Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Rig.. UL502 / 310UL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozbass, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Well, I've had this rig a few weeks now and have given it a good workout at several gigs. I've got to say that I'm delighted so far.

The tone is everything I hoped for.....very clear and articulate across the spectrum. Smooth low end through to highs that are clean without being harsh at all. Great useable tones from the 502.

The 310 gives me more than enough volume. I've used it both with PA support as a stage monitor and also as a stand alone unit...and I'm highly satisfied so far and, of course, it is SO LIGHT! I wish the amp was capable of pushing two 310's.....but in all honesty, for my circumstances, I would rarely need that kind of rig.

So there we are...I'm happy with my new gear. It has also shown me that it is relatively painless to have gear sent over from the US to Aus and certainly worth it for the savings made.

Cheers
    Oz

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice!

let's see what we have here..
    Status Stealth?
    Hanewinckel?
    UL502 and Korg rackmount tuner?
    And the 310.

Was fun guessing.

Anyway, enjoy.

there is a guy selling a 502 and a 410 UL around here... though his pricing sems a bit out-of-whack: he wants $5000 for that rig :rolleyes: what an idiot, even better, he posted it online - where in two minutes you can check the real price of it :D :rollno: :D

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

epi gear is worth its weight in gold. ;)

but SWEET rig, oz!
    :cool:

and yea, i took have been tinkering with the idea of using another cab with my UL310, but instead getting a UL115. hopin' Nick'll offer a 4 ohm version, so i can send as much juice possible, but we'll see.

4. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    i like that fender tuner. is it as accurate as a korg?

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sweet rig... I run my 502 into an NYC 210, but played it thru a UL-310 at the dealer and was very impressed. Great combination.

6. That's a nice rig!

Have you tried playing real loud?

When I play loud with my 502 with two 1x12's I think that the amp gets to midrange in tone. Maybe it's my 1x12's. It just not sounds very good!

Christian

7. My guess is it's the 1-12 cabs.

8. I think you might right!

12's should add more bottom and warm :meh:

Still a great amp.

Next stop: Thunderfunk - Walter woods - Focus.
    That's my Basstrain :D

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

amps, cabs, etc. ALL sound different at different sound levels. so by merely compensating in the EQ should help. does EQ'ing not help?

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been using a 310UL with different amps. It just plain
    sounds great. I now agree with those who feel the Epi 310UL
    is destined to be a "classic". Very versitile, light weight, and
    sounds great at any volume. The 502 is a natural match.

11. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey

Status Empathy
    Yamaha TRB5PII
    UL502 Fender Rack Tuner
    Ul310

Oz

12. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    I've had it for a few weeks, and, yes it seems very accurate and does its job perfectly.....and you gotta love those strobing blue lights!

Not used the Korgs so can't comment....but these are a fraction of the price of a Korg

Cheers
    Oz

13. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey Christian

I've played the rig without pA support on a couple of occasions where I needed to play pretty loud and the Tone remained consistently good .I have not had any volume issues.

I haven't tried my new 5'er with the rig yet. I'm hoping the 310 handles the low B as well as it handles the E A D & G.

Cheers

Oz

14. Awesome rig OzBass! Great to see a great rig here in Australia, especially an Epi one- I'd hate to imagine the cost of it if brought here :meh: Even Agulair and Eden rigs are way..... out of my price range if brought here. I do have a question though...

Did you ship the whole rig as one unit- or seperate cabinet and rack? How much did the shipping of the cabinet cost from the USA, and how did you ship it?

Cul

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, it looks like I got nothing right :rollno: :D
    Time to freshen up my memory and cpu :D

16. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Cul
    I purchased the head and cab from the US.......they were boxed separately and shipped via BAX GLOBAL to me for US$250....which I thought was good value..the retailer organised this.

Cheers
    Oz

17. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    hey great rig ...

i wonder about those handles for rack ? did you order it from epifani or .... ?
    i'm interasted in buying quest preamp II and to put it in the rack :) and i'm pretty new into the rack bussines , so sorry for stupid question :D

18. The Rackears is from Epifani and they fits the 502/quest perfect.

19. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    I'm thinking of getting a second 310 for larger gigs without PA support....to power this,as the 502 doesn't do 2 ohms, I need to use the 502 as my preamp and add a power amp.

I have no experience of Pre / Power setups.
    So, which power amp would you guys recommend to add to my rack to achieve this

Weight is an issue...so the lighter the better.(without compromising on quality) Ideally to fit neatly into the spare single rack space I have.

Appreciate your help on this.

Cheers
    Oz

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    stewart world 1.2 should fit the bill nicely.