Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani UL or regular

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I know, I know...I've read the threads on the new UL cabs from Nick. And this is probably what is causing me grief.

It looks like I just sold one of my other cabinets so I have a very good portion of the funds for a new Epifani T-310.

At first I was content to just get one of the regular cabs and be happy with that. But then I was thinking that it's a couple of hundred more for the 50 pounder so I'm pretty set on getting that one. My back would thank me for doing that.
    But I read Joker's review again and noticed that he did say that the UL had a different tone. And then I read the post from the guy that tried out the regular T-310 and didn't dare sway from that one because it was so close to his ideal tone.

Whoo-boy, now I guess I need to flip a coin and let the fates decide???

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you and mean both! ;)

i'm seriously thinkin' about an ultralite 3x10, but dunno if the 4x10 would be better, volume-wise, for the upcoming gigs i'm thinking of using it on.

guess its time for ROUND 2!!!

3. Try them both and let your ears decide;)

For me the UL series would win every time because of the weight factor, unless the sound really sucked.

If you need a lighter weight cab you will have to accept a different [but not necessarily worse] sound than from the heavy series.

Regards

Matthew

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it was my thread afforementioned... and yes, it was THE tone! i don't want to lose that clear focus... keep in mind that until very recently, i was considering an aggie 4x12, or some sort of 6x10 (or even 8x10 if the right deal came along). i wanted to have one monster kind of do-it-all cabinet. in comparison, the 98 lbs. of the regular t-410 doesn't seem so bad. besides, i have dollies and hand-trucks to help in transport from car to gig.

i'm not sure if i'll have the help of my drummer or guitarist brother anymore with the potential end of my current band coming up rather soon, so transport IS somewhat of a factor. i may need to be able to get it out of my car myself and onto the dollie and anything as big as the other cabinets, moreso than their weight, may be detrimental to my back.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    When I compared the older 310 to the ultra-light version, I thought I heard a bit less "grunt" out of the light one. Coulda been my imagination. I'm keeping my old one, in any case.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If anyone is getting rid of their old Epi cabs in favor of the UL's, i'd be interested in buying them from you :)

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Joker, are you planning this anytime soon?

Lordy, the T-310 is rated at 750 watts and prettydarn(yeah that's a word, look it up :))efficient. I'm thinking that maybe this could possibly replace my Aggie GS410. But the T-410UL is the ONE that got the stellar review from Terry. (Note: I wish that he would have included what amp/preamps he was using in his review). I've gotten to the point where I just don't want to lug the weight. I'm really digging the pair of baby Bergantino's that I got because of the portabilty/size issue. The T-310 is not much bigger than most 2x10's which is prettydarn(there's that word, again)nice.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    If boogieB says it, it must be law. ;)

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes! Big Joe, it was your words that helped to get me thinking going with the "regular" one.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but there's a good chance that in their test room, it was the old Demeter VTBP 1.2 rack & Hafler power amp, and the Ampeg SVT head.

JJ,

i'm planning to get one as soon as i sell some more stuff. i made a promise to myself, that i'd sell two things for every one thing i bought. :rolleyes:

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Not even, bro! ;) But if I say it, I believe it. For whatever that is worth...

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey,

if a guy with 50 or more basses says so, i'd believe it too... ;)

i'll keep what you said in mind next week when i go in to try out some more larger cabs.

13. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I haven't heard the Epi ultralite. I did try all the Ampeg porta bass cabs, which has neo speakers. Didn't float my boat at all. Very light cabs, though. Sound lacked balls. The Epi's have neos I assume. I see comments like "less grunt". Kinda what I thought about the porta bass cabs.

14. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Joker,

- I was referring to the Terry Buddingh review in BP mag for the T-410UL. He ususally lists the other associated equipment that he has used. He also used a bass that I'm completely not familiar with although I read the review on that bass several months ago.

- You are a better man than I about 2 things going out for each coming in. But I did sell a cab so I could afford the Epifani.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nope,

they're a type of neo speaker, but from another manufacturer very different from what Ampeg is using.

AFAIK, ampeg's merely jamming Celestion's versions in there. while, Epifani had designed their own in conjunction with a smaller european company who's making them for Epi now.

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was talking to David King (King Basses) awhile back as he is an Epifani dealer. He said that Nick was over in Italy to work out the details on the speakers. David said that Nick just didn't like any of the stuff from the usual builders.

My leaning right now is for the regular T-310 considering that the cab is fairly small to begin with. And 20 pounds more isn't that bad. I've got my trusty Commander 600.

This also will allow me to look at the used market as I haven't seen any of the UL cabs coming up used.

17. Like many of you, I've been waiting for one of you guys (Joker ya hear me) take one home and give it a good review after some gigs/rehearsals. I respect the BP reviewers but I don't always agree. Please, somebody buy the UL 4x10 so I can make up my mind.

I love my older 3x10 but I need to move more air and lugging a 98 lbs. box isn't appealing any more. I'm strongly considering adding a second 3x10 (older style). Add a Epi 2x12 and WOW!!!

Deep breath......OK I'm better. I'll wait for some one to take the plunge.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Seeems to be a misconception that all speakers with Neodymium magnets will sound the same. They wont....

19. I wanted to build Bill Fitzmaurice's DR10a (killer 1x10 horn bass cab) and he mentioned B&C Speakers -- I read the specs and had to have one. I asked the distributor for a quote and they replied that they'd sell me a neo 12 but B&C didn't make a neo 10. I faxed the spec sheet to them and got no reply. OK so I go to the Epi UL page and see they haven't found the magic neo 12 yet, but they sure have found the 10, and at the same time the availability of B&C neo 10s dried up so fast the distributor didn't know the deal . . . well OK, that's my guess for Epi's new neo driver supplier, B&C of Italy. Annoyed me so much I couldn't build the horn, went and bought an Aguilar GS-212 instead. Maybe I'll build it around a Gamma 10A when I cool down, which will probably take a year.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've been waiting for someone to post the actual name of the speaker company Epifani are using. Until now everyone's been saying "that little known Italian company". So it's B&C speakers after all.

Can I say this folks, B&C do not make anything crap. They're speakers have been used in high end PA applications for a long time.

If you ever wanna hear what B&C are capable of, go and listen to a "NEXO" brand PA in action and I can guarantee you'll be impressed. OK Nexo are probably not the best example because they have a signal processor that monitors the voice coil via simulation (seriously new technology). The result is a tiny PA that can blow away much larger traditional systems. But Nexo could have chosen any speakers for their product (I'm I've been told even experimented with RCF, another heavyweight), but chose B&C.

Something tells me these Epifani lightweights ae going to be seriously good........ can someone please bring them into Australia.........