Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani sourcing their drivers elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLM, Jan 4, 2006.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Quote from a retailer..."Epifani is now getting their drivers from another source and delivery is backed up."

Anyone know the reasons?

2. If it's true, my guess is that the B&C drivers are very expensive, especially due to the exchange rate, and that Eminence is finally coming out with some decent Neo's, from what I've heard. So, again if it is true, Nick might be going to a different manufacturer to keep costs down, increase margins, etc. I've heard some of the new Eminence Neo's are rivaling the wonderful B&C's.

However... just a guess... I have zero inside info!

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Were the original Epifani NYC cabs equipped with a non-neo B&C driver, or was it a totally different manufacturer?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They might be drying up their stock in anticipation of the DeltaLite II's, which will be introduced at Namm in 2 weeks. Eminence has been pretty tight lipped about them. I'm expecting some to show up at my door anytime. They were due to go into full production the middle of December, it could be a while before significant numbers are available.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've heard a few prototypes of the earlier eminence neo drivers a little while back, and i was very underwhelmed. flat, and rather "meh".

my current production UL310 is incredible, and it'd be a bummer if whoever nick decides to go w/ doesnt match that. :meh:

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    do you think B&C has stock of the drivers they make for epifani? or, as they make them, would BC ship them all to epi>?

are the bC that epi uses over the shelf models? or are the a custom order? (anyone have a model # off the back of a BC speaker from an Epi?)

i am pretty ignorant re the volume we are talking here...
    my point is that i wonder if , as epi is saying no thanks to more shipments , if BC has a shelf full of these beautiful drivers!??!

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Most MFRs have a set minimum per OEM order, say 50 or 100 drivers. They don't make up more than what's ordered, but when you can build 1,000 a day it's no big deal to crank them out when needed. As to how customized an OEM is, it can be totally unique, or it can be an off the shelf model save for a silkscreened logo. One thing you can be assured of, no OEM is so different from off the shelf that it offers a magical sound that can't be duplicated. In fact, many OEMs are older discontinued products no longer offered except to the trade.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    <-------------- crosses his fingers... :meh:

9. You know, I'm hoping they stick with B&C too. I'm strongly looking into getting an Epifani cab soon and frankly, especially for the money, I'd want to go with something that's tried and tested by bassists everywhere. I don't want to be the sucker who gets the crappy speakers before they realize they need to go back to the old stuff (not that I'm saying the Eminence stuff is bad!). I'm just a little apprehensive trying anything that's brand new and hasn't gotten any reviews by the bass community in general. I suppose maybe I should look into picking up that Epifani cab...

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, knowing nick, he's not gonna release nothing unless he knows for sure that it'll knock you back on your heels, stumble you onto your butt, and make you bump the back of your head.

still, i'm a little apprehensive as to who this retailer is, and who he talked to. :eyebrow:

11. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    So, if Epifani is looking to source their speakers elsewhere (and I don't know how true that is), does anyone know if it's because they're having problems with current B&C quality?

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    +1. As a matter of fact, I'm of the opinion that the "Changing Driver brands" quote refers to when Epi stopped using Eminence and started using B&C's.

Bill are ther any T/S specs available for the Deltalite II series?

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Not yet.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Well that helps cuase I thought Epi's used Eminence, at least I remember a bud telling me his Epi 310 had Eminence drivers. And loved the cab. So they must have changed to B&C within the last couple years.

At any rate there's nothing substandard about Eminence I'm aware of, which is not to say the tone may not be an issue aside from quality but that's no different than one speaker to another within the same manufacturer. It's funny how easily what the ear hears changes once the brain has a change in information. It's like a cerebral suck knob. Still I'd rather know up front than buy the cab and wonder ***. But I'd hope my brain wouldn't over-rule the reality of what actually is.

15. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I think that the original Epi's used Eminence drivers (the NYC non-neo line) and they switched to B&C with the neo-equipped UL line...

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The 1st generation Eminence Delta Lites had a good ten, the 2510, but the twelve and fifteen were less than stellar. The Delta Lite IIs promise to be a lot better, so perhaps Epifani is awaiting their release to see if making another switch is warranted. NAMM is only a week away, specs will be available then.

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

My guess is if Eminence knows Epi knows and Epi is either delaying for NAMM themselves or has other reasons.

Which brings up a tangential question but one of interest, which both of the posts I've responded to brought to mind.

Really have no clue but my assumption has always been that OEM speakers are far removed from simply being modifications of the speaker manufacturers over-the-counter offerings, at least to the degree that you get what you pay for.

I don't know whether cab makers essentially design their own speaker and have the manufacturer make them for them, simply give them the cab design and tell them what qualities their looking for, have a spec sheet they submit to varioius speaker manufucturers for bids like a contractor/sub relationship, or whatever.

Does anybody have inside info?

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    For the most part you order from the manufacturer what you want based on T/S specs and they make it up for you from stock parts. A frame from column A, cone from column B, voice coil from column C, etc. They're not going to build you a new frame from scratch, though with a large enough order they might come up with a unique cone, but with an outfit as big as Eminence there's not much they can't do using parts they already have on hand. It would be the very rare cabinet maker that knows enough about driver design to come up with something better than what the guys who design drivers for a living do. I was involved in the development of the (about to be released) Eminence HL10c, giving suggestions as to what would make the driver best for the application that I wanted to use it in, but it was the engineers at Eminence who figured out how to do it.