Epifani T-212 NYC or Schroeder 1212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Jul 8, 2005.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I have the opportunity to buy either one right now. The Epifani is used and less money than the Schroeder.

The Epifani is the vertically stacked 212 as opposed to the in-line older version.

I mainly play rock, but touch on other styles including blues, funk, etc.

I want either cab to handle small to medium sized clubs and rehearsals, but am concerned with their tone at lower volumes.

I have a Bergantino NV-610 for larger shows.

My heads are a GK 1001 RB II or a Trace Elliot VA400 (400 Watt tube).

Thanks for your help.
  2. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    Try a Genz-Benz NeoX212 before you get either; you just might sell your Bergie.
  3. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id go the schroeder 1212, great tone.
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think I would go with the Schroeder. It should be a much smaller box than the Epi 212 which would leave you with one big cab and a relatively small one (as opposed to a big cab, and a slightly less big/heavy one). I have a Schroeder 1010, and it fares perfectly well at low volumes.
  5. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I am leaning more to yur thinking. Even though the Epifani is a 212, it is still 72lbs. I will be test driving the Epifani this weekend, where I won't have a chance to test drive the Schroeder anywhere near Coneecticut.

If the tone on the Epifani is smoking, it will be a hard decision to make.

I am still concerned that the Epifani will be able to cut it as good cabinet for rock.

I don't know why I associate Epifani more with a modern R&B sound used for slapping etc.
  6. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    How far are you from NYC? You're more than welcome to test drive my 1010 if you want to head over this way. I also have an 1001RB-II, so you could get a good reference (although I'm sure the 1212 sounds much different from a 1010)...
  7. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Hi Aram,

Thanks for the offer, but like you said they are much different, so I think I am going to pass.
  8. Never played the Epi 212 but I have had the opportunity to A/B the 1210 and 1212 at Jorgs place and I own an Epi 210. The 1212 is still on my GAS list. Where the 1210 is in your face and very present in the low mids, the 1212 was to my ears warmer and more buttery in the low end while still capable of some good chest thump. Comparing it to my Epi 210, the biggest difference is in the highs which are more pronounced on the Epi. If you like slicing top end, the Epi might be more to you liking but if you're after a more subtle treble edge, the Schroeder might do it. I'm considering putting a 1212 under my 210 to get the best of both worlds. Hope that helps...
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Matt R likes this.
  10. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I don't think you could go wrong with either but if price and portability are factors in your decision, then the Schroeder has an edge. I have a 1212 and have heard an epi 212 several times at gigs. I really like both cabs but the schroeder is more my sound - nice woody growl in the low mids (the epi has this too) not too boomy in the lows and not too "stringy" in the highs (this is where I prefer the schro, although again both cabs are great). I think you could probably EQ either one to get close to the other.
  11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I'd get the Epifani in a heartbeat. I've used a single 212 on plenty of rock gigs. The Berg might be unnecessary.
    Matt R likes this.
  12. USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    If you can try out the Epifani you will have an answer. If it doesn't do it for you then I guess you could take a poke in the dark and buy the other cabinet or any other cab without hearing it. The forum hype is not the best way to make a decision but it's easy to get caught up in it. I believe there are quite a few very good cab makers out there and because we all don't use the same bass, amp or have the same touch, one cabinet can't be the "best" for all of us. What sounds good to me isn't influenced by hundreds of threads posted by people patting themselves on the back for buying a specific brand and joining that club.
    If you respect someone who uses a particular cabinet and has chosen it not because they have something to gain or is friends with someone who sells, knows, had breakfast with, use to date the owners wife etc etc and you respect their opinion then I would give it some weight. Otherwise I disregard excessive hype from people I don't know.
    Good luck with your decision.
  13. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have an Epi 212D....

get the Epi
  14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sincity, beware of the hype and beware of the anti-hype!

Your own ears are all you can really trust and a live gig is the best test.

Those two cabs are going to sound very different.

If you've found a good price on the Epi, it's hard to see how you could go wrong by getting it.
    If you decide it's not your sound, you can always recoup your investment and try again.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am an Epifani guy, so I pick the Epi. Besides, you really should only buy bass gear after you have heard it through your bass, your amp, and your fingers.

16. Certainly brand A might work for some better than brand B, or C, etc., no doubt about it. We bassists should be happy and greatful being able to choose from so many different brands in the pursuit for the ideal sound. Being a previous Epifani user myself for several years I can vouch for Nick's outstanding products.

thank you

17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    hype1 (hp) Slang
    Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.
    Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: “It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job” (Saturday Review).
    An advertising or promotional ploy: “Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as ‘Restaurant City, U.S.A.’” (New York).
    Something deliberately misleading; a deception: “ [He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies” (Joel Oppenheimer).

I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between hype and positive reviews by unbiased people that have experience with a product.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either. The T-212 is a legitimately great cab and the Schroeder is too. They are both widely admired by a diverse group of players. In other words, you have a pleasant dilema on your hands! ;)
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, tough call. I have no epi experience, but I really like my Schroeder a lot, and can't imagine gigging without one. I use the 410, and the combo of light weight, small size, and unbelievable volume and tone really is something you have to hear in a live setting to believe.

I'm pretty biased about Jorg's product....;)