Epifani UL 502 and loved the punch and clear sound compaired to the Alembic. But after some gigs I was not 100% convinced. There was something missing in sound. I was used to work with a stronger and warmer poweramp.

Then I had the oppertunity to compare the UL502 with a Quest II.

The test with the Quest II connected to a PowerSoft D2004 poweramp (Made in Italy, 2 x 1100 Watt at 4 Ohm) was amazing. The result was more great clear and punchy sound. It cuts with more warmth to the band sound. It also cleared an other problem for me. I'll like to switch from Glockenklang Cabs to Epifani UL212 and a UL210 to create a very flexible LW set-up. Normaly there is a problem with volume mix to 2 diff. cabs. Also if impendance of 8 and 4 Ohms is solved. This is the reason not to go for an UL902. In the end I'll still have a lightweight amp. The Quest is 8 Lbs and the Powersoft amp is 16 Lbs. 20 Ls is not bad I think. The 1HE poweramp is not cheap but one of the best I'll ever heard.
    It works for me..... and the very positive feedback from other bass players after a gig is nice.

10. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Well I finally got my hands on a used quest (thanks to Jim @ bass and beyond, not a bad bloke for a pommy geeze ;) ). First impressions from a rehearsal are very good indeed. As KillerB said, very clear and yet warm at the same time. It also has a great feel to play, tons of sustain like you get playing loud but it seems to be there even at low volume while retaining excellent dynamics. As you would expect the eq is well matched to a ul410.

I can't help but think a plx1804 with one of these would make a great alternative to a 902. Much cheaper, only a few pounds heavier, but 4ru. And again as KillerB said, you get the channel attenuators missing from the 902, an essential feature imo if you run two cabs that are not identical. Useful as a tone control too, if the stage is a little boomy, turn the bottom cab down a bit and the top one up.

Bottom line is if you have epifani cabs and haven't tried epifani amplication with it, you really should give it a listen.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i have the 1804 that i use w/ my kern, but frankly, its nearly impossible for not me to want to pick up my superbly easy to carry 902 to a gig. it literally makes the 1804/kern setup feel like a sack of bricks in comparison.

actually, my next rig will definitely be my 902 + UL210 + UL115, and good lord, i'm getting tremendously excited just thinking about it. :hyper:

12. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Are you sure it won't be too heavy? :D Too bad I'll never get to hear that setup.

How does the 1804 hold up gruntwise (do you mind me calling you that?) compared to the 902? When I get as lazy as some it might make a decent substitute for my ca9. Wotcha think?

13. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    I had someproblem with my poweramp (Powersoft) and had the oppertunity to do an A /B with a Lab. Gruppen fp 2600. I was suppriced about the difference in sound. The lab have a lot more low end and punch. I thougt poweramps don't have so mutch infuence on sound. Not cheap to bye the Lab gruppen fp 3400 with 2 x 1500 watt/4 Ohm, but worth every penny. So cool this top amp and light weight (under 20 Lbs)

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    attack of the zombie threads!

FYI, UL902 + UL310(x2) = scared front row!

and just for archive sake, to answer el-k's question, i dont really hear much of a difference on gig. the 1804 does have a touch more heft, and the 902 just feels that much more faster and more responsive to the fingers, but even that's splitting a split hair.

then again, i'm pretty darn aggressive in my EQ'ing, and the lows knob of the 902 seems to be the window rattling / heft knob, so it makes things even harder to tell. :D

but will the 1804 sound like the ca9? HIGHLY doubtful, especially considering the ca9's has that big ol' torodial tran. but anyone know what a *2-tier* class H means?