1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani UL-110s & Markbass LMII Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post up a quick review of this combo if anyone is interested. I'm not much for "technical terms" but I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

I was using a GK700RB with the UL110s but decided to go with something smaller. I've heard great things about the LMII so I decided to order one. I've been pleasantly suprised.

Portability
    At 22lbs each for both of the Epi's and 6lbs for the LMII, this is the smallest rig I've ever had with the biggest sound. The LMII is small enough that it'll fit in the front side of my double electric bass bag (I usually just carry one bass with me anyway) thus eliminating one more piece of equiptment to carry around.

Volume
    Prior to the LMII, I had to use both UL110s to get the volume I need for the big band. Well, last night I had a "sit in" gig that I thought was a small group but actually was a big band in a theater. I had only brought one UL110 and was worried that it wouldnt be enough. The LMII pumped out clean, loud enough sound at little over quarter volume to get me heard throughout the band on stage. I was SHOCKED that this small of a rig could do that.

Sound Quality
    I've never heard my upright and electric sound this good amplified. There is no other way to put it. I can't speak, right now, on how good the EQ is on the LMII because I havent had to use it yet. Markbass is RIGHT when they say the LMII was made to play with the EQ flat. With other amps, I've had to tweak between electric and upright. With this amp, a little tweaking on the VLE and VPF and I was set to go.

Also, there was no hiss or hum at all coming from the cab. The DI was VERY VERY clean coming through the house from what the sound man said.

Complaints/Gripes
    Only complaint about the LMII I have is I wish it had a mute button for switching basses. I did buy a planet waves circuit breaker cable which has a mute button in the cable but it would be nice to have it on the amp. Also an independent DI volume with a pre/post EQ switch would give this amp every single feature I'd want.

Summary
    Overall, I'm 100% pleased with this setup so far. I wish I could give a better review with how it sounds with both UL-110s, but I just havent needed it yet. Tonight I have a gig that I'll take both and maybe get to use them.

This setup is the definition of an ultra portable modular amp setup without sacraficing sound quality.

I couldn't be happier so far. If anyone has specific questions, please let me know

[​IMG]

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    those little epifani's are quite the joy. they'll even make the MB stuff sound good. ;)

3. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    damn you!!!!!

and damn this forum... all this forum does is give people G.A.S.

I was a happy man before this forum... LOL!!!!

Honestly, it looks like an awesome rig. Congrats!

4. No doubt, man! I didn't know about most of these brands until I signed up for this forum. Its been all down hill since then! :)

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Another +1 on the UL Series. I have a UL410. AWESOME cab and tone!

6. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    lol, as soon as i saw the picture my initial reaction was "Damn, I really want that! I'm tired of lugging around my HT322 + Aguilar DB750" even though I've only had that rig for about 3 months...lol not to mention that i absolutely love that rig for what it is "BIG GOODNESS" but in my heart of hearts I adore "mini rigs of DOOM" I'm sure it sounds awesome!

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I love my LMII and 2x Berg 12s, but it's threads like this that make me wonder if I can do it even lighter and smaller.

Hmm... a pair of UL-110s shouldn't set me back too much :p :help:

8. Update:

Well just got back a big band gig tonight. Mainly upright but with a few songs on electric. I brought both UL-110's tonight. All I can say is WOW. Maybe I don't get out much or havent tried enough amps, but the MB/Epi combo is simply amazing. Tonight was a totally different venue then the theater yet I didn't have to mess with the EQ at all. Just adjusted the filters a little bit and I was ready to go. I'd say tonight I didnt have to go over 1/3 volume to keep up with the band. The biggest thing that surprised me was 3hrs of playing and the amp wasnt hot AT ALL. Its was like I hadnt even turned it on.

Sound difference between 1 UL-110 and 2 UL-110s? Not much (which is a good thing) except louder. In my past experience using one vs two cabs the sound changes quite a bit. Thats what I like about the Epi's. What you get with one cab is what you get with both. No surprises at the gig. The only thing I can say is it seemed as if the fundamental low notes seems a bit tighter, but nothing to write home about.

I am convinced that even though it was a 20 piece big band without me running through the PA and a band that plays HARD, I could've gotten by with one cabinet.

I'm 110% please with this setup. Finally, I feel as if I had a setup that hasn't left me wanting something different.

9. I know Aguilar's are different animals than Bergs, but I was running 2 GS112s before I went with the UL-110s. I made the switch and haven't looked back since. I was afraid that I was going to loose some of that "booty" 12s give but the 10's do it just fine if not better.

Not to mention my back is thanking me every time I unload and load at a gig..

10. Cool, Cool.

But now I have to decide between 2 UL 1x10s or 2 UL 1x12s :eyebrow:

11. Why not one of each? I forget who it is but I believe there is someone on the board who is running one of each with great results.

12. Yeah, I saw that too. I dunno. It would be cool, but it might bug me to stack two cabs of different widths :p

13. heheh. I'm like that too..

The voices in your head are telling you to get 2 UL-110s :)

14. The UL 4x10 has the ultimate tone for me (I play through it at Bass Northwest whenever I go there). So do you think the UL 1x10 would have basically the same tone, just with less volume?

15. Honestly, I've never tried a UL 4x10 cab so I couldn't say. I would suspect it would be a different tone but hopefully someone else could answer it better for you.

16. It probably does sound different. I just know I don't need and can't be carrying around a 4x10 cab like that. As good as it sounds.

Now I just need someone to buy/trade my Epifani NYC 1x15 cab...;)

17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There are a rather large number of us who think the UL110,
    UL112 boxes together are very special. Lows, highs, mids,
    and great volume for such a small speaker set up.
    I vote one of each! jmho

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    doubtful,

the 410 just pushes waay more air and has a bigger feel than the pair of 1x10's. and yes, i hoped too. :(

19. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just want to point out a couple of things.
    The SA450 that i have has a level control for the line out (ive not seen the XLR described as a DI out as i think its line level but i guess it does the same job) and it has a pre/post EQ switch. Its basically the same sound and power but with a little bit more in the EQ controls.
    There is a jumper inside the LMII that will let you set the line out to either pre or post EQ. i have a pdf explaining this if you need it. Its very easy to do
    I liked the review. im looking to get a small cab to replace my 1210 and an Epifani is top of my list at the moment.

20. Actually, the UL112 sounds very similar to my ear to the 410UL regarding mid presence and punch.... if I were looking for a small gig cab that would keep me in the tonal range of the 410UL, it would be the UL112.

I had a couple of T110's for a short while, and have tried the UL110's. While they would sound great for DB, they in no way generated enough low end or pushed enough air for any sort of decent EB sound even at moderate volumes in a pop/funk/rock setting. A jazz setting, where note definition is much more important than 'holding down the low end' I would think (as posted above) two 110UL's would work just fine.

A number of TBers use the 110UL/112UL stack, and that seems to work very well in a variety of moderate volume situations. The larger 112UL cab (still stupid light and small though) adds that very important deeper low end at moderate volumes to fill out the sound of an EB in a pop/funk/rock setting.

IME... one UL112 puts out more volume and fuller low end than the 2 x 110 stack... those very small boxes, even when coupled, don't seem to be capable of generating any significant air movement in the deep bass region (I think that's just the physics of the darn thing!).

However... don't mean to dump on the thread originators rig.... for the type of gigs he's doing, I'm sure the little stack sounds awesome!