Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani T310, QSC plx.2402, preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bkchang79, Feb 6, 2003.

1. What's the used market price for a Epifani T310? Can I use my Sansamp bass driver DI as a preamp until I can afford something better? What do you guys reccommend as a preamp? I was thinking about the Aguilar db659, but some people think that it's not worth the price and reccommend the sansamp RBI.

2. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    You know that Nick Epifani has 2 new pre amps out. One is tube and one is not. I would think that there would not be a better match for his 3-10.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey meekster,

Do you know if that is true for all preamps? I'm currently using the XLR output jack on my Ampeg SVP because it eliminates noise (being a balanced connection I suppose). I believe this has effected my volume though.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A very good pre but a poor match with the QSC. Despite assurances from Aguilar (and others) the DB659 does not drive the QSC 1602 to full output. I'm hoping it will be a better match with a Stewart 1.6, in fact, as that's the combination I'm planning to try. An SVP will definitely juice that QSC but then there's the noise level...

If you've got the bucks, I'd look closely at Demeter or something with similar low-noise/high-output with that amp.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Boy, there's an understatement! The XLR is WAY lower than the 1/4" preamp outputs on the SVP. Like the difference betwee night and day! :D

6. When is the epifani preamp coming out. What's the suggested price?

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    1. Soon, supposedly 2. $1399 list or thereabouts.

8. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Contact Brian Barrett at www.thelowend.net he is the one that told me about them. He has tried them and he knows the exact price. You also can not go wrong with an Alembic F1-X. It has a juicy sound with that QSC.

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    That's what I thought, but I've changed so many cables and tried so many switches the last few days that I wasn't sure it was the XLR output that was responsible for low volume and not some other factor I changed.

So...Is there any way to increase the voltage output of the XLR balanced out? It is so quiet!

10. Wouldn't the demeter preamp make the epifani cab sound too bright since the epifani has more of a open top end then most cabs? How would the Alembic FX-1 sound?

11. To answer the open market question on the T-310. I just bought a used one for $595. They list at around $1299 and basspalace.com who prices them at a typical, even good discount is asking $995 new. I'm running my T-310 with a Mesa Walkabout. It sounds as good or better than any cabinet I've had (Edens, Aguilars etc.)

12. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I bought a used Epifani 310 for about $600 delivered. It's an absolutely solid great cabinet. I added casters and now it's actually fairly portable. Soundwise and volume wise it's been the best single cabinet I've ever owned.

I agree with the Walkabout poster. I'm just not ready to componentize the preamp, amp, effects thang for bass.

I'm using a Sunn 1200 S head in conjunction with a 31 band graphic and an F Bass BN5 and there's no gig I'll ever play, outdoors or indoors where I won't be loud enough for our band. Those of you who need more speakers, the Sunn is extremely loud, plenty of clean headroom, yeah, not hifi state of the art sounding, but none the less a very effective and especially reasonable priced hi wattage head in used form.

Good luck. $600 or less for the 310 is going rate.

LK

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Dunno but I bet Lord Valve could tell you. Or maybe Psycho Bass Guy?