Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani situation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stroy05, Aug 14, 2002.

1. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    To those who use Epifani cabs.

I have a chance to get a used 310 cab in brandnew condition. What i am wondering is what amp is a good fit for this cab. I am wanting portability. I would love to get a walter woods again but taht is out of the question and range. I am wanting to spend around $1000 for the head.

I play all styles of music in different venues. This WILL NOT be use to fill the room with bass since i plug into a PA.

So let me know what you guys think.

I was thinking Eden, EA, or something like that.

Thanks

2. i played an Eden WT-800 thru a Epifani 2x12 and it worked just beautifully. i can't say anything about the 3x10 but you can't really go wrong with the Eden.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My experience has been (I own the Epi T212) the more watts, the better. That said, I've had good results with an EA iAmp600. 600 watts into the 4 ohm load in small to medium rooms. I didn't much care for Eden with mine. I own the WT400 and the WT800 and neither did it for me with the Epifani cab. Of course, the 800 is only bridgable into 8 ohms so I couldn't use its full wattage into my cab. Neither could you with the 310. An amp that worked very well with mine is the SWR Bass 750--clean and tight. A Mesa 400+ kicked butt with it, too. If I was putting together amplification for an Epi 310, however, I think I'd look at separate power amp/preamp combinations. Say Stewart/Demeter, Crown/Kern, etc. Those Epi cabs really come to life with 1K+ watts.

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Euphonic Audio iAmp 600 anyone? :)

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I have been using an Epifani 2X12 with an Ashdown ABM-300. Killer sound and highly recommended.

Dan K.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Nick actually had an Alembic/Crown rack system in his "showroom" to show people what his cabs could to. i wouldnt be surprised if he used it to voice his cabs. it did sound achingly good. i wouldnt be surprised if the similarly milky Kern sounded just as ridiculous as well.

also, you havent tried lovin' until you've smoked with an Aguilar rig thru an Epifani cab. my DB680/peaveyDPC sounded freakin' HUGE thru a friend's 1x12. tighter than a drumhead, and bigger than most 1x12's i've played. made my Aggie nearly hang its head in shame.

7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Jokerjkny,

Do you remember what model he used from Crown?

I second the Bass 750, but the sound only gets better with more power (headroom).

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Speaking of Epifani and preamps, anyone hear anything new about the Epifani preamp?

I went to a boutique bass store last week that had a walter woods through an Epifani 4x10. It sounded great. The walter woods was a little too sterile for my tastes but it was still a great amp. There was also an Epifani 6x10 there. Never seen one of those before.

Back to the original topic, for a grand you could get a used Alembic F1-X ($400, less if you're lucky) and have $600 left for a big powerful power amp.

9. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a pair of Epifani T-112s, and I have used them, singly and in pairs, with a GK1001RB, a bridged QSC PLX1602, and a bridged Stewart World 1.2. I agree that they really come alive with a 1K+ amp, although the GK did a surprisingly good job. The extra headroom opens up the sound and gives definite punch to the leading-edge transients. I settled on the Stewart (the GK preamp was too hissy and the PLX fan was too loud for me) and am very happy. The Stewart sound is just a trace warmer than the PLX sound, too, which I like a little better, but we're talking splitting hairs here.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

uhh... cant remember, but if you call up the shop, i'm sure Nick can tell you.

11. bbp

bbp

Jul 25, 2002
    i looked at the epifani 310. the problem is the cab is rated at 6.2 ohms or something like that. my mesa 400+ has outputs of 2, 4, or 8 ohms. i see automatic mismatch here and potential problems. any reason why they did this? do any of you share my concerns over this? if you had a tube head, which output is corect to use?

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree with the seperate pre/power amp idea! All my speakers come alive when they have the juice they like......it keeps cone movement down too!

13. I have both an Epifani 3x10 and a SWR 4x10(new) and I have to say the Epifani is much smoother and richer yet tight for slapping.
    I use an SWR 900 head. Epifani will expose the weakness of any head and is just begging for a quality preamp and power amp. Although I love the SWR head, I can't wait to try a good preamp( I haven't pick one yet) and clean power.

When I bought the Epifani cab after I heard it through an Aguilar pre and a qsc amp. I said "I'll take that cab".

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I normally run a GK 1001rb through two Eden 2-10XLTs.

I subbed on a gig for several nights where the regular bassplayer left his Epifani 3-10 for me to use. The gig was on the louder side doing R & B, funk, and some disco. That cab had a nice punch and growl at the high volume that we played. I was playing a MTD 535 through it, and the bottom was punchy, full bodied, and filled the room. The horn gave out some nice refined high end when a I slapped or dug-in on some synchopated funk grooves.

It seemed to have a certain inherent lower mid bass bump in the frequency response which you couldn't really dial out, not that I wanted to. This characteristic give your tone a distinct punch.

it's a great cab! just MHO!