Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani T310UL vs Eden D210XST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzito, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Epifani T310UL vs Eden D210XST

Which would make the best stand alone? Anyone played both side by side? I've never played the 310.

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Judging from the fact that my epi 210 UL blew the
    living crap out of my 210xlt, (not expected) I'm thinking
    that the 310 should have a healthy bit more of everything
    than the 210xst. My opinion... epi 310 is much better
    than the 210xst. Just my opinion.

3. I just played a outdoor gig this weekend a blew one of the 10's in my 210XST....I'm glad it's still under warrantee! With that in mind I would suggest you try the Epifani because if this happens again, that's exactly what I going to do!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    admittedly, havent tried the XST, but IMHO, you just cant beat the HUGE tone that comes out of the UL310.

shames most 4x10's i've heard, and if ever there was a reason for me to go with a bass stack, it'd most definitely be a pair of 3x10 Epi's. and heck, its waaaaaaaay lighter than most 2x10's. just ridiculous that its not as popular a cab as it should rightly be.

i'm still smartin' for selling my beloved 3x10. :(

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    JL, were you using the XST by itself or with other cabs? How long have you had the cab? What head were you driving it with?

6. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Joker, why did you part with your 310UL?

7. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i'm interested in how you blew the xst also, dont want to do the same with mine.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cause it didnt fit the trunk of my car. :rolleyes:

but i was also really GAS'ed to getting a pair of UL112's. but in the end, for my sound, i started to really regret selling the UL310. :(

9. I found I gained a heap of bottom end (as well as the obvious increase in volume) when I purchased my 2nd Eden 210XST. :bassist:

+ the 210XST puts out a huge sound (and presence) for a small(er) package [the new ones I have are rated @ 500W].

I reckon you should take your head to a store that carries both, tell the saleman to leave you alone & play away... :hyper:

Also - is that 310 lighter than a 210??? How solid is the construction?

10. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Here's the thing...as a lot of us are, I'm looking for the ultimate light weight portable cab(s) that will do MOST of what I need...moderate volume for small to medium clubs. If I need lotso sound, I still have my 410XLT and a 210/115 stack. I have the Berg mini stack which gets it in more situations than it should given its size, but the booty is missing...the articulation is there, just not the right equation of lows and highs. I can gig comfortably with the 210. The audience that knows me says they can hear the notes better with the mini stack. I like inherently like the response of 10's over 12's. So my thinking is, either the fuller sounding 210XST (fatter than the Berg to my ears) or maybe a 3-10, of which Epi is the only known mfgr still making one...and the UL is 47 lbs! Very sexy in theory...but I demo'd the Epi 12's against the Ag 12's and liked the "vibe" of the Ags better but bought neither because they didn't cut like the Eden 10's I had been using...but the Eden 10's didn't have the extended bass freq I was after. But I would hate to buy one 210 XST only to realize I really need two of them to get the goods...and from experience I know that is probably right when it comes to 210 cabs...BUT...a 310 might be the right balance between speaker surface area and lighter weight. Plus, there is something to be said for multiple drivers in a bigger box...bigger sound (think 410). I'm wondering if I am on the right track...so I am soliciting the advice/experience of fellow TBers who may have been down this road as well.

11. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Ok well, I don't have the exact cabs you are looking at but I used to use a 210 xlt and sold that to purchase my nyc 310. The deciding factor for me was when I did a huge outdoor gig with the 210 and could not hear myself. There were other factors that contributed to this problem which I won't go into but I had not been terribly happy with the results I was getting from the xlt. It had a good wooly type sound to it and for some things it was the perfect cab. Smaller gigs it worked really well on when I didn't have to push it. But anytime I did a larger venue it just wasn't the sound I was looking for. I found that the sound wasn't focused enough, what was there was a good tone but it just seemed to evaporate about 10 feet out from the cab.

I had the opportunity to play through a friends 310 and knew I had found the cab for me. Great focus and punch and it sounded good throughout the room. I started using my wt-400 with it but found that the 310 liked a lot of power so I went to a demeter/stewart set-up and couldn't believe the difference. The booty is there and the highs are clear, something I could never get out of the eden, even with the horn turned almost all the way down it was still way too clanky for me. The highs on the epi are nice and smooth without being at all harsh.

Not sure if this helped at all or not but there it is.

12. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for the input Zon! I had an 210XLT...my least favorite Eden cab I ever owned. I worry with Epi that it will not cut as well as Eden. To your ears is the Epi 310 scooped? I've read posts allude to the UL series having a more present midrange than the NYC. Maybe the UL is closer to the Eden aggressive cut? Anyone?

13. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I have noticed a very slight amount of scooped midrange. But to my ears it's not at all unpleasant or lacking. I can't compare the nyc to the ul since i haven't heard a ul but between the eden and the epi i have never had a problem cutting through a mix with the epi, I did however have that problem at times with the eden.

14. I use the Eden WP100 and the WT1000 bridged....The tech at Eden said that it could have been something faulty with the speaker. I just sent it back to be reconed or replaced. I personally never thought I would have this type of issue with this cabinet.

15. One last thing...To answer some of the questions....The cabinet was less than one year old, I was not using any other cabinets. I had the WP100 set at 12:00 and the gain and master on the WT1000 were at 12:00. I was not pushing the cabinet at all.....

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's seeee ... 1,000 watts into a 350-watt cabinet ... could it beeee ... SATAN?

17. Your talking about the XLT at 350...The XST is 500 and yes SATAN has been in every cabinet I've ever owned!

18. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmmmm good to know, but to be fair you were pumping twice the rated wattage into the cab.

19. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I used to run my WT800 bridged into my 410XLT- preamp on 11:00, master between 9:00-11:00...never ever more than half way up...the rig would cut you in half at those settings. With your rig putting out considerably more power, I'd say you were pushing a 210, no matter what the brand or rating, devilishly hard. Add a second 210 for those outdoor high volume shows...I would never expect a 210 to cut it by itself on a big stage. A small to medium club, yes, the right 210 with the proper power "should" be ok...but maybe just ok...hence the reason for my post...is that third ten going to be the answer...one extra driver...larger cab or in a moderate volume setting, is the XST enough.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I did get a chance to compare the T-210XST and the T-310 about a year and half ago. I did like the sound of the T-210XST a lot. In fact, I'd rate it at one of my two favorite Eden cabs (along with the 212XLT). However, I do agree with some of the sentiment above that you may want/need two of them to really cover a medium-size and up gig. They do have a very full-range, mostly uncolored sound, and tonally are very nice.

The T-310 most definitely will move more air. It is slightly mid-scooped, and has lots of thick low end. Ultimately, I preferred the sound of a T-112/T-110UL to the T-310 (the 1x12/1x10 were much more balanced and articulate, and had better upper mid clarity and presence). Either the T-310 or T-212 would seem to fit your bill.

If you are really looking for a great (relatively) lightweight one cab solution, I might also suggest an Accugroove Whappo, Jr. (with neo drivers) or a Tri 210L. Both of these cabs are far lighter and easier to move around than you would guess by looking at them, and both sound very full, loud, and uncolored.

We have lots of options nowadays. It's a good time to be a bass player! I still think that if you like your Bergies but just want a bit more heft, you may like a T-112 underneath your HT112.

Good luck, Tom.