Epifani UL- Two 1x12's vs. 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

I was just woundering about how two Epifani 1x12's sounds compared to a 2x12. Does the 2x12 have more fully bottom or they sound all most alike?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not heard any of the Epifani 2x12's, but I own two of the T-112's (non-UL) and two T-110UL's. Normally, I prefer one T-110UL and one T-112 to two T-112's (my Walter Woods Ultra being the exception - it just rawks with two T-112's). So, I throw this out there only to suggest that you might want to also consider the mix/match of T-110UL/T-112. The 110 adds some upper midrange clarity and presence that is otherwise somewhat lacking.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I agree with him.
  4. All I know is when I tried out my Epifani 2x12 (side version), I also tried 2 1-12's and the lower end was tighter, more articulate, and even a bassier sounding with the latter combination. I got the 2x12 though because Nick gave me such a good deal on it when I went to Epifani to check them out. I would've had to spend $400 more to get them individually and at the time I didn't have the money.

He hooked me up cheap with the 2x12. I think I got it for $600.00- $650.00 max. This was in 2000 if I recall correctly. That is still the only cab that I play. I actually called up Nick last week and asked him how the UL cabs sound and he said that the one I bought is his favorite cab that he ever built ever made because of the speakers being side by side and how it increased the projection compared to the newer Epiani's whose speakers are "katty-corner". However the earlier 2x12 versions were not stackable-friendly, so he changed the design due to players request.

Anyways, I digress...
    So there is a drawback money wise, but if you can swing it financially, you just can't beat splitting up the speakers. It doesn't matter if it is 2 1x12 or 1 1x12 and 1 1x10, the sound will be be enhanced.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own the older T-212 (side by side) and T-112. The 212 is very focused and works well by itself. It's also superb when matched up with another 4 ohm cab like the Epi T-310. I only have the one T-112 so I haven't compared two of them to the 212. The T-112 is a great little cab, however, and I imagine two would be exceptional and would give you the flexibility of taking one or both depending on room size.
  6. Thanks Guys.

Well, I do have two 1x12's and I really like them.
    But I getting to like the idea of 1x10 and 1x12! Maybe I can borrow a 1x10UL from a friend and then see how it works.
    But $449 for a 1x10 isn't cheap.

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would always go with the individual cabs. Gives you more options.
  8. just wondering, what can a 450$ 1x10 cab do that a 230$ 2x10 avatar, or 280$ (avatar PRO) cannot do?

9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most any cabs split in pairs vs. one cab have shared a few things in common, IME.

i.e. the pair will sound bigger, "wetter", more diffuse. while the single cab will be more focused and somewhat beamy.

that's what i found when i had a pair of UL210's vs. Capt. Scarlet's UL410, and what i know from my Acme B-1 pair vs. my current B-2.

but up to your ears.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried this with a lot of cabs (though maybe I should with the ACME's), but with my EA VL-108's and VL-208's, the opposite was true. Two VL-108's had a more focused, precise, cutting and clear tone, whereas the VL-208 sounded bigger, more full, and slightly less articulate (but only in comparison to the two VL-108's). Now that I think about it, I believe I had similar results with the VL-110's and VL-210. Maybe it's an "EA thing?"

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I ran two T-112's for a long time and loved, loved, loved it. It was so portable and extremely flexible. Mine were not UL's.

You're also gaining an extra tweeter when running the pair of 1-12, which you may or may not care about. I always ended up rolling the tweeter off on one of them.
  12. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004

I don't know why he thinks that you get more projection from speakers being side by side. When speakers are aligned like that you have the potential for some of the frequencys to be filtered out by phasing.
    Cabinets with the speakers set on an angle have less of this filtering.
  13. Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Perhaps because you can set the cab on its side?
  14. So how does one say "Epifani?" I for some reason have always seen the word as an Italian name (say Eh-pih-fahn-ee) until the other day I heard someone use the word 'epiphany' and then I went [click]!

Now I am feeling stupid.
  15. care to explain
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and that it is. :)
  17. LOL. And now as I look at my attempt to SOUND out the word, I see it really does NOTHING for emphasis, which is half of the question.

So, in conclusion, it IS epi-FAWNEY, correct?

18. clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    I was mentioning epi gear to my teacher (who is not a big gear head) and he said he had heard of it, but thought it was called "epiphany" (pronounced that way atleast).. Yes, these cabs may be a sudden realization to people, but i think its pronounced more like epi-fahn-ee.
  19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Actually, epi-fah-nee is probably more accurate.