Epifani UL-502

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ramrod, Sep 21, 2006.

1. ramrod

ramrod

Apr 6, 2006
    Hello All,
    I have a newer Epifani UL-502 and was considering buying a DI box (Radial, Avalon, etc). I was wondering. Has anyone had any experience with the Epifani DI? Is it even neccessary for me to buy a DI box? I spoke to Nick and he indicated that his DI is "on par" with the Avalon U5. Any thoughts?

Madmike

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would think the ul502's DI is just as high end as the avalon. I don't think you need another DI at all.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the DI on the epifani is great. like most other high end preamps / heads, no signal degredation AFAIK. nick actually prides himself on how great it sounds. i'll be doing some recording this weekend, so i'll see for myself. ;)

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    It's a great sounding DI, although most sound techs prefer to use their own supplied DI's so I let them do what they want. One sound company we've used many times allowed me to use the Epi DI and they really liked it. I let the sound techs do what they want, they're there for you so I wouldn't want to get on their bad side. :bag: :p

5. The DI on the Epifani is great as it concerns sound quality, clean signal, etc. - but please do not make the mistake of thinking that you can use both channels and have the level be even through the D.I. to your board.

It, bluntly, is not a flat level D.I. - I tried everything I could to include quite a bit of emailing to Nick and company about trying to get the levels to be even (in order to use both channels of the head without a completely new sound check to set gain structure on the P.A. when switching basses).

We couldn't figure it out...and I had to sell the Quest II (your UL 502 has the same preamp front end) as I needed to be able to switch channels as setup for different basses and have a reasonably even signal level to the board. My Raven Labs unit does that for me (levels the signal for three instruments), so the Quest was unneeded as the tone through it and Demeter preamp were actually quite close with the edge going to the Dem unit.

Just something to keep in mind if you're planning to use the D.I. and use both channels in a given show through the P.A.

Jay

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021