Epifani UL 310 vs. Epifani UL 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D-funk, Sep 1, 2005.

1. D-funk

Nov 28, 2000
    Does anyone have experience with volume levels between these two cabs? Is the increase in volume and punch when using the UL 410 a substantial one?
    I've seen a couple of comments that the difference is negligible but am about to purchase one or the other next week and just wanted to check back again.

I suppose the answer might depend on which amp you are using. In this case, I'll begin by using my Aguilar 500 AG (500 watts @ 4 ohms). I know this is probably about the minimum power the UL 410 needs, but I also might get a more powerful amp.. so didn't want to completely base my decision on the fact that I now have the Aguilar (after all, the cab is expensive enough to be flexible about the head i'll end up using :D)

2. I own and use both regularly. I personally find a very large difference in the low end projection and bottom (and hence general volume) between the 310UL and 410UL. Of course, for moderate volume and even relatively loud gigs, the 310UL covers it great, and the general sound of the cabs is very similar. However, for those times when you really are playing aggressively at volume, especially with a 5 string bass, the 410UL puts out much more ooomph. Also, my TF550 drives my 410UL (4ohm) just fine...the UL line of cabs (at least the 210, 310 and 410, which are the ones I'm very familiar with) are very, very efficient.

The 410UL is so light, that if you have an SUV or van, I would definitely go for it. If you have a regular car.... it might not fit and the 310UL might be the way to go.

Edit: Another indication.... no matter how loud the gig (being a freelancer, I rarely get PA support on the types of gigs I do), I never take the wheels off the 410UL, even though they are removable... plenty of bottom. For the 310UL, more often than not, I'll remove the castors to couple to the floor a little more solidly and 'help' the bottom out a little bit.
  3. D-funk

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks a lot K-Jung! In that case, I am definitely inclined to go with the 410. I think the New York taxi-cabs have a deep enought trunk to fit that, but will try to find out at Epifani when I'm grabbin' the cabinet.
    Are you a Thunderfunk advocate over the Aguilar AG 500? I know they're both rated the same..
  4. Boy, I don't think you are going to fit that 410 in a cab trunk or backseat... it's light but it's big. I think Joker or somebody can comment on the 310UL and a cab (the taxi kind :D ). I am crazy about my TF550 with the switch. I've only played the Ag500 in a store... seemed nice too, but have not A/B'd.

If you are a NY guy that takes cabs... man, I think I'd consider two 112UL's. I've never used this rig, but TBer after TBer says it's amazing... and you would have the option of taking just one to smaller gigs.

Edit: I've heard wonderful things about the Epi502... if you are heading over to Nick's shop... make sure to try out the 502 and the two 112's... it might really get you there.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

dunno if the 4x10 would fit back there. maaaaaaaaaybe in the backseat thx to the extra wide doors, but i'm not too sure about that either. :(